Home

The Jedi Problem

John Galt

The only way implementing jedi would work was if there was a heavy penalty on them, like the inability for certain feats and skills. I like the idea of a stat penalty for a while... Its not as if its insanely difficult to kill a jedi with a good old vibroblade... just the proper skills. Allocating force sensitivity points is a good idea... perhaps with a low rating, you could be a soldier, but with maybe a feat like "Premonition," giving you an increased dodge, parry, and critical rating, like Darth Bane before he was trained. Maybe some other feats... Hell, maybe some limited mental influence. Not fear exactly, but a kind of mental effect, maybe causing some lower saves?

And yes, removing jedi would just piss people off.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What I mean is that losing massive amounts of experience points after death, permadeath, quotas and other artificial methods of limiting the number of Jedi is insulting to the customers. A lot of people who are going to play the game are aiming for to have Jedi character.

Well yeah, I completely agree with this. I'd be pretty upset too if I lost a whole lot of exp I worked hard to get.

If too many obstacles between them and their objective are put in order to make the numbers low, people are going to be pissed.

I was only giving an example of the idea of making the journey to the force user Jedi/Sith a little more challenging than just starting out as one. No, there shouldn't be TOO MANY obstacles in the way, but there should be obstacles! And of course a vast majority will want that opportunity to become a force user. I don't know, maybe they could do a different leveling symstem for force powers once you are a Jedi, just something to make it interesting.

The journey to a Jedi shouldn't be so incredibly hard that you want to destroy something out of frustration, believe me I've been there. But there should be a decent level of challenge fit for rookies and experienced players.

As for balancing out, it would most likely be improbable, but if it could be as close as possible would be good enough.

No, it just shows that it would need a lot of thought put into it so that it would be just right.

QFE

I like some of the ideas you guys are pitching, like the force/skill slider. I think a combination of several functions would be needed to make Jedi implementable, though.

I think this whole thread goes to show why a KOTOR MMORPG would be teh suXXorz.

I think the idea is between a rock and a hard place in that for many they would play as Jedi to be all powerful and make the game easy. Those who don't want to be Jedi would have it because of how one sided the game would be, where as if Jedi weren't made out to be so powerful then those who play them would scream because they then could be killed by other players.

It's an MMO, that automaticly puts the plot on the backburner. How can a million players all play the same plot, at the same time, in the same gameworld?

If we can trust Bioware's press release that granted it the right to create a story-based interactive thingy, then that means that if the MMO is going to be made, it will be based on the story, or the lore.

If it had an ending, where if you complete it, then you can restart back at Level 1...then we can start establishing a good (but, considered Bioware's history, cliched) plot. After all, this was used in Kingdom of Loathing, Legend of the Green Dragon, etc. Throw in an 'ending' and volia, you can finally bring plot back into the forefront.

But of course, I'm not making the game. So all my suggestions are for naught. ;)

I think the idea is between a rock and a hard place in that for many they would play as Jedi to be all powerful and make the game easy. Those who don't want to be Jedi would have it because of how one sided the game would be, where as if Jedi weren't made out to be so powerful then those who play them would scream because they then could be killed by other players.

Right, but the idea is to make Jedi human, so, yes, they're powerful close-up fighters with some specialized force skills, but they are still vulnerable to certain bounty hunter tricks, as outlined by Atton and HK-47.

Basically, attacking them head-on with blaster pistols is futile except for the master pistoleer(like Jango Fett or Calo Nord), but they're fairly easy to defeat(within reason) with the right techniques.

I think this whole thread goes to show why a KOTOR MMORPG would be teh suXXorz.

Word!

No, it just shows that it would need a lot of thought put into it so that it would be just right.

Problem is you can't ever get to this fabled "just right"... it doesn't exist. You can't please everyone (all the current and past MMO's are examples of this).

Problem is you can't ever get to this fabled "just right"... it doesn't exist. You can't please everyone (all the current and past MMO's are examples of this).

this is largely why I play SRPGs, of course, you're still trying to please as many people as possible then, but at least during gameplay you only have to please one person(or maybe 1-4 with co-op)

this is largely why I play SRPGs, of course, you're still trying to please as many people as possible then, but at least during gameplay you only have to please one person(or maybe 1-4 with co-op)

Actually making a single player game is a different beast entirely... when making one of these you are targeting a certain specific audience when doing so.

In a way it actually does, just not in the way you'd REALLY like it to be. By "just right", I meant at a good, generally satisfying level that is achievable.

And I don't know, less focus on say, the plot?

It's an MMO, that automaticly puts the plot on the backburner. How can a million players all play the same plot, at the same time, in the same gameworld?

Well, because it's an MMO, there shouldn't necessarily be a PLOT persay, but more of a bunch of never-ending sub plots aka the quests you take on during gameplay.

In a way it actually does, just not in the way you'd REALLY like it to be. By "just right", I meant at a good, generally satisfying level that is achievable.

Sorry, but this is a "pipe-dream" it just isn't possible... while you may be happy, others will not be. Sad fact of MMO's.

And there lies the problem. We could have all these counters for Jedi, things like snipers, assassin droids and the like, but the people who play as Jedi so they are all powerful over non Jedi will scream that things are made more balenced and fair. Make them all powerful and everyone else won't like it, particularly if it follows the cardinal sin where you basically have to play as a Jedi or certain class as many games of this ilk fall into the trap of doing.

Sorry, but this is a "pipe-dream" it just isn't possible... while you may be happy, others will not be. Sad fact of MMO's.

Then why court both sides when its impossible? Court only one side, and get their undivided devotion and support. Sure, you'll probraly ruin the KOTOR community, dividing it in a civil war, but let face it, if 10,000 people will play a game no matter what, you're printing money like it's no tommorow.

that's the story of any game. MMO or not. You see it in all the praise and complaints in any given thread about TSL...or ANY game for that matter.

It's impossible to make everyone happy. Trying to do so is dumb.

Well, because it's an MMO, there shouldn't necessarily be a PLOT persay, but more of a bunch of never-ending sub plots aka the quests you take on during gameplay.

makes sense, if the game is placed after the Mandalorian war and the Jedi Civil war, we've essentially got the Jedi, Sith, and Republic all trying to rebuild. There's your central plotline: rebuild whichever major faction you decide to be part of. The Jedi will of course, be helping the Republic as they grow, while the Sith will do the same, except at the same time sabotaging Jedi efforts and trying to swing planets in favor of the Sith, since the Republic will have a natural inclination towards the Jedi 'cause they're "good guys".

Exactly, almost like playing a futuristic version of GTA, in a galaxy far, far, away...

Every MMO I see looks like GTA in a different setting....with more people and less NPCs.

and then, Tom Lehrer reminds me of why I don't play with his line: "...murder them all amidst laughter and merrimentm except for the ones we take home to experiment!"

But what is just right?

If we can trust Bioware's press release that granted it the right to create a story-based interactive thingy, then that means that if the MMO is going to be made, it will be based on the story, or the lore.
So was Galaxies. It was based on the lore between ANH and ESB. That all went out the window when everyone wanted to be a Jedi. And it wasn't just thrown out the window. It was launched out the window on a rocket.

Right, but the idea is to make Jedi human, so, yes, they're powerful close-up fighters with some specialized force skills, but they are still vulnerable to certain bounty hunter tricks, as outlined by Atton and HK-47.
What bounty hunters? Everyone and their dog will be a Jedi or a Sith!

this is largely why I play SRPGs, of course, you're still trying to please as many people as possible then
At least with a SRPG you can create a world where everyone you come in contact with acts according to that world, and not deal with things like, "Your character is hot, are you really a chick?? OMG pix plz!!"

Alternately, they could make getting a Jedi so difficult it's improbable to get one without the assistance of a large-scale guild and several years worth of play, similar to getting a Titan in EVE Online.
Like Galaxies did?

Archived