Home

Spike TV 2007 Video Game Awards Winners

JoeDoe 2.0

At the 2007 Spike TV Video Game Awards (VGAs), the annual bevy of celebrities hit the stage to host, entertain and flaunt their C-list status to the hordes of gaming onlookers. Once again, Samuel L. Jackson hosted the event. Irrational Games' Bioshock garnered the most praise from the ceremony, winning Game of the Year, Best Xbox 360 Game and Best Original Score. Harmonix also won a combined three awards for Rock Band and Studio of the Year. Runner-ups for all-around award winning would be Halo 3, The Orange Box, Call of Duty and Super Mario Galaxy with two categories each.

Below are the categories and its winner (bold) and runner ups, please feel free to comment about them:

Game of the Year:

BioShock

Halo 3

Mass Effect

The Orange Box

Best Shooter:

BioShock (WTF?)

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Halo 3

The Orange Box

Best Action Game:

Super Mario Galaxy (WTFWTF?!)

Assassin's Creed

God of War 2

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Best Rhythm Game:

Rock Band

Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80s

Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

Jam Sessions

Best RPG:

Mass Effect

Eternal Sonata

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Best Driving Game:

Colin McRae: DiRT

Forza Motorsport 2

Need for Speed ProStreet

Project Gotham Racing 4

Best Military Game:

[/b]Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas

World in Conflict

Studio of the Year:

Harmonix

Bungie Studios

Irrational Games

Valve

Best Graphics:

Mass Effect

BioShock

Crysis

Breakthrough Technology:

Portal

Crysis

Halo 3

Rock Band

Best PS3 Game:

Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction :haw:

Heavenly Sword

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Warhawk

Best Wii Game:

Super Mario Galaxy

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Super Paper Mario

Best Xbox 360 Game:

BioShock (??)

Mass Effect

Halo 3

The Orange Box

Best PC Game:

The Orange Box

Crysis

BioShock

World in Conflict

Best Individual Sports Game:

Skate

Tiger Woods PGA Tour 08

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

Virtua Tennis 3

Best Team Sports Game:

Madden NFL 08

NBA 2K8

NHL 08

Winning Eleven: Pro Evolution Soccer 2007

Best Handheld Game:

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords

Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show:

The Simpsons Game (YEAH :D )

Naruto: Rise of a Ninja

Stranglehold

Best Soundtrack:

Rock Band

BioShock

Tony Hawk's Proving Ground

Best Original Score:

BioShock

Mass Effect

Halo 3

God of War 2

Best Multiplayer Game:

Halo 3 (Had to be)

Rock Band

The Orange Box

Most Addictive Game Fueled by Dew

Halo 3

Wii Sports

Team Fortress 2

Mass Effect should have won Best Game of the Year IMO, and and Where the Hell was Bioware? Those guys should have won Studio of the Year for their Effort on Mass Effect

JoeDoe 2.0 wrote:

Super Mario Galaxy (WTFWTF?!)

Mario games have the skill or specialty to win every games that plays them. I've played Galaxy at a friends. If it wasn't for the fact I didn't have a Wii, I would have already bought it. It's magic I tell you :)

Only point of citisism:

Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show:

The word 'best' and 'movie game' in one sentence. Should be 'Least sucky or over-pressured rush product'

I agree with your questionmark after 'Bioshock' for the X-Box 360. It should be an 360-Exclusive here...

If I may respond on the 'portal' matter...

Breakthrough Technology:

Portal

Crysis

Halo 3

Rock Band

If I may:

-Crysis: It was tested in a games program on Dutch television. One of the testers got extremely angry over the fact that you'd need to purchase a NEW direct X 10 card for this sole game, whilst it is one, if not the first, direct X 10 game. A valid point. It seems the game has some deal with Nvidia about it? $500 dollar card + game makes one expensive breakthrough technology, no? I share his opinion. l33t graphics are nice, but not at the cost of your soul, or as it seems, to make dollar marks appear in certain people's eyes.

-Halo 3: Can't judge it. But from what I've heared, it's not a big step forward. Bioshock (which was developed multi-platform) looked better according to most people. The 'replay' and 'forge' things are revolutionary for a console though. Creating your own things. But not revolutionary compared with PC. It has already been done there.

Rock Band: Don't know. Seems a very neat game to me. But..isn't it just Guitar Hero with 4 different insturments? (I seriously don't know). If that's the case, it has already been done with Guitar Hero.

Portal: Well...it has never been done this way...but whilst all the other breakthroughs nominated are...'hardware' or 'revolutionary' for their platform, this isn't.

So...imo, None of them really stands out. Yeah, perhaps Crysis' graphics if it didn't seem like a 'duo-deal' like it does now. :)

In what way was Portal a "breakthrough technology"?

-Portal:

The team took the Source engine, rewrote a good part of it, and did a number of things with a modern day physics engine that had never been done before. The portal system, which at first glance seems easy, is quite an incredible piece of code. You can actually push hold an object half way through a portal and have it interact with something on the other side real time while watching both sides. The physics behind the portal system is very interesting, because it requires rapid changes in gravity when you, lets say, run into a wall and pop up through a floor.

Also, Companion Cubes.

-Crysis:

It is a version of Farcry that exists to try and show off DirectX10 graphics. Beyond that, nothing really new in this shooter. To get the full experience you needed brand new software anyway.

-Halo 3:

I wouldn't exactly call this breakthrough. The majority of what is in the game is copypasta'ed from Halo 2 and given moderately better graphics. The extras in multiplayer are new, and the new recording system is a neat breakthrough in of itself. If only you could rewind though.

Rock Band:

Guitar hero with extra stuff. Been done before.

@Ztalker: Yeah, but what really surprised me was Bioshock winning best shooter , it should have been Halo 3 or COD 4: MF

Meh, I disagree. Halo 3 wins most overhyped game of the year, and earns its multiplayer, but I still don't consider it the best shooter that has appeared this year.

Halo 3 is a copypaste from the first 2 games as far as shooting goes, and there is little life to the guns in my opinion. They feel much more like air soft guns than realistic guns. All the game really requires you to do shooter wise is hold the trigger down and fire at anything that moves until you run out of ammo, and then you pick up another gun. It is an average shooter with little depth in my whole opinion, but that doesn't stop me from owning a copy myself.

Bioshock had more "originality", but was also fairly shallow. Between the two, I liked Bioshock much better. But not by much. COD:4 I have barely played, but the little I played didn't appeal to me very much.

I think Orange Box was the best shooter package, but the title of Half-Life 2 has been out far longer than this year.

Thats my opinion anyway.

Archived