Home

help withmaking a "team player" No spoilers

mur'phon

So, after finaly geting a PC capable of runing kotor, I want some hints as to how to create my "hero". I am thinking of bringing HK and bastilla along in my group, HK for the fun, Bastilla I just want to kill (don't tel me if I can/cant). So how should I design my hero? What atributes/skils/feats/powers should I choose and how should I develop them? Have my partymembers a weakness I need to be able to handle? And how should I develop their skils/atributes/feats/powers

Note that I will be playing lightside, and wont folow a walktrough, so tell me if your advice relies upon me either doing DS things or hard to find sidequests.

any help will be apreciated, any spoilers will be written down in my book of grudges :ears1:

Erm... cheating to get every single thing you can possibly get always works, as long as you don't pick any droid only feats with the Kotor Savegame editor. don't forget the nice tihngs called mods that really make the game really fun! and one spoiler:

Darkside ending's much better in this game

Well, what's best depends very heavily upon your playing style. Are you looking to be a brute in combat, good with skills, or something in between?

Darkside ending's much better in this game

That's relative. Both have their different strengths, and in the end I think they're about even.

For instance, the Bastila duel and redemption on the Star Forge is infinitely superior to killing another of Malak's Dark Jedi trios.

Do you plan on playing it straight out of the box, no cheat codes? If you use no other cheats, at least use turbo. It just moves a little toooo slowly at regular speed for all the distances you have to cover in some places. Since I don't know what you actually know about the game (a lot of ground has been covered in these threads and I don't know what you've seen) it may be difficult to avoid any accidental spoilers (for me or anyone who replies to this post). Playing LS is a bit disadvantageous in the credit department, so you may find yourself going to Yavin for the best prices. If you have low persuade skills, make sure you've got a jedi (Bastilla should do) in your party to occasionally help you out. Do you plan to use guns or swords? If your health is running low, disengage whenever possible and use suitable cover to fire off a grenade or two before attacking in some places. Remember to take advantage of the pause before combat to assign actions to your crew (I didn't do that when I first played and it helps). It also may not be a bad idea to assign more defensive powers to your jedi npcs and put them in jedi support mode. Load up on stims and medpacs/repair kits and pay attention to your dialogue options b/c your crew can provide you some freebies throughout the game. You've probably already figured some of this out if you've been playing by the time you've read this (or may have read it elswhere). If you don't cheat at all, your first game may last well over 40 hours (mine was about 45, and others have gone for as long as 60+) if you try to do all the sidequests. The greatest "time wasters" are reading dialogue, combat and walking/running. I'll stop here (others can fill in the truck hole size gaps I've left). Have fun.

@Arcesious--what problems did droid only feats cause you? I usually just took all the feats when I've used KSE and didn't notice any problems.

droid only feats can glitch. For example, if you add the flamethrower feat (only enemies use it since they automatically have no specila armor or backup weaposn equiped Ex: they can use a flamethrowe or a carbonite projector without actually having one equipped wit hthis feat), you will get freezing on your guy when using that ability, but your droid compaions will love it, becasuer it means they have unlimited special weapons. a Human cannot use droid only speicla weapons. using that feat ona human will freeze the game. it is however always fun to give HK-47 a dozen special wepaon's feats.

I won't use cheats, except to deal with an inconvinience like long distance travel. I have only been as far as dantoine. My general Idea was to use my pc as a frontline meatshield/buffer with some powers to help him there, bastilla as a healer/flanker since she apears to dislike armour, and hk as a ranged damage dealer. I just want some help in how to design my character, aswel as which skils/feats/powers/atributes to select when my pc/bastilla/hk levels up. With regards to sidequests, I try to do as many as possible, though I'll probably miss some. Thanks for the replies

Well it would really help if you could tell us what class you are and what powers/feat/attributes you already have plus what level you are but until then heres stuff I like for "tank build"

Recomended feats:

two weapon fighting (all three)

power attack (all three)

toughness (just the first one I think)

Powers:

Burst of speed--> Knight speed-->master speed

force valor-->knight valor--> master valor

Force wave

Not much but until I get more info its all I can really say.

If you're looking to be a melee buff, start off as a soldier and invest in the toughness, two-weapon fighting and flurry tiers of feats. Don't bother specializing in any weapons before you become a Jedi as lightsabers are better than they are anyway. For skills put them into treat injury; everything else is secondary.

Once you become Jedi take the Guardian class and continue to invest in the above mentioned feats. Once you've gotten all those/can't currently get them, get the critical strike and blaster deflection feats. Power attack there's not really any point in getting, as it lowers your attack roll and only adds 10 extra points of damage to your attack. (Whereas flurry gives you extra attacks, and it won't take long before your PC does more than 10 damage.)

For Force powers invest in the speed series, regardless of alignment. You'll get several extra attacks per round and combined with flurry while using a double-bladed (or better yet, dual) weapon(s) you can rip apart most enemies in the first few rounds of combat. If you're playing LS get whatever buffs you the most (valor is good at that), and if you're playing DS get the fear/horror/insanity tier of powers as they aren't restricted by armor and will be more useful than lightning since you'll be able to dish out far more damage damage with your sabers against opponents who can't fight back. The LS version of this is stun/stasis/stasis field, but it's better to give it to Bastila since she's already light-sided and lets you choose more buff powers.

For attributes invest as little as possible in intelligence and put a lot into strength and constitution. Dexterity you shouldn't bother with if you plan on wearing armor, which is generally a good idea for tank characters who have weak Force powers in any case. Wisdom and charisma you should keep at somewhat decent levels as they affect how powerful/how many Force powers you can cast, but that again is secondary to strength and constitution.

Using a double or dual weapons is very useful for the extra attack per round it provides, or if you're using speed the several extra attacks per round. Generally it's best to use a double-bladed lightsaber at first if you're scarcer on crystals, but once you find enough it's best to switch to dual ones so you can take advantage of both the HotG and MotF crystals if you don't mind the weird colors. It works very well then to put crystals guaranteed to do damage in one saber (ie one that adds +5 to damage) and ones that potentially do more or less damage in the other (ones that do +1-10 damage).

Well, that's it. I personally prefer a more in-between character, but that should work well enough.

I am starting a new game as soon as my mate remebers where he put it, sorry if I didnt make it clear. Thanks for the replies, especially ED. Ok, I have changed my mind a bit and are thinking of going scout 5/15 guardian, mainly in order to get enough skils to repair HK, (yes I like him a lot, kinda like me with his chatter, only serious) but also since I heard that dex help you hit things, and robes having an unlimited max dex bonus to defence. with 12str (might change it to 10, as I don't think it's all that usefull) 15+5dex, 14int(might change it to 12 if I find that it is enough to repair hk and get good persuade and avarenes) wis14 cha12 (possibly 14) con10 (hopefully I won't get hit very much). for feats, I plan on having focus lightsaber, the dual wielding feats, flurry, and implants+whatever strikes my fancy (sugestions welcomed). If there is anything you think I should change, please tell me.

And if it is not too much bother, could someone give me an idea of which skils/atributes/feats to select for hk and bastilla?

Dexterity only helps you hit things if you're using a blaster. Strength helps you hit things if you're using a melee weapon, and also makes it do more damage upon hitting. (Hence why melee weapons are so much better than ranged ones.) All dexterity will do is raise your AC (make you harder to hit), which doesn't really count for much as wearing heavy armor will do that just as well if not better, and allow you to put your attribute points into something more worthwhile.

I'd also reconsider what kind of character you're designing. To be honest, 12 strength and 10 constitution is nothing less than dreadful for a melee character to have, and if you're looking to be good with skills like repair you might as well take another class altogether as cross-classing and not investing in class attributes only results in a weaker build. (I prefer a sentinel character myself.)

For Bastila treat injury is also the most important skill, but she gets enough points you can also invest in computer use. Quite handy to have a lot of points in that as you can kill all your enemies with gas/explosions at no risk to yourself, still get the XP you'd have gotten from killing them in a fair fight, and you get some extra XP to boot.

Bastila you should also have take the flurry and two-weapon feats, and if you have anything left toughness and blaster deflection. For powers invest in the speed, stasis/stun and valor tiers. Don't bother with lightsaber throw as it does awful damage or any DS powers as it'll cost her extra Force energy to use. For attributes strength and dexterity are good, as she has a bad constitution and already has a fairly high dexterity so you might as well make her even harder to hit. (Armor is impractical for her to wear as it negates her Force powers.)

HK also has a poor constitution, but ideally that shouldn't ever matter as he's a ranged character. He already has a high dexterity so you should invest more in that, as it makes it easier for him to hit his target and increases his AC. Since droid plating doesn't limit dexterity bonuses at all you can get him a sky-high AC by the end of the game. For skills repair comes first (that's treat injury for droids) followed by demolitions as you'll need someone in your party to take care of mines and you can sell them for a decent enough amount of credits.

Feats for melee gurus:

1. Master speed

2. Master flurry

3. Master critical strike with a keen weapon (statistically on average you'll do more damage with master speed/master critical strike, but it's not much different)

I agree with others--don't put anything into power attack.

Take two-weapon fighting and carry 2 lightsabers. The one in your main hand you'll upgrade with crystals that do max attack and damage, the other hand you can have a saber with crystals to either deflect blaster bolts or boost your stats such as in str, con, and wis. You will want to visit Yavin often--at least 3 times. Suvam has rare crystals that you can only buy after visiting several times, and he will pay the highest amount for your items.

Other Force powers depend on your alignment. If you're going for a light side character, go for the tree of powers that includes Force Wave and possibly stasis field. If dark side, go for Force lightning. Kill, and insanity. Whatever you do, go for either totally dark or totally light--you get a good bonus for reaching either end of the spectrum. There is no bonus for staying 'gray'.

You can change party members in and out as needed for different skills, such as computer use and demolitions and all, so I'd put skill points into persuade and treat injury and give other party members different strengths. Mission has a lot in demolitions, for instance, so I'd have her be the mine-setter and remover.

If you want to use all your Force powers, then yes, you will need a fairly high Dex and use Jedi robes. However, don't neglect Strength or Constitution. Con determines your hit points, so you want a fairly high number there. Str determines your ability to hit and do damage with a melee weapon, and that adds up after awhile--you definitely want to spend some points here. If you're going for more of a Force user, put points in Wis since that determines how effective your force powers are.

Making money--once you get the Ebon Hawk off Dantooine, if you ask the different party members to make things for you, they will to a certain point. You can ask them to make things repeatedly. Zaalbar will make grenades, Mission will make security spikes, T3 will make computer spikes, Jolee will make life support packs. You can have them all make as much as they will for you, go stash it in the storage containers in the cargo hold, go back and have them make some more, and then go sell the stuff, go back to them, have them make more stuff, etc.

When playing pazaak, save after every win. When you lose a game, go back to the previous save so you don't lose your money. You will want to play Suvam and win (not just play) 10 pazaak games with him--it'll give you good discounts on his items, and he has the best items in the game.

You can get through the game just fine without cheating or altering things with KSE. Try it without cheats on the first playthrough just to see how the game runs. After that, have fun modding it like crazy--or not, as you desire.

Ok, thanks a lot for the tips, I read on a different forum that your character automatically had a "feat" that allowed you to use your dex bonus instead of your strenght when using mele weapons (at least lightsabers). The guy who said so had an x-box though, so maybe it only works there. It might of course be a myth, but others seemed to agre with him The reason I want enough skil points is because of HK, I badly want to have him at full strenght.

Of course, since my idea relies heavily on the hidden "feat", I'll have to get back to the drawing board if it dosent exsist. So if someone could get a definite answer to that I would be most grateful. Also, could someone please tel me what DLC is short for? Thanks a lot for the tips, now if only my mate could get his swis-cheese memory to work........

Ok' date=' thanks a lot for the tips, I read on a different forum that your character automatically had a "feat" that allowed you to use your dex bonus instead of your strenght when using mele weapons (at least lightsabers). [/quote']

There is a "Finesse: Lightsabers" feat that allows you to use your Dexterity bonus to Attack instead of Strength when using lightsabers. Keep in mind that this only affects the Attack bonus though, not the Damage bonus.

If I remember correctly this feat only exists in K2:TSL though, not in the first KOTOR game.

The people on the forum said that it wasn't listed as a feat, but that you got the dex bonus to attack if it is higher than you strenght bonus. If somebody with a pc would bother to test this, I'll be very grateful as I believe jedis should "fly like a butterfly, sting like a bee", not "charge like a drunkard, hit like a tank"

Thanks a lot ED, another thing said by the same guy is that there is no limit to dex bonus to ac when wearing robes, something also suposedly not written anywhere. If true, I think that using dex enchancing gear+implants+powers should give anyone a tough time hitting me, while at the same time 2 weapons+flurry+knights speed+hitting almost every time should make up for my lack of damage from strenght. If anyone could check wether it's true or not, I'll be most gratefull. And if anyone has any ideas how to make my char better, please tell me. Note that I won't change the "theme" of this char (e.g a doging demon, relying on skill rather than strenght). Also could someone please tell me what DLC is short for?

Odd, as he use an x-box, well I guess you learn something new every day

edit: apparently vista/my pc dosen't like kotor very much, which is sligtly anoying as I bought the comp mainly to play kotor. Still, if someone with a char with more than +8 dex bonus could check if there truly is a limit to dex bonus to ac when earing jedi robes it would be nice as I haven't given up on geting it to work.

Archived