Home

I found it!

Grifter_Grifts

Hello, everyone!

I'm glad to see that people still have an interest in Grim! I'm new to the game... Sort of. I'm also new to the forums. Great place you have, here! I'll contribute a hello, and a story:

I'm an avid gamer, and have countless flight sims and shooters, but almost no adventure games. To be honest, they never really interested me much... One day, in the summer of 1997, I opened my latest issue of PC Gamer Magazine and stumbled across an excellent review for an adventure game called Grim Fandango. I read it, and instantly fell in love with the game without even playing it. The storyline and images were powerful, and at that moment, the game reached out and grabbed my attention like no other. At that point in time, I was 14 and money was scarce. I would pull a copy from the shelf at the store and stare at it, only to put it back until I could afford it. Of course, when I did come across some money, it was spent on my flight sim collection, or on parts for my bike. Grim Fandango was popping into my mind less and less frequently. Eventually, it was all but forgotten...

A few months ago, I went over to my parents' house and came across a box of some of my old belongings. Stuffed in the bottom, was that 1997 issue of PC gamer. The memory of Grim Fandango immediately came flooding back, and I flipped to the middle of the issue to read it again, 10 years later. This time, it held even more fascination for me, as the curiosity had brewed subconsciously for a decade, only to be compounded, and fully realized at that exact moment in time. I had to get this game, once and for all!

Of course, it's not terribly convenient to find an old game that is too technically obsolete to be of much interest to today's gamers. It appears that most people who purchased it had cherished their copy, and weren't willing to give it up. Naturally, Ebay had some selection, and I do shop there on occasion, but something made me uneasy to go that route. It was the easy way out, and I was willingly punishing myself for not buying it when I should have. I decided I would have to work for my copy of Grim... So, for the last several months I woke up at 6am every Sunday, scouring every flea market and yard sale in a 50 mile radius. It became quite a mission, but I never gave up. I didn't want a copy, I wanted my copy! I knew it was lying in a heap of junk somewhere. I just had to find it...

Well, yesterday I was driving home from work, and heard on the radio that construction was slowing traffic at my usual route, so I decided to take another way home. On the way, I saw a crude cardboard sign advertising a yard sale in a small subdivision. I almost didn't go, as the day had been wearing me down, but the mental image of poor Manny wandering through the land of the dead made me to go for it. I turned, following the signs to a small house tucked away unassumingly at the end of a street. I got out of my car and walked to the nearest table, manned by a young boy. I smiled at him, then proceeded to rifle through the mountains of typical yard sale junk; old, worn furniture and baby toys that were probably considered deadly by today's standards. After several minutes of wandering aimlessly about, I admitted defeat and headed for my car. As I was getting my keys, a CD case sticking out from under an old Lego box caught my eye. I barely found the energy to go over to it, as not one other item had made any indication that these people even owned a computer. Figuring it was probably an old music CD, I shuffled unenthusiastically towards it. I reached the table, pulled out the case, and there was Manny, staring me right in the face! I was stunned... My obsessive search was finally over, and I didn't know what to do. The father of the family must have seen the look on my face, because he started laughing, asking what I was doing, just standing there like a moron. I told him of my quest as I gave him 5 dollars, and to my surprise, he didn't find it strange. He told me to wait, and went into his house, coming back with the original box. He told me that Grim was his favorite game, and had been putting off selling it for years. Knowing that it was going to waste in his closet, he made the tough decision to sell it, and had kept the box out of respect, but now felt compelled to give it to someone who would love it as much as he did. He also forced my 5 dollars back on me, saying I'd paid enough already, by hunting a copy down.

Of course, I raced home to install it, and was pleasantly surprised to find out it runs fine under Windows XP, in compatibility mode. There are 2 brand new games sitting here, unplayed... They can wait. Heck, this one waited patiently for 10 years! It's ironic to me that I spent hundreds of dollars building a top of the line dual-core gaming machine, only to find the most pleasure from an old Lucasarts game called Grim Fandango. It really is the little things that count... I have proof! I'm glad I shunned all the anonymous, abandoned Ebay games... I finally have my very own, cared for copy that was loved and enjoyed by someone, and passed on to me, in person! It's great to know the history of my copy, and to know that it was indeed purchased at the same store I would have bought it from had I done it when I was 14. It could quite possibly be one of the boxes I pulled from the shelf to look at. I'm still in a state of euphoria, and really must get back to my game. Manny has just entered the woods... Who know what's in store for him? Probably all of you, come to think of it. But not me! Wish me luck...

Wow! That was a brilliant story. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and I have to admire your dedication. The longest time I've spent hunting a game is only a year, and I was in heaven when I found what I had been looking for -- I can only imagine what you must have felt like! :)

Welcome to the forums, too! We're a little slow these days, so new blood is always appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome, VampireNaomi! It feels AWESOME to finally get to play it... I can imagine the forums have slowed down over the years. I'm actually amazed that they are in existence at all. It shows how dedicated people are! I can see why. This is a unique game, with alot of heart... I love it! What a great story it's putting together for me...

I read about THE DIG. It got some horrible reviews when it came out. What did you think of it? Sometimes you have to take the review with a grain of salt. Some of them seem biased, and I have enjoyed several "bad" games... And I am very picky! I must say, it looks interesting in a surreal sort of way.

So, you found it in a store? There are literally dozens of game stores where I live, but I have noticed a disturbing trend developing, the last 3 or 4 years: The PC section gets smaller and smaller, being crowded out by the console games! Most of the game stores had used PC games too, but now you can only trade console games... The used PC section has been phased out, and the new PC section just shrinks, and keeps getting moved around to accomodate the consoles. It's sad, especially for those who collect flight sims. There is no such thing as a sim for consoles, and we make up such a narrow market, anyway. Developing realistic sims to please the fanatics is becoming too risky and unprofitable... Kind of depressing.

It's a good thing I have a broad range of interests, because this one seems to be headed for extinction!

Lots of people think of The Dig as a mediocre or even bad game, but I actually love it. It's my favourite LucasArts game after Grim Fandango because it has a unique atmosphere, gorgeous sceneries, great music and an intriguing mystery. It's a little weak in terms of story, voice acting and puzzles, though.

I'm saddened by the decreasing amount of PC games in stores as well, but at the same time, I have great hopes for the Nintendo DS. Some great games have already been released on it, and the future looks very promising.

Wow, what a great story. That's absolutely amazing, I'm glad your treasure hunt paid off! I felt something similar when I first read a review for Monkey Island 1, when I was about 11 or 12. I was obsessed about a game that I'd never played. Even though I managed to get a copy of it (I was so sure I was going to love it), my Amiga 500 didn't have the memory upgrade required to play the game... I had to wait until my birthday for my parents to get it for me (more or less JUST to I could play Monkey Island :)).

As soon as it loaded I was absolutely smitten. It completely delivered in every way I imagined. I even sat and watched the credits because I loved the music and atmosphere so much. It quickly became my favourite game of all time... and the rest is history!

That was a great story! I admire your determination. I remember when I first heard about Grim Fandango. I was reading a PC gamer magazine and it had a section on its top 100 games, and Grim Fandango was #2, although at the time, I didn't think much of it, until I played the demo at a friend's house and fell instantly in love with it :)

Needless to say, I snapped it up! :D

There was a time when Lucas Arts was selling GF right off of their site back in 05 (which was how I got it), but I tried looking back there now and i can't find it!

Any way though, it's good you got a game out of love, or a game that was loved before you got it, only to be loved again by a new owner. AND YOU GOT THE BOX! hell, lucas just sent me the case when I bought it, but not the box! Is the box still all shiny with sharp corners!?

Wow, this is a REALLY hard game at times! It really makes you look at things from every possible perspective, and review the message history. I was tempted to look at a walkthrough for certain parts, but didn't allow myself to. So far, so good... If I get stuck on one thing for more than 2 weeks, I'll take a peek.

And yeah, the box is in mint condition! My girlfriend wants to kill me, though... I have about 400 game boxes on shelves in my computer room... It looks like a game store that hasn't cleared the old titles off the racks since 1987!

One more addition to the Win95 section... Filed under "G" :)

Wow, this is a REALLY hard game at times! It really makes you look at things from every possible perspective, and review the message history. I was tempted to look at a walkthrough for certain parts, but didn't allow myself to. So far, so good... If I get stuck on one thing for more than 2 weeks, I'll take a peek.

And yeah, the box is in mint condition! My girlfriend wants to kill me, though... I have about 400 game boxes on shelves in my computer room... It looks like a game store that hasn't cleared the old titles off the racks since 1987!

One more addition to the Win95 section... Filed under "G" :)

That's a great story! Glad you got it :)

Yeah, it's a really hard game actually. I love it!

And about the walkthrough: http://www.grim-fandango.com/hints.php

You've got hints there, so you can try and find out by yourself what you have to do next. Using walkthroughs absolutely ruin the fun of the game.

Hope it helped :)

And enjoy the best game ever! Grim Fandango!

THANKS! Still trudging along on my own... No cheating yet! I feel alot better knowing there are hints out there if I need some. I REALLY didn't want to use a walkthrough, even for one part. I agree, it ruins the whole point of the game!

It's funny... I run a Day Of Defeat server, and the members/regulars have been asking me where I've been lately... I can't tell them, or they will disown me, lol. I found that out the hard way, when I admitted I'd been playing the Sims 2 a few months ago. Alot of those FPS players are somewhat narrow-minded. People need to expand their horizons!

;)

Yeah, that would be great! Now you have me thinking...

I do alot of 3D animation using Maya and 3DS Max... Which are used for developing games... But I have no idea how to program game code. (And I don't have millions of dollars, 30 developers, or a license from Lucasarts!) I do make models, audio, and movies, though. I've had a CG movie project going for just over a year, and will still be working on it for at least another year, but will make a 3 or 4 minute "Homage to Grim Fandango" render on the side. (Actually, my other project is a side project too, so this one will be a side-side project, lol) It would be the next best thing to a game, I guess... And it's all I have to offer to the GF community. At least the models and movements will be easier to make... Just bare bones!

I'll start on a Manny model in the near future (anywhere from next week to next month, depending on how much free time I have) and will post it on my Deviant Art page, along with updates once it has progressed a bit. Here's a link to my DA page: http://grifter-grifts.deviantart.com/ There are a few still images of animations in my gallery, below the photography stuff, to give you a rough idea of what the movie will be like.

PS... If anyone can imitate Manny and/or other characters somewhat decently and is ok with lending their voice, I'd be very willing to accept some help! We would be gaining no profit, but I want to avoid using any copyrighted content. Any original art, music, or whatever else you want to contribute is also welcome! We can have an opening sequence, using it all. I would prefer to keep it all original, including audio, partially out of legal concern, but mostly because I hate using pre-existing material... Where's the fun in that?! This is going to be OURS. Of course, everyone's names will be included in the credits. Feel free to pitch in! Anything goes!

LONG LIVE GRIM FANDANGO! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Since I love the openingpost, I chose this thread to tell you all that I got my copy off E-bay. It's in a dvd-case and it looks like the cd's were never touched. The case got some slight smudges, but I would give the whole a 9 out of 10 anyway. Woohoo! €10 with some additional shipping costs.

Awesome. :)

I got a new copy a few weeks ago as my original in the card CD holder was very tatty, and I didn't want to keep using it and thus destroying it even more. It too came in a DVD case, but also seal wrapped so clearly it'd never been opened and was probably bought for the sole purpose of re-selling it later on once it's harder to find.

Play.com still has a number you can get from their marketplace sellers or whatever (ie: small businesses selling through the site), and eBay generally has some in stock although those aren't always guaranteed to be unopened.

No idea what we'll do in a year or so once these last copies are exhausted, though. :( I really hope LucasArts will eventually consider patching it up and re-releasing it for the third time (no idea how they'd do it as 3D games can be a real pain to keep working without emulation). They kept Monkey Island going for longer via re-releases.

Archived