Home

[FIC] KOTOR III: Covenant

Right, this will be a (hopefully) full-length fic, based on KOTOR III, my take on the story. i have 2 beta-testers (KotoRevan and Greymaster) so thanks to them, i'll start with the prologue and post updates, probably by chapter, as i go along, and after they've been proof read by the 2 mentioned above. So thanks, and comments are very welcome :D

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III: Covenant

Prologue

Dantooine.

Having been devastated by the Sith during the recent Jedi Civil War, the orange light of sunset fell upon a world breathing it’s dieing breaths. The settlers had either been killed, or had subsequently fled as refugees, in the hope of scratching a living on Nar Shadaa or some other haven for people who have lost everything.

But Dantooine was not completely dead. Not today. There was a ship there. It had the look of a freighter to it, old, and it had the look of a vessel barely space worthy. And yet, here was a ship that had belonged to various owners, legal and illegal, had flown the Kessel run, outrun Sith fighter squadrons and Interdictor cruisers, and penetrated the defenses of the Star Forge. The Ebon Hawk had probably visited more different worlds than a large proportion of the Republic fleet put together.

The owner of the ship was currently wandering the ruins of the old Jedi Enclave, picking through the rubble, listening to the ghosts of the dead Jedi, not searching for anything, letting his memory do the work. It was, he would have admitted, a hopeless task, as the rubble had buried most of what would be of any value anyway, yet memories are just as valuable, depending on whom they belong to. Right now, the man walking the cracked and sundered ruins had enough of them to last anyone.

The fact that it was the actions of this man that, directly or not, had brought about the destruction of this once beautiful planet, along with many others, made it all the more painful. For this reason, he could not stay. Would not stay.

Returning to the ship, he noticed someone sitting on a ledge overlooking the old farming fields, now golden in the sunset. Treading softly closer, he got a view of the face, and smiled softly to himself.

“I’m impressed you found me Bastila, though I came alone for a reason” he whispered in her ear.

She started, but saw who it was, and calmed down just as quickly.

“I need to know that reason. You know I can’t just let you sneak off behind my back.”

“Of course I know that. I suppose you deserve to know what I plan to do…”

She looked round, puzzled and possibly slightly afraid, which worsened at the grim look in his face.

“I have already spoken to Carth, and left orders with Canderous, re-programmed HK-47 and made sure the Republic is as secure as I can make it.”

Bastila still look confused, not understanding.

“I cannot stay here. Where I am going, I cannot tell you, but it is somewhere I have to go alone. Allies, those I care about, will leave me vulnerable, all the more with you. I now not what it is I am searching for, only that I will know it when I find it. I am taking T3 with me, and the Hawk. You know I love you, and for that reason, you must stay here. I can’t make you understand, but please trust me when I say I know what I am doing.”

Bastila was silent for a moment ,and nodded her head.

“I understand. I think. But I can’t bear the though of losing you after so little time together. It has only been a year, and you are leaving us all? I will not try and stop you, but know that I will always be thinking of you. Revan, swear to me you will return. Please.”

“I swear it. Have you got your own ship?”

She nodded.

“Then I will leave you here. I say it again, I swear to you I will return.”

He turned, walking up the ramp, not looking back so she would not see the tears in his eyes.

Okay, nice start:

When people are talking, and sometimes when they're thinking, you should always have your fiction organized, giving them their own paragraph.

Returning to the ship, he noticed someone sitting on a ledge overlooking the old farming fields, now golden in the sunset. Treading softly closer, he got a view of the face, and smiled softly to himself.

“I’m impressed you found me Bastila, though I came alone for a reason” he whispered in her ear.

She started, but saw who it was, and calmed down just as quickly. “I need to know that reason. You know I can’t just let you sneak off behind my back.”

“Of course I know that. I suppose you deserve to know what I plan to do…”[/Quote]

Also it might be best for you to doublespace after each paragraph, so it's not so hard to follow for the readers.

Bastila still look confused, not understanding.[/Quote]

There are some other sentences and parts in your fiction that I've noticed similar to this line. If you already stated that Bastilla was confused (obviously meaning she doesn't understand), then there really isn't any point in adding, "not understanding." Keep an eye out for those mistakes.

As far as spelling goes, I couldn't find any errors. (besides made-up and fiction names)

So, follow this advise, and you'll be on a role!

• 2 weeks later...

Here's chapter 1, awaiting the final beta-ing. I couldn't contain myself :) Chapter 2 is finished as well actually, but i'll hang fire for a bit.

Anyway, without further ado:

Chapter 1: The Council.

Six years on...

“Sir, we’re receiving a distress signal, we believe it to be a light freighter of some sort, coming from further out to space, from the Unknown Regions.”

“Try and get a signature on the ship, but bring it in nonetheless. I won’t let a crippled ship be torn apart; we all know what it’s like out there…”

“Very good sir.”

“Sir… the ship, it’s the Ebon Hawk.”

The captain’s face went very still.

“Bring it aboard at once. Locate Admiral Onasi. Now.”

The Jedi Exile stood on the bridge of the Courier, looking out onto the deep blue surface of Mon Calamari. She was deep in thought, so much so that she did not notice when the captain of the ship tried to catch her attention.

“I said who is the passenger you have brought aboard? We have him in the medbay at the moment.”

“Oh, sorry. I was miles away… I’m afraid I can’t tell you who he is. It would put us all in danger, whether intentionally or not. I must get him to Dantooine as soon as possible.”

“As you wish ma’am. We have contacted Carth Onasi, and told him we have the Ebon Hawk. I hope this will not endanger us?”

“Carth Onasi? Ah, yes…. No, he will present no danger. It was he who sent me on this mission of mine in the first place. Do you know when he will arrive?”

“Not yet ma’am, though we expect him to be no more than half a standard day or so.”

The Exile brushed some hair out of her eyes as she replied.

“That will stretch us a little thin. No matter. We await his arrival.”

Carth and the Exile stood in the medbay, watching over the second occupant of the Ebon Hawk. His condition was stable, yet he was in a deep coma, and seemed unlikely to awaken very soon. A small utility droid, rusted and battered, with many rivets in it’s plating, stood inactive on the other side of the room.

Carth got a first look in 6 years at the man, since he had left them clueless, 1 year after the end of the Jedi Civil War, disappearing into Wild Space beyond the outer rim. 6 years had changed him. He still had the tanned skin, the strong build, though not particularly tall, he still had the tangle of black hair. There was a beard that had not been there before, as well as a scar running from his left eye, down his cheek, though it did not appear to have affected his sight. The main change was the aging of his features; no longer did they look so youthful. Now they looked worn, and tired.

“How is he?” asked Carth.

“We’re not sure. The medics found a number of surface injuries, but there seems to be no outward reason for his coma, that we can detect. It seems his mind has just shut down. We’re heading for the Jedi Enclave on Dantooine to see if the Jedi there can do anything about it.”

“Well, if you’re heading over there, I’ll get together some of the other Admirals, and Mandalore Ordo. I have a feeling that we will need to hear what he has to say when he wakes…”

The Dantooine Enclave still had a distinctly decrepit look to it, despite the extensive work done over the past two years to rebuild it. However, the planet was slowly rebuilding itself, settlers returning in greater numbers to the larger Khoonda plains settlement. The people having re-discovered their respect for the Jedi after the attack on Khoonda by mercenaries two years ago, meant that building and enhancing the Enclave and settlements had progressed quickly, and now Dantooine was close to being the safe haven it had been before the Civil War.

In the council chambers, the four Jedi Masters of the rebuilt Jedi order were deep in discussion. They were: Visas Marr, a Miraluka who travelled with the Exile; Mical, a Jedi trained by the Exile 2 years previously; Giano, a large, powerful man; and Bastila Shan, companion of Revan during the Civil War.

They were discussing, of course, the return of Revan to know space, and what it may mean for the Republic, which was starting to find its feet at last, after nearly a decade of war. The Jedi order itself had grown from only a couple of recognized Jedi after the death of the old Jedi Masters, to about one hundred. Few, however, were strong enough to become Masters, or even Knights, as most were found as force sensetives, and were only in the infancy of their connection to the force. As such, the order was still fragile. The return of Revan worried the council, yet gave them heart. It worried them because they felt a great dark presence in Revan, such as they had not felt since Darth Traya had been defeated at Malachor. On the other hand, very few of the people who had known Revan before he had disappeared, in their hearts, though Revan would ever return from the Unknown Regions. Until Revan awoke from his come, however, they would know nothing…

The room slowly swam into focus, turning from a big white blur to a faintly yellow blur. He could make out the shape of the room, and a few of the details. He couldn’t open his eyes… how long he had slept he did not know, but still he felt he could double, triple it. He could faintly make out the shape of a person in a brown robe sitting beside his bed, but could not see the face…

Then there was another figure. They were talking, whispering together. About what though? The details were becoming clearer now. He could see there was a large window to his left, though what was beyond it, he could not tell. The whole room was bathed in a golden light. Two people… he could not make out what they were doing. Examining some sort of console it seemed…

Now there were noises… faint, barely perceptible. It sounded like a murmur, a hum in the background, and behind that… wind? The rustle of leaves? All these plus the constant sound of his own breathing, thoughts and perceptions…

His eyes opened slightly, enough to see two shadows bent over him.

“Don’t try and move. I imagine you’re feeling… a little strange” whispered one of the figures.

“Where… is this?”

“Dantooine”.

A smile touched his lips.

“Ahh… where is the blonde haired Jedi? And T3? I can remember…” a panicked expression crossed his face momentarily.

“No, don’t try to remember… not until you feel you’re ready.”

The hood was lowered, revealing a face he knew and loved, yet changed slightly.

“I knew I recognized that voice… Bastila. How long have I been out?”

“Two days, since you were brought here on the Republic frigate. How long before that, I do not know.”

“Six years… six years since I left you all, not knowing why… I am sorry.”

“Don’t be,” she replied, her voice tender. He took his hand in hers.

“You’re back. That’s all that matters right now. When you’re feeling up to it, we can talk to the council… and fill you in.”

“Fill me in?” He let out a sigh. “Tell me the worst…”

“I can’t do that. Get some rest. You look like you need it.”

She smiled, kissed him on the brow, and walked out.

About an hour later, Revan had gained the energy to rouse himself, put on some Jedi robes, and wander the enclave and the surrounding groves and courtyards. The planet seemed so full of life compared the last time he had seen it, the smouldering ruins of the Sith bombardment now a long distant memory. Everywhere there was the hum of insect life, the chatter of small birds and animals, the rustle of wind through the trees, the rushing of water over rocks. Dantooine’s seemingly permanent yellow sheen, now touched by the glint of pure daylight, glancing off hilltops crowned with snow. It was exhilarating for him to stand somewhere with so much innocence, after so long wander the dark areas of the galaxy, the tainted areas. The enclave itself, a low slung building, almost clinging to a verdant hillside above the Khoonda plains, was a familiar place for Revan. It was here that, almost 8 years ago, he had been taken after being captured by the Jedi, to have his mind wiped, re-programmed with a new identity. Of course, such a move was risky, the Jedi knew that, but it was a risk that had to be taken, with the Republic struggling against the Sith, under the usurper, Darth Malak. It was he who told Revan who he once was, aboard the Leviathan… But Revan’s mind turned away from those particular memories. The shadows of the past were something he could do without.

The day was spent in solitude though he could sense the anxiety permeating the very stones of the building. He was being waited upon, he knew it. He deserved that much, he supposed. He had gone from saviour, to conqueror and back to saviour again. To have climbed to the heights he had, and yet to have fallen so low in the past, it was something extraordinary. He had today to find himself after so long being lost. As for what tomorrow would bring… who knew. It was funny, he thought, but he felt… light. Detached, almost. Over all this though he could feel the force flowing through him as never before.

Revan walked through the wide double doors to the council chambers, the sunlight filtered through the glass skylight throwing delicate and beautiful patterns on the polished floor.

He heard a muffled exclamation as he entered, though he could not identify where it had come from.

He walked slowly to the centre of the circle, where the four Masters were seated.

The oldest of them, Giano, invited Revan into one of the seats.

“You don’t have to stand before us like a Padawan learner,” he said, flashing a grin.

He gratefully sank into one of the chairs, still feeling drained even after two days of rest.

Looking around, he only recognized one of the faces, that of Bastila. The others: a large blonde man with deep blue eyes and a boyish face; a Miraluka with the customary cover over the eyes, in this case a maroon headdress; and the large bald man, Giano.

“I’ll introduce those you don’t know for you,” offered Bastila.

“On your right, Visas Marr,” she pointed out the Miraluka. “She was the apprentice of Darth Nihilus after the destruction of Katarr, but joined the Exile soon after.

“On your left, Mical who joined was part of the academy when the Jedi went to fight the Mandalorians, but left soon after. He has since been trained in the ways of the Jedi by the Exile.

“And last but not least, Giano, who was a Knight at the time of the Mandalorian wars, and has since been in refuge on the broken world of Ossus.”

Revan inclined his head at each of the Masters as they were introduced by Bastila.

“I became a Master as one of the original members when we reformed after… events over the last four or five years. You said you wanted filling in, well now is the time.”

“You mentioned the destruction of Katarr, Darth Nihilus, and the reformation of the Order. All of this is completely new to me. I think you’d better start from the beginning.”

“Very well. Not long after you left, Jedi started disappearing. We did know how or why…”

Bastila recounted the story of the Exile, and the Sith Triumvirate to Revan, how she met her companions, and the fall of Kreia, who had been besieged by guilt at the fall of Revan himself, as well as many of her other Padawan learners. Revan started at that, the news of one of his former Masters, and when Bastila mentioned the Masters’ reference to the Exile as the ‘death of the Force’, Revan looked surprised.

“Look at this tablet I found… on my travels. It’s some sort of script, or poem.”

It read:

The Life of the Force,

Defiant yet wise

Shall lead to victory and death, but to be redeemed.

The Death of the Force,

Walking a separate path

A leech, a wound, bonding through life.

The Sentinel,

Potential unrealised

Keeping order, restoring balance

To the Force.

“The first line seems to refer to me, I think. The second line sounds to me very much like the Exile, though I have no idea about who, or what, the last line refers to.”

“I have to agree with that,” said Mical. “I can’t think of anyone who would fit those guidelines yet.”

“Yet?” asked Revan.

“Well, it says ‘potential unrealised’. That suggests to me that, whoever it is, they have not yet found the power that would seem to be coming to them if it follows the pattern of the first two subjects. It also suggests that this tablet you have found is… peculiar. It appears to be able to look forward, yet we can all see it’s writing, engraved in stone. I can sense the force in it, as I’m sure you all can. May I ask where you found this?”

“In due time, certainly. For now, I would like to know how this story finished.”

They moved on to Malachor, and the Trayus Academy, which was another one of Revan’s discoveries when he fell.

“Where is the Exile now? She was the one who found me, brought me back, I feel I owe her thanks.”

“She is still on the planet, somewhere. Now, we must ask you where you went, what you were looking for, and most of all: what you found when you went to the Unknown Regions.”

“When I set off from Dantooine, I did not actually know what I was looking for. I just knew I would know it when I found it. I’m sure you know the feeling. I started off by just looking for areas particularly strong in the Force, and drew a blank. I occasionally came across remnants of the Sith, fleeing from the Republic, but nothing major. I basically just wandered the edges of the galaxy, the backwater planets, seeing of anything would find me. Eventually, when I was far out of reach of the Republic, I found an anomaly in the charts. It was a patch of space with nothing in it. But it should have had, there was the gravity pull suggesting a system, but it wasn’t there. There was just a suspiciously empty gap in that sector. I went to explore, and as I had suspected, there was a system there. It was strange though. There was a massive nebulae cloud surrounding large parts of it, and when I got past it, the strength of the force in the area was staggering. The largest system on the planet seemed to be the source of it. I landed there, programmed T3 to take the ship back the known space… and explored. It was a strange place. There was so much life, yet it was as if it didn’t belong there. And as I have said, the Force was incredibly strong there. As for what I found there… pain.” His voice cracked briefly. “I found the True Sith. They are a small order, only a hundred or so, but intensely dedicated to the Dark Side. I fought them, but I was not strong enough. They nearly destroyed me. The Force kept me alive I think, like it had at Malachor. I have not fallen to the Dark Side, nor will I. Yet I know the Exile could feel the dark side within me, as could the healers. I was unconscious for long periods of time; the last thing I remember was the Ebon Hawk landing. They know they’ve been found, they will now have to use the power they have been building up… You know, they corrupted me, at Malachor. They turned the Sith Triumvirate against each other. I think they were the mind behind the Infinite Empire… all those years ago.”

A thick silence descended on the chambers. The darkness of these words altered the atmosphere of the room, and it seemed to suck away all sound. The spell was broken by Bastila.

“The Builders… The creators of the Star Forge. We know they were strong in the Dark side of the Force. But their empire must have been larger than we thought for it to reach that far. Maybe they were also stronger than we thought.”

“So it would appear. I’m not sure what to make of this. Is it a threat we can prepare against? We do not even know what form it will take,” said Mical.

“We will discuss this further when Carth and Mandalore get here. Revan, if you want to find the Exile, you might as well go now. If you find her, tell her we also wish to speak with her in the council. Thank you for telling us this.”

Revan got up to leave.

“One more thing, Revan… We have granted you the title of Master. We feel you deserve it.”

He nodded, bowed slightly, and left.

“He is… changed. I’m not sure if it’s for the better or worse,” said Bastila after a few minutes.

“The strength of the Force within him is astonishing; it would not surprise me if that tablet did mean him when it said the Life of the Force. It is streaming off him,” exclaimed Giano. “By the way Visas… I notice you were unusually quiet. Why?”

“Well… you all see him through your eyes, in the physical world, but to look at him through the Force as we I do, it is fascinating yet frightening. As you have said, he is incredibly strong in the Force now, but to see it in this form brings it home so much more…”

“Yes, I can imagine. What does it look like, out of curiosity?”

“Ah… tough question. Imagine a whirlwind, of golden light around a silhouette, and you will be close.”

They sat in contemplation, mulling over Revan’s return, and the news it had brought.

Revan found the Exile on one of the wide walkways that encircled the Enclave, leaning against one of the low stone walls. She appeared to be deep in thought.

“I must ask… how did you find me? I would never be able to find that planet again, even if I wanted to.”

She looked around, to get a good look at him, conscious, for the first time in years.

“I just did the same as you did. I waited for something to find me. I asked around, looked for something, peculiar if you like.”

“You were looking for peculiar things in Wild Space? I’m surprised you ever had time to find me.”

“Hah… well, I noticed, as you did, that there was a suspiciously empty block of space. I investigated. I’m sure you can figure out the rest.”

“Fair enough.” He paused. “You look familiar to me. Have I seen you somewhere before? You look like someone from my past. Before the Civil War.”

“I… I was the one who activated the Mass Shadow Generator on Malachor. I destroyed it, along with hundreds of ships, thousands of beings. I was a General in your army, in the war against the Mandalorians. Do you remember?”

“The General? Well, I will admit I hardly expected you to survive that, much less go on to do what you have accomplished. I would rather not talk about it though, given the choice. That time is painful to me, as I’m sure it is to you.”

“You would be correct.”

They stood in silence for a few moments, trying not to remember.

“Well, I must give you my thanks. There was also a message from the Jedi: they request your presence at a council tomorrow. They also ask you contact Atton Rand, as he will also be needed.”

“I will do that.”

The next few days were fraught, re-unions with old friends overshadowed by the overall debate on what exactly they were going to do. Mandalore had gathered many Mandalorian clans to him, close the one thousand, but there were still many Mandalorians who refused to join him, and they were making trouble on many different worlds, spread across the galaxy. There were reports of trouble now where there had not been before. On Malastare, the conflict between the Dugs and the Grans had become violent and deadly, the generation-old tensions finally breaking. Many Outer Rim worlds were being cut off by pirates, and trade fleets were being attacked by the same pirates. All these disturbances, however, had a massive pattern to them, if one had enough information and were looking for something. They were spread out, almost unnaturally so. When a skirmish took place on one side of the galaxy, you could bet another would spring up on the other side. Even in the Core Worlds, unrest was growing. Populations were growing uneasy, and when enough people get uneasy, unrest follows, and many worlds were almost looking at rebellion, where before, there had been no sign of such things. It was worrying the leaders present at the council, not least because no obvious solution presented itself.

One such centre of disturbance was Alderaan, home of another Jedi Enclave, the only other besides the council headquarters on Coruscant. Reports there were of unusually high tensions in outlying rural towns in the mountains. This was all the more unusual considering it was on Alderaan, where the people for the most part were caring and pacifist. Yet now, there were running brawls in the streets, and panic. It also seemed to be focused in one area. The Council reasoned that this was the best chance of finding out what was influencing the people, yet could not spare any Jedi from their training. This was why Atton had been summoned, as he was somewhat of a freelance knight, and the Council had no real hold on him. He was a Jedi though, trained by the exile, so they reasoned he was as good a person to send as any. He was to leave at once. The others, Carth, Mandalore, Revan, did their best to prepare what forces were at their command the best protect the Republic. They were each given command of a part of the fleet, along with two other Republic officers. War had begun, and this was where they were comfortable, battle hardened from the Jedi Civil War, and the Mandalorians Wars before that.

Battered and scarred as it was from past conflicts, the Republic was once again gearing up for War, except this time against a completely unknown opponent. They did not know when, where, how, or even if they would reveal themselves, but they did know that whatever happened, the Republic needed defending. Two years to recover from the Sith was not enough, but the return of Revan and the emergence of the Exile left them stronger than before. They would fight. They always would.

I like your story very much so far. A couple of things though...I would make some distinction between the time of the prologue and the time of chapter 1. Until I read it in the chapter I had no idea it had been six years since Revan left. Just a suggestion. Other than that, there were some minor spelling, and punctuation things,b ut nothing serious. Keep up the good work!

Here is Chapter 2...

Chapter 2: Alderaan.

He parried another blow, low down by his legs this time. His opponent was quick… but he was quicker. He hit back with a couple of quick strikes to the torso, all of which were parried. They circled, focusing on nothing outside the area in which they were fighting. He went in for the attack again, slashing in wide strokes, but his opponent effortlessly blocked or evaded them all. He then, on a blow to the head, ducked under it and brought his weapon into his gut, with force. He collapsed to the ground, panting.

“Beat you again, Shan,” grinned the victor.

“You were just lucky that time,”

he grinned back, pushing his hair out of his eyes as he picked himself up off the floor. It’s a good thing they were not allowed to use real lightsabres, or he would have been disembowelled. But of course Padawans, in fights between themselves, were not allowed. Sensible really, on this evidence.

“You know perfectly well I was not lucky. Your technique is full of flaws, you leave yourself so open. We’ll try again after lunch.”

“Sparring on a full stomach? You are a mean, mean person Abel.”

The one known as Abel laughed again.

“Practise in the dojos if you must. Just get some muscle on those bones. You’re so skinny, it makes me sick.”

“Well I’ll just have to eat more at lunch won’t I…?”

“I’m sure you won’t let me down in that regard,” he said, chuckling.

Half a dozen young Jedi sat round one of the lunch tables at the Alderaan Enclave, eating the thin soup that was traditional for the order.

“Have you heard? A Jedi Knight is coming here to calm the disturbances in the mountains near here, on orders from the council on Dantooine.”

“Dantooine? Why not Coruscant?”

“Revan’s there. Yeah, I know,” he added, seeing their shocked or disbelieving faces. “But it’s true. I heard the Masters talking about it. So they summoned a council, Republic officers and the like. They’re sending the Jedi Knight over.”

“Anyone you’ve heard of?”

“Absolutely. You’ve heard of him too. It’s Atton, as in Atton Rand, companion of the Exile a couple of years back. She trained him. He’s something of a freelance, looks like they’re trying to get him to settle down.”

“Well, good luck to them I suppose.”

“Who’s going to watch the swoop races on Coruscant this weekend if they can get a little time off?”

“I might do actually…”

As talk turned away from current affairs, Shan Verayi, young Jedi Padawan, lost interest. His thoughts turned to the Knight coming here, Atton Rand. If he was coming all the way from Dantooine, it was a sure sign they suspected something was very wrong here. They were probably right, it was very unlike the Alderaanians to go brawling and panicking in their natural environment. It was like there was some sort of outside influence…

And yet, he looked around at his friends, and saw nothing. They were obviously not being affected by anything, or anyone he had met in the towns down in the valley. The mountains, however… there were rumours of ruins, and strange symbols in some areas. Perhaps they have something to do with it?

He felt eyes on the back of his head. Looking around, he saw the young Twi’lek Jel'nya look away quickly. He smiled to himself. The Jedi Order had taken a much more relaxed approach since its reformation, presumably to avoid making the mistakes that had torn the order apart in the last decade. It was refreshing, but many of the students were having trouble letting go of the old traditions. Doubtless they would be back when the order had time to settle down again, but until then…

He had always been one of the stronger in the force at the academy, as a pupil. Never the strongest, but always up there. That was the story of his life. He was almost the strongest Padawan. Almost the best at sparring (There were half a dozen or so people who could still beat him regularly). Almost the smartest when it came to history and the learning side of being a Jedi. The Masters liked him; he was quiet and reserved, yet clever and charismatic when the need took him. He was dry and witty, yet charming when needed. His striking appearance, with strong grey eyes, white hair with a tanned face set him apart from the others. Popularity was inevitable. Still, when he got the rank of Knight, he was away from Alderaan. It was a beautiful place, but it was so quiet. Most of the students left to the larger academies on Coruscant or Dantooine in fairly short order.

They stood in a line, all twenty-four of the Alderaan Padawans. They were being addressed by three Jedi Knights, one of whom was Atton Rand. The other two were a Selkath called Qulo, and a human, Jereen Horon. They were looking for two Padawans to take with them to investigate the disturbances up in the mountains. In the end they selected him, and a girl he had seen around, but never talked to. He didn’t know her name. They were to leave the next day.

They touched down in the mountains early in the morning. It was bitterly cold, with dew having frozen to create a crackly, cold carpet for them to walk on. It was incredible quiet, with only the occasional burst of birdsong giving any indication of life.

The five of them disembarked from the shuttle, and checked for the nearest settlement. It was 300 yards away, over a nearby ridge.

“This will probably be the first encounter with whatever’s happening up here we will get. Keep your lightsabres handy,” Atton warned.

They trudged through the deep grass, made stiff by the ice, until they reached the ridge. Looking over, they saw the distinctive white sloping roves and wide boulevards and walkways of a rural Alderaanian village. Yet it was completely silent, not a soul was moving.

Going closer to the village, the silence became more oppressive, even the natural noises mostly stopped. There was still the howling of the wind off the rocks though, and it lent the area a sense of harshness and desolation.

As they got nearer the centre of the town, they noticed a few bodies lying in the shade of some buildings. They were obviously dead, had been for some time. It looked as if they had been beaten to death, with hands, feet, and weapons. It was a shocking display of human brutality.

“Look, further along this valley. There’s smoke,” chipped in the girl, whose name was Sena.

They looked, and saw it also. There were plumes of thick black smoke coming from further down the valley, though its’ source was hidden by another ridge.

“We should check it out,” said Atton. They set off along the vertiginous mountain paths, feeling an ever-growing sense of dread.

“I have a bad feeling about this…” muttered Atton to himself.

“From what I hear, you always have bad feelings,” quipped Shan.

“That’s because something bad always happens. It’s scary actually.”

They reached the edge of the town as the sun reached its zenith in the sky. They could see crowds of people, but they were not right. There were sounds, but it was not speech. It was more like the blood thirsty cries of animals. As they were looking down, there were points in their direction from some of the things.

“They’re coming for us,” whispered Atton.

“I can feel something coming from the hills on the other side of this town. Something dark,” warned Shan.

“We should investigate that, but get your lightsabres out. They don’t look like a welcoming committee.”

They all got their lightsabres out, and started scrambling along the hillside, looking the skirt around the outside of the town, through the groves of lemon trees that surrounded most Alderaan settlements.

They had just got through one such orchard, when they were jumped, suddenly and viciously, by half a dozen of the crazed settlers.

They were armed with normal tools of the trade, suddenly made all the more vicious by the way they were wielded.

Within seconds, all five lightsabres were drawn, and two villagers had gone down to the blade of the Selkath Qulo. Sena then killed another, leaving Atton to silence the last two with two precise swings of his blade.

“This is wrong. No normal people should act like this.”

“Normal? Look at their eyes…” said Jereen in horror.

They did so, and they were yellow. Their skin was drawn tight over their skin, but the eyes were cold and yellow. All the hallmarks of the Dark Side of the Force.

They moved on, keeping in the shade of the trees, until they reached a small brook. Further down, they could hear the roar of the water as it went over the edge, and beyond that, a faint clamour of voices.

“They’re looking for us. They’ve given up on each other now. They must be looking for living things that haven’t been affected by whatever this influence is.”

“Look at the hillside. There are markings on it. I can see a cave mouth near the bottom. And yet… I was up here a couple of months ago, and there was nothing in that spot. Just hillside. Does anyone recognise those markings?”

“They’re old, whatever they are. They sort of remind me of runes I saw on structures on… Lehon…”

“The Rakata.”

“The Rakata never got control of Alderaan did they?”

“We thought not, but records from that time are somewhat inaccurate. It could well have been part of the Infinite Empire.”

“Well either way, we should keep moving.” This last was from Shan.

As they got close, they could feel their minds being attacked, but they could obviously resist it better than the erstwhile inhabitants of the village could. How long that would last, they did not know.

They were closer to the entrance to the ruins, or whatever they were.

Just as they entered the gully leading down to the entrance, they heard howls of triumph from behind them.

“Damn! They’ve just waited for us to trap ourselves in here. Shan, Sena, get in those ruins! We’ll hold them off here!” Atton ignited his lightsabre with the other two knights and stood ready to defend.

”We don’t have much time. Follow me!”

They rushed through into the mouth of the cave, stumbling over what they hoped were particularly brittle rocks.

Once inside, the sounds of the battle behind them faded out of hearing. There was a certain amount of natural light coming from rocks built into the walls. They looked too regular to be completely natural, however, and the whole ‘cave’ looked more like a tomb.

They proceeded down some steps, and came out into a large room, as wide as the whole Jedi Enclave. Sena gasped.

There were silvery, shimmering ghosts of people in large groups all over the floor. They were looking around, confused. It was as if they had left their bodies. Every now and then, one of them was extinguished, as a match would be snuffed out. It was then that Shan realised, these were the people outside, the ones who had gone mad. When one was extinguished… that must be the Jedi outside.

He heard a scream from besides him, and whipped around. Sena had slipped over a skeleton, and fell into something. It looked like just a pool of water, except there were subtle patterns and shadows, of blue, purple and indigo, swirling inside it. Sena had fallen into it, and her head was just below the surface. It seemed impossibly deep. He pulled Sena out, and looked for a pulse. He found it, but it was extremely slow. He looked again at the ‘pool’, and this time felt the powerful dark energies pouring out of it. He began to feel worried. She had fallen straight into it…

It was clear she was not going to regain consciousness at the moment, so he moved on cautiously. He could see some sort of lighting coming from the far end of the cavern. As he walked forward, the ghosts, of that’s what they were, were talking silently, opening and closing their mouths with no sound coming out. Occasionally one would reach out and try and touch him, yet each time they would just pass through him, with an unpleasant cold sensation.

Reaching the far end of the room, he could feel pressure on his mind, and was occasionally feeling inexplicable burst of anger and hate and above all, fear. He was beginning to understand the power of this place.

He reached the end of the room, and was faced by some kind of massive, ancient computer console. He didn’t know what to do. Looking at it, he felt the most powerful surge of emotion yet, fear, as her heard footsteps, slow and unsteady behind him. He looked around and saw Sena, looking as mindless and insane as the villagers outside. She had her lightsabre ignited.

“Don’t do this to me Sena!”

She carried on shuffling forward. Then, with a sudden and terrifying burst of speed, she lunged at him. He quickly rolled out of the way, igniting his own lightsabre as he rose. He was really scared now; she had always been his superior in terms of lightsabre combat, as well as sheer strength in the force. He parried and blocked to the best of his ability, but she was forcing him back. As he ducked under another wild swing, he saw his chance. Going on the attack, he started swinging at her powerfully and recklessly, forcing her back. He pushed her further back with a kick to the stomach. She was angry now though, and started slashing back. This left her exposed, however, and Shan then dodged another blow, and lashed out at her leg with high blade, cutting flesh. She yelled and drew away, and Shan drew up energy from the Force, and pushed out a wave of energy, knocking her off her feet, and into the spitting wires and machinery he had spotted behind her. She twitched as electricity, raw and untamed, coursed through her body. He tried to look away, but could not as she burned. Finally, he turned away to examine the console again.

He then felt a powerful surge of hate and anger. He heard a yell; later realising it had come from his own mouth, and plunged his ignited lightsabre into what looked like an archaic power coupling. It spat and sparked, and then the workings of the machine started seizing up. He turned, and ran back to the entrance, just as the console exploded, taking most of the cave with it. Sprinting so hard his lungs were bursting, he jumped out of the cave just as it collapsed behind him. He then just lay on the ground, sucking in the fresh mountain air like it was an elixir.

“That was quite a timely intervention,” said Atton, with a pained grin.

“Wh- what happened?”

“You mean before or after the mountain collapsed? Before? Ah, ok. Well: you two rushed into the cave as we told you, and we were mobbed by insane villagers. To cut a long story short, Jerron and Qulo were killed, and I was close to following them, when the mountain exploded, and you came barrelling out. I wouldn’t have been surprised to see smoke coming out of your ears, being honest. Anyway… I’ve told you, now you tell me.”

Shan related the events inside the mountain to Atton; right up to the emotions he had felt when he destroyed the machinery.

“Any idea what made you feel this?”

“Yes… it was the machinery. It was Rakatan, I’m sure of it, so it made use of the Dark Side. It was probably trying to turn me against the Jedi, like it did with Sena, but it failed. It destroyed it. “

“Well I’m impressed. You appear to have withstood something the most powerful of us could not. I felt something like this while we were fighting those… people. I couldn’t stop, no matter how hard I tried… But we should head back to the Enclave. Come on, pull yourself together.”

They found the Masters waiting for them in the Enclave entrance.

“What did you find?”

“We found Builder technology, feeding on light emotions, emphasising dark ones. It drove the villagers and townspeople mad.”

“Where are Qulo and Jereen Horon?”

“Dead. We were attacked by a large group of crazed settlers. They killed the two Knights. Sena was killed by Shan when she went mad, influenced by the Dark Side.”

The Masters glanced sideways at him at this, but said nothing.

“Hmmm…” Qu’il Vaos, one of the Masters thought about this for a moment.

“You should go to the council on Dantooine. Revan, Onasi and the rest of them will need to know this. You should leave as soon as possible.”

“Yes, Master.” They bowed slightly and walked out.

They left in a Republic shuttle early the next morning, with Shan’s life possessions all in one medium sized bag. They were to be taken to the capital of Alderaan, and from there would take the next transport to the Outer Rim, where they would be met by the Exile. From there, a short shuttle trip to Dantooine.

It was the first time in years Shan had been away from Alderaan, but he was no stranger to space travel. Years before, his father had been a Jedi, and he had travelled a lot through Outer and Mid Rim worlds. He never knew his mother, however. She died when he was young. He did not know what had become of his father.

The journey to the Spaceport in the Outer Rim, a bustling space station called Y’chekk, orbiting the planet of the same name, in the Iriaz System. It was remote enough to attract little attention, yet busy enough for there to be thriving markets, and bazaars. Unfortunately, Shan and Atton did not have time to fully explore the array of gaudily lit stores, with flashing neon signs reminiscent of the Entertainment sectors on Coruscant. It took a lot of money to look as cheap as this, Shan thought as they wandered. They had a few spare hours before they were the meet the Exile, though it was easily killed. Atton was a big pazaak player and they passed a few hands (Atton won them all) before searching out lunch. (This in the end turned out to be some strange local delicacy. The food did not seem to be entirely dead, and may even have been sentient. They were not in the mood, however, to examine the behavioural patters on the contents of their forks. You just had to eat it and hope for the best.)

At 1800 hours that day, they went to meet the Exile in her shuttle at the spaceport.

When they arrived, she and Atton shared a long embrace. She then nodded to Shan to get aboard. Presently, they were cruising into open space, to the council on Dantooine.

• 3 weeks later...

Chapter 3: Council

The Sith were beaten, they just didn’t know it.

Elsewhere, the war was not progressing so smoothly, but just now it was good to taste victory yet again.

Revan was not particularly pleased with the victory, the Sith were not as organized as they usually were, and the planet they were fighting over was of limited strategic value, and almost no material or resource value. No matter. Once they had beaten them in space, they could move onto the land campaign, and since this planet was generally hailed as one of the most naturally beautiful in the galaxy, it would make a welcome change to miserable, cold, harsh, disease-ridden planets that been the home of past campaigns and battles.

“Sir, the Sith are retreating. We spotted a large number of smaller transports and escape pods heading for the surface. Your orders?”

Revan studied the scene. The Interdictors were dangerous certainly, but the smaller ships they used to support them, well, he had seen militias and pirate bands with better equipment. And yet the Republic was still losing battle after battle. Why? The answer was there, it was just hidden beneath the surface.

“Find somewhere on the planet not infested by them, and land our forces. Set up a command centre. I will follow them down soon enough I’m sure,” he said, with more than a hint of bitterness.

“War getting to you, Revan?” asked Bastila, wandering up behind him.

“Getting to me? More than you know. I hate it, the endless fighting, the short rations, the lies; everything just rubs me the wrong way.”

“Really? What would it have to do to rub you the right way?”

“An unfortunate turn of phrase, perhaps.”

She put her arms around him.

“Oh, cheer up! After all, a campaign here can only be a good thing. I’ve heard there are waterfalls miles high, glittering lakes and snow-capped mountains.”

He had to smile at her attempts to cheer him up.

“I’m sure there is. Still war though. I’ll probably end up sticking my lightsabre in some perfectly nice people. And the Sith.”

“You need your glass filling up. Always half empty with you.”

“A full glass doesn’t come into it my dear. I’m allowed to get cynical in my old age, am I not?”

“You’re twenty-nine Revan…”

An officer walked up, afraid of interrupting. Revan motioned him closer.

“Message from Dantooine sir.”

“Yes?”

“They request your presence at the council as soon as possible sir. Bastila as well sir.”

“Did they say why? Hah, of course they didn’t. They’re Jedi.”

“Err… so are you sir.”

“Got any proof? Any, say… papers indicating I’m a Jedi?” He saw his confused expression, and backed down.

“Sorry. Pushing it a bit there. Thanks for the message. I’ll be there.”

He watched him as he left, pondering the message. He noticed Bastila seemed to be laughing at him.

“Something the matter?”

“No, no… just you obviously aren’t in such a bad mood as you were making out,” she said with a grin.

“I just get kicks out of confusing officers. Probably a throwback to my days as a grunt.”

“Hah… We’d better get ready to leave.”

“You have no idea how good that sounds to me…”

They touched down at Khoonda just as the sun was peeking over the hilltops to the west, bathing them in golden light.

Disembarking, they noticed a trickle of people heading over the plains towards to Enclave.

“We’d better get going. Don’t want to hold up the ‘council’, though it looks to me as if it will be more like a public address.”

Many people were turning to stare, or point, and often cheer.

“Wait, since when was I a hero?”

“Well… probably since the battle of Jabiim. Or maybe the against-all-odds victory over Ossus. Or possibly the campaign over on Anaxes. Not to mention the fact that many of these people look like they’re from somewhere other than Dantooine, and probably don’t come into contact with Jedi much, if at all. We’re still rare, remember, even with the new Padawans and apprentices.”

They set off over the plains, the whispers following in their wake, like the wind in the trees.

When they reached the Enclave, they were ushered through a side-door into a small briefing room, with a demonstration console in the centre. It was currently displaying a large, detailed map of the galaxy. It was being studied by Carth Onasi, Mandalore Ordo and a few other military looking figures. Behind them, talking in a group were a dozen or so Jedi, most of them Masters.

“Ah, here’s the War Hero,” said Carth, looking up. Revan just smiled.

“What is this all about?”

“Many things, Lord Revan, but first a small introduction is required,” replied Mical.

“Lord Revan?” interrupted Revan.

“Yes, milord. Anyway, as I was saying; we are here because of this young man, a Jedi currently in training on Alderaan, before, ehm… recent events, shall we say. His name is Shan Verayi, and he will tell you the rest.”

Shan was drawn out of the group of Jedi, and brought to the centre of the room. He was nervous, that much was clear, but he still looked surprisingly at ease for a Padawan in the midst of several of the most powerful people in the Republic, as well as the strongest Jedi. Revan motioned for him to begin.

“Well, you may remember about the troubles we were having on Alderaan recently. I was part of a small group sent to investigate…”

He proceeded to relate his story back to Revan. He carried on, right up until the end, and his and Atton’s description of the affect on their minds the technology had.

“Atton, you say you could feel it forcing its way through, even when you were outside the ruins?”

“That’s right.”

“And you, Shan, only felt it as a slight pressure, even when you were right up close to it, even when your late companion had been driven mad by it?”

“Yes… sir.”

“Curious. You showed willpower the like of which I have not seen in years, as well as having the strength necessary to shield yourself. And you are still a Padawan?” Shan nodded in response to this. “Interesting.”

He flicked his eyes to Bastila, and then the direction of the door. She nodded. A second later, Mical was talking again.

”We have determined that there may be more such concentrations of this… scattered throughout the Galaxy. We do not know how long it has been there, but it was presumable built at the apex of the Infinite Empire. We also do not know who is controlling it, though we can presume it is not the Rakata.”

”Most likely it is these ‘True Sith’, whoever they are.”

“You see our problem. We do not know where, how or who the danger is and what it is doing. We have been trying to establish a pattern in the attacks from mercenaries, the outbreaks of unrest, and the rest. So far we haven’t seen much, but there are a few concentrations where there are more incidents than elsewhere.”

“Show me.”

“Well, here in the east mid-rim, there is an unusual amount of Pirate attacks and the like, aswell as the problems on Malastare, with the conflict between the Gran and the Dugs. There is the same sort of thing around here, in the far north Outer Rim. There are several densely inhabited planets over there, the most prominent of which would be Bonadan I think. It’s growth since the discovery of it’s mineral wealth has been staggering, it’s practically one big strip mine already.”

“Well, alright. What are you proposing?”

“I don’t know, yet… I was hoping that’s where you’d come in.”

“I see… Let’s have a look at this map then.”

Revan moved over to the map and bent over it, but he was finding it hard to concentrate. This boy… fit the prophecy on the tablet well. Very well…

Bastila appeared at his shoulder.

“You’re not concentrating…”

”It’s hard. I’ve learned a lot already, probably more than they know. Anyway, I already know what I’m going to do. Pretty much.”

“I’m not sure I like the sound of that.”

“Watch and learn.” He turned to the generals and Jedi. “I’ve as good as decided what I want to do. I want to send Mr. Verayi here to Bonadan and Malastare. I suspect that will be where we will find the Builder technology. You know as well as I do that we cannot afford to spare many Jedi from training, or fighting, so a smaller operation may suit us in that respect, as well as being more discreet. We will not send you alone, of course. Is there anyone you would like to accompany you in this?” This last was directed at Shan.

‘Well… there are a few people. Any help would be welcome.”

“Very well. We will try and get you a varied party… We have a Bothan agent free, and we will send him with you, but you must choose the others.”

Shan bowed and left.

“It’s dangerous, letting him go like this,” said one of the Coruscant Masters in a low voice.

“Oh yes? What would you have me do Ig’hyus? I cannot send our armies against two planets of mostly innocent people. Think how that would look. Plus, this Jedi seems to be able to resist the influence of this technology, for whatever reason. Our troops can’t. It would be a suicide mission, and we cannot afford that. Any more complaints?” There were none. “Good. There are things I must see to. Walk a mile in my shoes,” he said as he walked out.

Once outside, he leaned against a wall, and heaved out a sigh.

“What is it? Did you want to talk?” Asked Bastila, as she walked out of the door behind him.

“Yes- yes I did. That boy… he fit the prophecy on the stone tablet very well. That is why I sent him on this mission. To see if I’m correct.”

“That quite a gamble. Are you sure it’s worth the risk?”

“Yes, certain. If he is this… ‘Sentinel’, we could be looking at a way to defeat the Sith for good.”

“I suppose you’re right. Do you have any idea how this will work?”

“No,” he confessed “But I’m hoping it will present itself in time.”

“I see… I must ask you Revan… When you were talking to that Republic Officer on the ship… did you mean what you said?”

“About what?”

“About not being a Jedi.”

“Ah… Yes, I did.”

“They all think of you as a Jedi Master.”

“With all due respect, what they think matters very little to me. I have had to make choices during this war that I would not have been able to make if I was a Jedi, not to mention everything that has gone before this. No, I think I cannot be part of the Order, even with its relaxed restrictions.”

“I- I think I agree with you. I have been thinking for a long time about leaving, but what you have said just now… I have decided. I am no Jedi.”

“You would do this for me?”

“There is nothing I would not do for you.”

Revan watched Shan practicing his lightsabre technique against some of the Dantooine students. He had potential, that much was obvious, but his defending was shaky, and he lacked flair. Something had to be done…

He waited until he had finished his training, and then pulled him aside as he was leaving.

“Do you want to learn how to use your lightsabre lad?”

“I can use it,” he replied with and affronted look.

“You can, but you’ve obviously only ever learned the basic Forms, nothing besides the basic Jedi training.”

“Well, yes. But what’s wrong with that?”

“Nothing, of course. It’s as good a place to start as any. I, however, can teach you artful. I can teach you to block when others cannot, to find holes in defenses that people without this training would never see. Interested?”

“What makes you think you can teach me what the Masters cannot?”

“Ah, so you want a practical demonstration? Your choice. Draw your lightsabre, and attack me.”

“What? You’re unarmed!”

“So?”

”I don’t want to hurt you…”

”First mistake. If you’re using a lightsabre, you have to know what you want. It’s a weapon so use it like one.”

As an answer, Shan swung his lightsabre low and hard at Revan’s midriff. He jumped backwards slightly, so that air whistled past, caught his lightsabre arm as it went past, and disarmed him, leaving him panting on the floor. All this took less than two seconds.

“Try again,” said Revan with a grin on his face.

This time, Shan hesitated.

“You’ve stopped. Why?”

”Because you’re just standing there grinning. I know that whatever I do, I’m going to end up flat on my back, minus one lightsabre.”

“Second mistake! You have to believe you’re going to hit me, or you won’t. Simple as that.”

“OK, I’ll try again.”

This time, he feinted a couple of times, but neither time did Revan so much as twitch a muscle. The third time, Shan sent a slash as quick as a snake diagonally across his body.

“You were closer that time… close but no death stick.”

Shan hauled himself up of the floor for a second time.

“How do you do that?”

“I use my instincts. I anticipate. I also happen to be pretty quick anyway.”

“I see. Well, perhaps you’ll find it a bit harder lightsabre on lightsabre.”

“Perhaps I will.”

They moved onto one of the sparring rings. A small crowd had gathered to watch the duel.

They both ignited their lightsabres and bowed slightly, as was traditional. Shan started the circle, while Revan just stood still, keeping his eyes on Shan’s movements. When Shan did attack, his blade was turned sideways lightly, and Revan went quickly on the attack, forcing Shan into a series of quick parries, before they broke apart again. This time, Revan made the first moved, whipping his blade in a wide, low slash, easily blocked by Shan, but this turned out to be a feint, as he then turned and brought his lightsabre down on the back of Shan’s neck, stopping inches above it.

“Well done. You had me working there. You’re fast, and you have potential.”

Shan stepped away, his face streaming with sweat. Revan’s breathing was barely above normal. He shook his head in disbelief.

“OK, you’ve made your point. Can I go now?”

“Certainly! I hope you learnt something.”

Revan turned, and walked out. He was already distracted, his mind turning to the future. His forces were weakened from the recent battle, so he could not rush into anything ambitious just yet… Maybe set up a defensive perimeter around Onderon. It needed protecting, that was for certain...

Shan had got together a group of people he trusted. There were also a few he did not, but, he supposed, that was unavoidable. However discreet they wanted this mission of his to be, there were still many people with an eye on getting involved. So far, he had enlisted the Bothan, who was a veteran of all the recent wars, though never on the frontline; a young Jedi named Alen Korran, who seemed to be somewhat of a withdrawn character, he was surprised she had gained a place; a Republic soldier, apparently an expert in demolitions; and finally, T3-M4, the eccentric utility droid, who had probably got a better first-hand view of recent wars than anyone who wasn’t a Jedi.

He would not get the Ebon Hawk, as it was being used by the Exile and her companions to assist in the conflict. She was a strange character, he had decided. He knew about her; about how she had almost single-handedly ended the war on Onderon, halting the drive of General Vaklu; how she defended Khoonda from a mercenary assault; and her exploits on Nar Shaddaa, killing the crime lord Goto and much else besides. She had not escaped Goto, he had smuggled himself onto the Ebon Hawk in the form of a droid. He did not know what had happened to him or her other Nar Shaddaa companion, the bounty hunter Mira. The Exile herself, however, was still something of a mystery to him. He had learned from her companions that the events concerning the Sith Triumvirate, and her exile by the Jedi before that had left her bitter, yet she still stayed on the path of the Jedi. She was more powerful than any other Jedi by some way before the return of Revan that was certain, yet it was not ordinary strength in the Force. She was a wound. She created force bonds, and without realizing it, leached the force from them. At least, this was the belief of the Masters who had exiled her. Her companions did not believe this. Either way, she was rather enigmatic, no-one had any hold over her, as the majority of the current Jedi Council was made up of Jedi she herself had trained.

He roused himself from his musings, and continued with his preparations. He would be leaving for Malastare the next day. He hoped it was not too late.

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 4: It’s a Trap!

Malastare was an important planet in the mid-outer rim; it stood in the middle of a lot of comparatively empty space, and as such was used as a link for trade routes, hyperspace routes, and other enterprises. It was not a stable or peaceful planet, however. The two native species, the Gran and the Dugs, had been fighting for as long as anyone could remember. The Gran used the Dugs as slaves and labourers, and were the dominant species, but the Dugs had begun to fight back, creating an extremely unstable working and living environment. Riots in the streets were common. There were certain areas of the spaceports you did not go unless you were of a certain shape. It was a bad time for Malastare, but the inhabitants could not remember any other way of life.

As Shan stepped out of the ship onto the spaceport streets, he could feel the tension in the air. But he was getting used to such sensations; he had been feeling them so much more ever since the episode in the ruins, his awareness and perception of the world around him was greater than it ever had been before.

He looked around at his surroundings. The spaceport, and everything else for that matter, was bathed in a strange light, mostly rust red. There was a thick blanket of cloud obscuring the sky. It made the port seem ethereal. The urban areas themselves were not much to look at. Most of the buildings seemed dirty and somewhat decrepit, as if they were being lived in, but not looked after. Most of these areas were shanty towns for the Dugs however, and the central areas of the spaceport were cleaner, and bustling with life. There were vendors shouting out their wares, and customers of every shape, size and colour were browsing.

“Any ideas?” Alen had walked up behind him.

“Yes. I need a drink. Let’s look for a cantina, and we can plan further from there. You can come with me, and the droid. Tell the others to wait with the ship.”

The orders were relayed back to the crew.

“They didn’t take the news very well.”

“So what? I’m the one in charge here. They’ll have to get used to it,” he replied in a bullish tone. Alen smiled a small smile, and walked on, with T3 chirping and whistling in that eccentric little way of his behind her.

They found a cantina not far inside the merchant sector of the spaceport. It had the usual Aqualish bouncer standing outside, eyeballing everyone walking in or out. He leered at them as they walked (or rolled) past. Inside, it was stuffy, warm, crowded and above all, familiar. There was something comforting about cantinas. They were practically the same the galaxy over, with minor differences to keep things interesting. They found a booth, and purchased a pair of juma juices. Shan looked around. This cantina had a particularly large gambling area, and there were many gamblers engaged in a pazaak game, or other pursuits. There was one man who was looking over at them from his game. He winked, and turned back. Shan blinked.

“What’s wrong?”

“Oh… nothing. I was just thinking.”

“About what?”

“About what to do next. I know the general whereabouts of the ruins on this planet, but I do not know exactly. I’m just wondering if there is anyone here who might be able to help us.”

“Probably. But for now, a question I must ask. You allowed me to accompany you, but not the Bothan or the Republic soldier. Why?”

“Why? Well, because the other two are military. I’m not at home with military. You’re a Jedi. I feel I can relate to you better. I also think you are more intelligent than the other two, and I can see you hold me in higher regard than the other two do.”

She examined her hands as she replied. “I see. Those… that’s a good set of reasons you have there. Perceptive as well.”

Shan smiled. “It’s a gift. Well, sort of. Depends on your point of view I suppose.”

It was then he noticed the man he had spotted earlier was wandering over in their direction. He was an odd looking man. He had long grey hair, almost white, that went down to his shoulders, and was held back by a thin white band. He was wearing a tunic of very light grey, under a jacket of grey and a cloak over all this. He had the look of a man who was once powerful, but whom years had caught up with. He gestured to the empty seat questioningly. Shan flicked his eyes at Alen, who made a small, non-committal gesture. Shan nodded to the man.

“Thank you, young man. You’re new here, yes? How can I tell? Well, for one thing, I haven’t seen you in here before, and two: you’re sitting in a seat reserved by one of the most powerful… men on Malastare,” he said with a sardonic look.

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Well… should we move then?”

“That would be sensible yes.”

They then moved over into a darker corner of the cantina. It was getting later in the evening now, and all the serious drinkers were moving to the bar. They could hear drunken shouts, and the occasional tinkle of breaking glass from the next room.

“So, was there anything you wanted from us?”

The old man looked around, as if making sure no-one was listening. He then leaned closer.

“Look… I know you’re a Jedi. You’re trying to hide it, you’ve got your lightsabre hidden under your tunic, which incidentally is not a traditional Jedi robe… yet I can tell. You too, young lady. It’s obvious to anyone, or anyone who knows what they’re looking for.”

“How did you know?”

“I’ve seen a lot of the galaxy boy. Too much, you might say.”

“What do you mean?”

“I served in the Mandalorian wars. In my 50 years, I’ve seen more than most. And I know a Jedi when I see one. Or two, as it is here. What’s your name lad?”

“Shan. Shan Verayi,” he answered. The old man looked surprised, though he hid it well.

“Verayi? Ah, I thought you looked familiar. Like looking at my younger self. I must ask you lad. Did you know your father?” He had a look of deep sadness in his eyes, no longer were they sparkling.

“Not really. I was taken away from my home at a young age. As all Jedi are. Father.”

“You’re fast my boy. As the young lady here said, perceptive.”

Alen looked shocked, but the other two only looked grim. T3 gave a low whistle from under the table.

“So that’s how you knew I was Jedi. You can feel the force. I thought I could feel it on you. Where is mother? Or did you abandon her as well?”

The man looked hurt.

“You must understand… Shan. I had no choice. You were not meant to happen. Surely you know what it means for a Jedi to have a child. Maybe not so terrible with the new order, but back then… forbidden. I was an outcast. That’s how I ended up here. I have told no-one I am a Jedi. I would not be allowed to gamble if they knew.”

”I have nothing more to say to you,” said Shan, contempt and venom in his voice. He stood up, and turned towards the exit.

“No! Wait. I know what it is you seek. I can help you. I have been out of touch with the galaxy for far too long.”

“Help me? Why would I want the help of a broken, weak old man?”

“Because no-one else here can help you!”

Shan looked at him properly for the first time. The man flinched.

“Fine. Follow me back to the ship then. I’ll introduce you to the crew.”

“It would appear I will not have to wait.”

The Bothan had just come through the door, spotted them and walked quickly over.

“There you are. I’ve been looking for you for the last hour. Who’s this?” he asked, looking askance at the old man.

“He’s a hanger-on.” Shan replied, glaring at him. “What’s wrong?”

“We’ve had an urgent message from Revan. We should return to the ship at once.”

“Did he say what he wanted?”

“No. He only said he would say it only when you were present. Come!”

“Very well.”

Revan stood at the bridge of his flagship, studying a galaxy map. He had to try and make sense of it. For one thing there were the refugees. Endless swarms of refugees. The Core Worlds were being clogged up, as were certain worlds in the mid and outer rims. All being swamped by people displaced by battle, by death and destruction, by disease and famine. On top of that, the Republic was still losing. The Republic was gaining most of the major victories, the ones where Bastila’s Battle Meditation made all the difference. The Mandalorians under Mandalore Ordo were typically ruthless and efficient. However, there were many smaller battles and skirmishes that the Republic was losing. It shouldn’t do, but it was. It was a most displeasing situation to be in.

“What is it Captain,” he said, without turning round. Captain Horentz masked his surprise as he replied.

“Sir, we’ve picked up a large Sith fleet massing near Sullust. It’s larger than any we’ve faced before.”

”Sullust? Why are they massing there I wonder…”

“The two major planets nearest are Eriadu and Malastare.”

“Malastare…”

“Sir, we have also received reports indicating there is a large Sith presence on Lorrd aswell.”

“And near there… Bonadan. They presumably know the location of the Builder ruins… they might have co-ordinated their attacks… knowing we’d send someone important to… destroy them… Massing at Sullust?”

”Yes sir.”

“They know what we’ve done. Summon all available ships, and send them to Malastare. Inform Admiral Onasi I shall need his aid. Send a message to Shan Verayi. Tell him I need to speak to him at once.”

Shan walked up the entry ramp to their ship, and activated the hologram projector.

“Ah, there you are. I wondered if you would answer at all.”

“You wanted to speak to me?”

“Yes I did. We have made a mistake, and you are in danger. The Sith anticipated we would send someone important to our war effort to one of the worlds. Right now they are massing a fleet at Sullust. I will bring aid, but I will not reach Malastare in time. They will take the planet. You have to hide, you cannot fight. Forget the ruins, forget the mission. We cannot continue with this if they are as subtle as they seem to be.”

“Where shall I go though? I cannot just disappear the ship that easily.”

“I cannot help you with that. I will be as quick as I can in getting my fleet to your position, but as I said, it will not be quick enough. However, I can send the Ebon Hawk to assist you. It’s the fastest ship I know of, and it should get there before the Sith. That’s the best I can offer.”

“That will do. Signing out.”

He looked around at his companions, who were silent.

“Well, there it is. We’re in it up to our necks.” He turned to his father. “Do you know anywhere we could go?”

His forehead creased in thought.

“Well… I’m not sure to be honest. There are ruins out in the jungle that would hide us I suppose, but if they did find us, we would be isolated. We would be best to abandon the ship, and wait in one of the cities for the Ebon Hawk.”

“That sounds sensible. I’m surprised. Right, everyone grab what they need from the ship. We head out in half an hour.”

“Sir, Carth Onasi is trying to reach you.”

“Put him through.”

There was a pause as the officer altered the settings on the hologram projector, before the figure of Carth Onasi appeared.

“Yes?”

”I don’t know how soon you need my fleet but it will probably be too soon. I’ll need at least two standard days to get everything in line.”

“No, Carth. I don’t have that much time. I need whatever you can spare. Just send what you have, and the rest can come later. I need as many troops as I can, as quickly as possible. Understand that the war could hang in the balance.”

“Very well. I’ll do my best.”

Revan’s fleet came out of hyperspace not far from Malastare, about one standard day after the Sith. They could see the extent of their fleet as they approached. The Republic was out-numbered at least two to one.

“Let’s hope Carth can get his fleet over here soon, or this is going to be a short battle.”

“I can hold them,” replied Bastila.

“I know you can,” Revan said with a smile. “Let’s do this. Admiral, move the fleet into attack position. Deploy the fighters and gun ships. Tell them to focus on the Interdictors. Now, I want half of the command to spearhead through the centre, and spread the other half out to stop them flanking us. My ship will follow the main attack. Keep several capital ships close at all times.”

“Sir, we do not have enough ships to take the Sith head on! It would be a suicide mission.”

“We have to keep the Sith from gaining total control of Malastare. If we fail, then Shan and his companions are doomed, to put it simply. Think of us as a distraction. I’m counting on Carth being quick in bringing aid.”

“And if he isn’t?”

Revan gave a haunting smile as he replied.

“Then I’ll see you in hell!”

Noise. Light. These things were always overwhelming in large battles such as this one. The Republic were attacking right down the centre of the Sith ranks. Broadside fire was being exchanged; losses were heavy on both sides. As Revan watched, one of their capital ships was engulfed in flame as It took a direct hit from a proton torpedo to it’s engine, setting off a chain reaction.

Years ago, Revan would have probably been in one of the single-man fighters now buzzing and flitting around the ships, just too fast for the large Turbolaser cannons. It was a thrill, there was no denying it. Right now there were hundreds of fighters, it was impossible to stay focused one for long before it was lost in the mire of battle. But now, Revan had to look at the bigger picture. They were making progress; there was no doubt about it. And yet, it was not enough. He could see the streams of Sith landing ships heading towards the Sith, no doubt combing the jungles and methane lakes for the Jedi. He could only hope they had hidden themselves well.

“General, prepare your troops for the ground assault. We will have to be able to deploy quickly in the event of a retreat by the Sith.”

“You think they will back down?”

“I’m sure of it.”

Atton Rand sat in the pilot’s seat of the Ebon Hawk.

“Any sign of them?” This was the Exile.

“Not of them as such. We have received a transmission though. They say they’ve ditched the ship, and are hiding out in the cities.”

“What are they thinking? How can they hope to hide when the Sith are sending who knows how many drop-ships of soldiers down on them? Not to mention the Dark Jedi they with them. They’ve got two strong Jedi with them. They’ll stand out like a beacon to the Sith trackers.”

“Ah, three Jedi.”

What?

“They found Shan’s father down there. Some coincidence.”

“Well that settles it. I hope one of them has at least a passing skill in masking their presence. Put us down somewhere discreet, you know? Should be your field of expertise.”

Atton grinned as he brought the ship down in a decrepit hangar in the shanty town.

Disembarking, they saw a figure detach itself from the shadows. It lowered it’s hood.

“You’re looking for Verayi, yes? Follow me.”

“You’re the young Jedi sent with them aren’t you? Alen is it?”

“Yes. We haven’t much time.”

They followed her through a series of dirty back-alleys and streets.

“Is there no-one else with you?” asked Alen.

“Yes, Mical the Jedi has come with us, and HK-47, a droid.”

She nodded as she led them into a small, low building between a bar and a swoop garage.

“Sorry about the smell,” she said, grinning as she led them to the back. It appeared to be a common room of sorts, in the lodgings. Sat there were Shan, the republic officer, a decorated Bothan and a man the Exile did not recognize. T3 was sitting, de-activated next to Shan.

“This your father?” said Atton, nodding in the unknown man’s direction.

“Yes, my father, Saev Verayi.” He nodded at them.

“So, what’s the plan?”

“Plan?” Shan gave a sharp laugh as he replied. “The plan is to sit tight here and hope they don’t have trackers.”

“Well hopefully I can help you with that. I can shield us from force-sensitives. I have grown… proficient at that particular skill over time. Atton, would you go and fetch Mical and HK please?”

“Certainly.”

The Exile turned back to Shan.

“We need to think of something we can do to help. I saw the Sith drop-ships as we came into land. There are thousands of them, each holding dozens of troops. We cannot just sit back and wait for Revan and Carth to protect us. Understand?”

Shan looked as if he was about to protest, but nodded instead.

“What do you suggest, then?”

“I suggest that when the Republic land, we find them. We assist them. Six Jedi is more than the Republic has had in most of their battles. Add our powers to Revan and Bastila, and that’s five knights and three Jedi Masters.”

“Fine. We will help however we can.”

They waited for Atton and the other two to return. When they did, Atton informed them he had made contact with Revan.

“He said he’ll put his forces down on the mesas to the south of this city. It should be easy enough to reach him, provided the Sith don’t lock down the city. He expects them to be down there by tomorrow morning, first light.”

“Very well. And now we wait.”

Revan watched as their leader’s ship splintered after sustained heavy fire from his ships. He was sure this would drive the remaining Sith away, and down to the surface.

Sure enough, the remaining ships starting their slow, cumbersome about-turns, making ready to retreat. The flow of Sith landing ships started again. They seemed to be converging on one point on the planet. Revan thought back to his conversation with Atton Rand. He had promised to bring his troops down on the mesas south of the city, and he would still do that. He could only hope that they would make it out in time. If they didn’t, this may well be a battle they could not win.

“General, deploy the troops to this location,” he said, indicating on their map projector.

“Yes sir.”

Revan watched as his own ships descended on the surface of Malastare. He felt a gnawing anxiety in the pit of his stomach, but could not pin down why. He could sense another trap. But of course he could do no more. He turned to one of the soldiers nearby.

“Make ready my shuttle to the surface. Bastila, come. We must be quick.”

“Those are Republic ships all right.”

“We should make ready to leave.”

“The Sith?”

“They seem to be ignoring this area… for now.”

On the surface, it was just beginning to rain. It cast a shadow on an already grim situation.

The areas up on the mesas of Malastare were drier than the surrounding jungle, but the view of the surrounding areas was obscured by thick, low cloud and everywhere the ground was very uneven, with mountains surrounding them on all sides. Revan had seen the Sith ships land in the higher land above them, and further afield as well. The sound of their engines was muffled by the fog, and the resulting effect was to create an unsettling blanket of soft sound all around them.

“Sir, we’re receiving a transmission from orbital command.”

“Put them through.”

There was a quick burst of static before the panicked face of his admiral stood before him on the projector.”

“Sir, another Sith fleet has just come out of hyperspace, as big again as the one we just fought! We don’t stand a chance out here sir!”

“Stay where you are. You must not retreat, or we are lost down here. Try and hold on until Carth’s fleet arrives.”

“There may not be many of us left by then sir.”

“Do it.”

The admiral bowed nervously, and cut off.

Revan leaned his head against the side of his ship. Things were just looking worse and worse.

“Sir, there are people approaching. They’re the Jedi we were looking for, along with the Exile and her companions.”

“Finally, some good news. Bring them to me.”

The Exile thought Revan was looking drawn and haggard. He had obviously not shaved this week, and his skin was drawn tight over his face. It was disconcerting for her to see such a strong man weakened and affected in this way.

“It’s lucky you found us. Let me be blunt, this is a fight we may not win. There are many more of them than there are us, they have the advantage of surprise, and they surround us. We hold this old fort and a few similar surrounding structures. We can defend ourselves here for a long time, but we cannot afford to retreat into our shells. We need to attack, and we are going to be the catalyst for that. Do I make myself clear?”

“Only too well.”

Revan gave a humourless smile at Shan’s response.

“Sir, movement in the jungle!”

Revan’s head snapped towards the scout who had alerted them, his hand flying to his lightsabre. He ran to the ramparts and looked over. Through the pouring rain, he could see dark shapes, and in the distance he could hear the hum and throb of vehicle engines.

“This is the where the fun begins,” murmured Atton.

Chapter 5: Storm

Another Sith fell beneath his blade as he stood his ground in the crumbling, rotten gate to the Republic held ‘fort’. Their bodies plastered the churned mud, conditions were impossibly difficult to move around in let alone fight, yet fight they did. There were muffled bangs all around, brief flashes obscured by the rolling mists. Sith artillery was trying to force the Republic out of the fort, but they stood their ground. Hopelessly outnumbered as they were, the deficit was made up by the Jedi, and the troops were fighting to the peak of their ability and heart, their resolved steeled by Bastila’s Battle Meditation. Right now, she was in command, in the deep trance that was necessary for the full potential of the power to be released.

The rain was now almost horizontal, the flashes of lightning and the rumble of thunder frequent enough to impair the senses and reactions of those fighting. When the lightning lit up the surroundings, it revealed the broken, moulding skeletons of ancient buildings of an unknown civilization, the wind howling around was the sound of ghosts from thousands of years ago storming the ramparts of the ruins.

Revan was bone-tired but he kept fighting doggedly. Now the Sith were climbing over their own dead, pushing paths through drifts of corpses in Sith uniforms, just to get to the gates, where Revan, the Exile and Saev Verayi were defending the eastward gate. The other five were spread around the fort, defending where defence was required, blocking up holes in the walls they had surrounded themselves with.

Another crash of thunder, another fallen Sith. Now the Sith were coming more cautiously. They seemed reluctant to come within reach of the scything blades of the three Jedi. For three hours since the middle of the night they had been trying to break through, and each time they came forward, they had failed. Their resolve was weakening; the Republic forces could see it even through the downpour. Yet, fear of their dark masters drove them forward, dark masters who cared not about the losses, only if they achieved their goal.

Shan strode along the top of the walls, pushing back his hair out of his eyes, offering encouragement where needed, peering through the gloom at the dark shapes beyond. Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion, and yet time was passing quicker than it seemed it should. Each time he looked up, the faint glow that was Malastare’s single moon had shifted further across they sky.

They had been fighting now nearly four hours, and he was bone-weary. His arms felt weak, his legs were shaky and his head ached, but he could not stop. They were pushing the Sith back, but they were just withdrawing into a shell. They would not win this way.

Another shell exploded two dozen or so yards in front of him, sending flashes of pain through his head, as he watched the lifeless bodies of two Republic soldiers slump to the floor.

Nothing is worth this…

He noticed the two bodies had fallen in a ‘V’ shape, and came horribly close to giggling.

What the hell…?

He was close to delirium, his eyes were drooping. Keeling forward, he fell flat on his face onto the mossy and wet rocks, cracking his head. He saw flashes in his vision, felt nauseous and dizzy. After lying still long enough to regain his composure, he pulled himself up using a nearby rock.

I wasn’t made for this…

Bastila opened her eyes as the sky started to lighten, turning from a deep navy blue-grey to a slightly lighter shade of blue-grey. The sun was peaking over the mountains. She could sense the Sith pulling back into the jungle to re-group. She could also sense to weariness of the surrounding soldiers, the fear and the relief almost impossible to distinguish through the mess of emotions.

She saw Revan trudging up the hill towards their camp. He walked up, and almost collapsed onto a nearby rock. He sat there, on the verge of sheer exhaustion.

“We… should push forward… might not get… another chance.”

“You’re going nowhere. You look exhausted.”

He pushed his hair out of his eyes and looked around. The soldiers were all stumbling to their respective camps, looking for some rest, or at least a little peace for a while. There were some who would not sleep, not for days to come.

“You’re right. I couldn’t crowbar most of these out of this place. And I’ll admit, I could do with some rest.”

He leaned back against a wall and let out his breath in a long sigh. He felt as if he closed his eyes he would sleep for the whole day. He forced them open, and glanced across at Bastila.

“How are you doing?”

“Fine, fine…”

If anything, she looked paler than anyone.

“Get some rest. I’ll go and check on the others.”

She nodded wearily, and laid her head against the wall. Revan got up and padded off in the direction of the forward camps. He met the Exile and Shan there. He strode up and sat down on a nearby wall.

“So, what now?” asked Shan.

“I don’t know… we should go on the offensive, but we’re tired, we need rest. We cannot attack them like this, you know this as well as I. Bastila needs to recover her Force power, I just need rest and I can see you two do aswell.”

They looked as one towards the churned up field fronting their encampment. It was still littered with bodies and the wreckage of machinery despite the men’s best efforts. A light smoke obscured the grey sky, most of it rising off the skeletons of burnt out Sith assault machines. It was a sobering scene. It was only made worse by the knowledge that they would have to face it again soon enough, back to the mud and the rain and the cold.

“We must push on as soon as possible. If we cannot beat them, then we take as many as possible with us. They will not take me without a fight.”

Once again, the smoke was swirling and the mists were rolling as the armies of the Republic made ready to move out. They would be heading out into the deeper areas of the Malastare jungles, and a thin rain had started to fall, obscuring their vision and casting a pall over proceedings on a day already more than dark enough.

Their plan was to make for a cluster of structures similar to the ones they had camped out in themselves the previous night, as they believed this was where the Sith had set up their base camps. It was something of a shot in the dark, and not entirely in a figurative sense.

Shan did not feel a great deal better after two or three hours of fitful sleep, but he made himself stay alert and ready for anything. The Jedi were to lead the assault on the Sith forward lines, and he would most definitely need his wits about him.

They had crossed the field of last night’s battle, still littered with the wreckage and debris of battle; a few of the fires were still steadily smoking. The uneven surface was horrible to march on, and the churned mud only made it worse, so they were nearly as tired as they had been before they had their rest by the time they reached the outskirts of the jungle areas.

Looking around at the high trunks, festooned with creepers and vines, and hearing the calls of unseen animals from the growth, Shan felt a strong sense of disquiet. He could almost feel something would go wrong. What, or when, that would be, he could no say because he had no idea. He tried to dismiss it as the paranoia of war.

But of course he couldn’t, and as they day wore on, and the sun began it’s descent below the mountains in the north, it only got worse.

Revan was at the head of his detachment, leading the others forward. He could sense the presence of the enemy all around them, but they would not show themselves, and it was frustrating for him.

They had been marching steadily towards the distant ruins steadily for at least four hours now through the drizzle. Time’s passage seemed warped, the minutes trudged by, slower than seemed possible, yet all the time the day drew closer to night.

As the sun’s moved closer to the mountains, they were jumped by Sith troopers sneaking up on their vanguard, but they did not count on Revan. He had known they were coming at least ten minutes beforehand, and they found themselves quickly and effectively surrounded by Republic troops. They were mostly dead within minutes, but by this time the main body of the Sith soldiers were attacking the front lines of the Republic. Revan, who had stayed forward with his troops, and was already well into the fight, with three Sith already fallen to his scything blade.

Bastila had also jumped into the fight, having no time to use her Battle Meditation. She stayed close to Revan as they moved through the battlefield, making sure they were strong on all fronts. There were three main sections of the Republic army, each consisting of about two thousand men. They were making read to dig into a large culvert they had found themselves in, unloading the artillery and larger weapons. The Sith had unloaded some of their heavy weaponry already, and large shells were falling among them, making the sky haze over with smoke.

Revan was among the trees, relishing the close combat. Moving like a shadow, he struck into groups of Sith gunners, crippling their attacks. Fires were raging now, throwing strange and abstract shadows all around him as he laid into another small group of Sith soldiers.

He ducked another blaster shot, deflected another one into the face of another Sith, then whirled around and destroyed the rifle of another, trying to sneak up on him. He was surrounded on three sides, but he was comfortably holding his own against them. Less than ten seconds later, they were all dead. He looked around, and noticed Shan leaning against a tree, holding his side. He walked over to him.

“Are you hurt?”

Shan smiled weakly.

“Not badly. I’ll be up again in a couple of minutes.”

“Don’t over-exert yourself. This will not be the last of the fighting tonight.”

Shan nodded, and sat down, leaning against a tree. Revan turned away again, and watched as the Exile took down three Sith in as any swift strokes with her sabrestaff. She had become immensely powerful in the time after the Mandalorian Wars, due in large to her ‘Wound’. As long as this war went on, she would only become stronger. When it ended though…

He spotted movement out of the corner of his eye, several deep black shapes creeping through the shadows in the trees. He jumped up; looking for their target, and with a cold flood of despair, saw Bastila fighting off two Sith with vibro-blades on a small hillock. His heart seemed to be in his mouth as he started to run, sprinting within shouting range. Still the shapes were running, with much less space to make up. Then one stopped, and drew out a small glinting object, drew back its arm and threw…

Zomg Bastila! Poor girl seems to be getting into all sorts of trouble in recent fanfics:p There's a few typos in there. Just a suggestion...

I cannot just disappear the ship that easily.

"I cannot just make the ship disappear so easily." would better, and even that could be spiced up.

You've obviously put in a lot of effort and it shows:) Keep it up! Awaiting coming chapters!

Archived