Home

Bibles, Cups and Video Cameras Banned at Beijing 2008 Olympic Village

Darth InSidious

(Apologies for the long title.)

The Bible among objects prohibited at the 2008 Beijing Olympics

Beijing, Nov 2, 2007 / 02:18 pm (CNA).- Organizes of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing have published a list of “prohibited objects” in the Olympic village where athletes will stay. To the surprise of many, Bibles are among the objects that will not be allowed.

According to the Italian daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, organizers have cited “security reasons” and have prohibited athletes from bearing any kind of religious symbol at Olympic facilities.

Other objects on the list include video cameras and cups.

The Spanish daily La Razon said the rule was one of a number of “signs of censure and intolerance” towards religious objects, particularly those used by Christians in China. Currently in China five bishops and fifteen priests are in prison for opposing the official Church.

Source: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=10868.

Discuss.

Especially since China's is hosting these Olympics to show the rest of the world their credibility and that they've entered the 21st century.
Maybe it's their version of the 21st century. No religion and cups. XD

I think until now not really anything ever blew back into China's face, and so won't this. However, what's the deal with keeping religion out of a sports event?

Maybe it's their version of the 21st century. No religion and cups. XD

I think until now not really anything ever blew back into China's face, and so won't this. However, what's the deal with keeping religion out of a sports event?

I hope they don't have an objection to mugs.

It's because China is trying to be an officially atheist state. As the Olympics are , technically, state-sponsored games, they should therefore be religion free, like the State.

No big surprise. I just wonder why we let China host the Olympics. They've got about as much regard for human life as I do for cockroaches, it's about two steps up from having North Korea host the games.

Come to sunny Beijing for the Olympics! You might survive - if we don't have another great leap forward!

Huh, La Gazetta dello Sport...

Someone doesn't follow Europeans sports no? That newspaper doesn't have a great reputation...

Although a wide range of sports are covered in the newspaper, football is given by far the majority of the coverage. With some 24-28 pages out of 40 devoted to the sport on a daily basis, much of the journalism is speculative and sensationalist rather than the pure reporting of matches.

A lot of crap in those pages.

I've come to ignore articles saying:"According to La Gazetta dello Sport..."

Huh, La Gazetta dello Sport...

Someone doesn't follow Europeans sports no? That newspaper doesn't have a great reputation...

A lot of crap in those pages.

I've come to ignore articles saying:"According to La Gazetta dello Sport..."

Typical. But if China has prohibited it, then they said it somewhere.

Archived