Home

Day of the Dead

JediMaster12

As most of you know Halloween was October 31. Well this thread is about the Mexican holiday called El Dia de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. It was brought over by the Spaniards in 1520 and it became integrated into the native belief system much quicker than Christian conversion due to the fact that these people dealed with death regularly. The whole notion of this is the idea that the soulds of the dead return to their familes to enjoy a meal; a way of remembering your loved ones and ancestors.

Traditionally there is an altar where there is an offering of mole, tamales, pan dulce and day of the dead bread along with drink like pulque, beer and soda. There is also copal incense, salt, and an arch of flowers. There are also candles and pictures of the deceased that you are remembering. The principle flower and one in bloom this time of year is the marigold and its petals are used to light the way for the sould traveling the path. In small villages, it is a big event and often families would go close to being bankrupt to put a good show on their altars. It was a means of prestige but also showed your generosity. Other items includede calacas or paper mache skeletons dressed like people and sugar skulls. The sugar stuff is what the kids go for.

Day of the Dead corresponds to the Catholic All Souls Day. Traditionally it is two days. Starting on Nov. 1 the souls of the children come and on Nov. 2 the souls of the adults and the lost souls come. There are no spooky stuff or anything like that but it is a rememberance type thing. There are some stories centered around it regarding why it is important to set up an altar and it is a means to teach children to honor those that have died.

Thanks for the insight Hall. I mentioned Mexico mainly because it is my region of study.

To add more to the concept, the calacas, the skeletons dressed as people like mariachi and the like are relatively expensive therefore are only seen in cities.

Here in the US I have seen it being practiced in California. I went to Los Angeles to Olvera street and to tell the truth, it is different than what my advisor describes it. There was dancing, music and there were people dressed as calacas with their faces painted.

One person that you see a lot of being honored for Day of the Dead is Frida Kahlo, an artist of the 1930's. She was an artist who painted her world as she saw it, a world of pain and a flirtation with death since she was nearly killed in a bus accident when she was a teenager. She was married to Diego Rivera and their double house is a famous museum in Mexico. Another example of how the dead are honored.

I heard about this holiday long ago. It has an interesting ring to it, but I didn't know all the details about it until now. Also, the topic of this thread reminded me of my favorite adventure game - Grim Fandango, in which the holiday is also mentioned.

Archived