Home

Seagate to offer 300 Terabyte HDD by 2010

Sabretooth

then the question is: who will make the next big OS???

i would like to think that it would be a Linux derivative or something from Macintosh, but i doubt that would ever happen. i certainly don't see M$ losing any ground over the next ten years or so if trends remain as they are.

the bottom line is that although people like to complain and poke fun at M$, they still dominate the computer software industry, and they will likely continue to do so for quite a length of time.

bah, what am i arguing for?? this isn't the right thread....

lolz...no argument - just some very clever fellows pondering the big questions !

Rumblings at MS and other places are indicating that MS will be releasing source code for basic functionalities. So you could end up with open source variants of windows derivatives - each with a different functional slant --- Like Linux *sorta* does.

I like they idea very much. If you are a student why the hell do you need the full bloatware of vista to research stuff and type up stuff. If you are a gamer, do you need the advanced business functions Vista includes. If you are a media center system builder(*puts hands up*) it would be great to have that tiny slice of the OS available !

Still, I like the idea of windows Quattro - lets see what MS can do with it :)

mtfbwya

Man, that's almost an unnecessary amount of storage. I remember when like 5gb drives were huge - just think that eventually we'll think that 500gb drives were tiny :eek:

i wouldnt say unnecessary - especially for those running large databases/server etc. Also with the advent of Windows Home Server, a large centralised storage device for all media would require some heavy duty type of storage.

mtfbwya

I remember back in the day when most PCs had NO hard drives, just a floppy drive, maybe two if you were lucky. :)

Then again, MS-DOS was only, what, a couple hundred KB, if that.

300TB will probably become the norm 10-15 years from now, if not sooner, just like 300GB is now, and 300MB was 10-15 years ago.

Archived