Home

The XWA One Year Thread III: Revenge of the Sh*t

Ikhnaton

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another pretty slow day at work. Still plugging along with little projects. Good lunch with co-workers.

Ordered a pizza as soon as I got home. Took FOREVER to get here. Over an hour. And the place is less than a 10-minute walk from here. Like maybe a 2 minute drive... if even that!

Should have been free... at least in a perfect world... but I didn't feel like pushing it. At least it was still really hot when it did get here. And it was good, though I only ate 2 slices... Saved the rest for later.

Fell asleep almost as soon as I ate. Woke back up a couple of hours later.

Headin' back now.

RE: Halo day...

Well, the same goes for me! :D

I'm going to try to round up all the guys I work with on Live tomorrow. Halo 3 is the only game we all have in common at the moment, so that will be what we end up playing, most likely. I'll try to get as many of you as I see on at the time in on the action!

Promises to be phun, with a capital PH!

:joy:

Oh... and I like Slayer. Don't listen to them a lot, but I think they have a cool unique sound.

ugh...looks like i'll be without xbox live tomorrow and my day off on monday. damn sub runs out on the 6th and no pay til thursday. unless i risk overdrafting. at least this paycheck is gonna be big with the holiday pay in it. stupid insurance had to bite me in the ass. should've just made them wait for it. i can deal with late fees, overdraft fees are outrageous. got about 3-4 trips to work left as far as gas goes, so no coming home for lunch until wednesday-maybe tuesday. think i'll go on cod4 until it's time for work. nothing else to do. think i'll call capital one and tell them to credit my $15 back into my account and cancel the stupid card that i never recieved. **** them.

well i called them and the chick puts me on hold for a manager. apparently they don't care that i stay on hold for a good 45 minutes. I would've kept on holding but i have to get ready for work. maybe my credit card is in the post office today. i'd be thrilled.

guys i'll be on xbox live tonight, around 11pm thanks to work. I would've been on this afternoon, but i was up til 3:20 am last night, I couldn't get away from call of duty 4. you better pick cod4 up cracken! you will not regret it!!!

I played Guitar Hero III for the first time ever today.

I sucked. Hard.

Just like I knew I would.

However: I did redeem myself somewhat in the eyes of everybody watching by picking up a guitar that was in the room, tuning it, and then playing the songs I just botched in the game ('Slow Ride' and 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot') for real, strictly by ear (I had never played either song before.)

I attempted it on Medium,.. since on Easy the rhythms of the parts in the game simply don't match the riffs in the music,.. and that is what I think was throwing me off more than anything.

This was over my former boss's house. Me and another guy I work with met up with him, had lunch at a nice steak house, went back to his place to see the renovations he has been doing on his house, and hung out a bit.

His daughter talked me into trying Guitar Hero... much to my protests. And I embarrassed myself royally. The other guy I was with is a drummer, and he actually had a much easier time playing what was on the screen than I did.

We stopped on the way home and he actually bought the game for his 360. (I couldn't bring myself to do it.)

(That's my friend we played Halo 3 with that time, Crackles... so if you are looking for someone to play duets with, he's now your guy.)

I might pick it up one of these days... but not right away. Gotta give the ol' bank account a break for a few weeks.

Besides... while I was in the Best Buy with him, I was off drooling over all the High Def. TVs... That HAS to be my next big purchase!

Need to start saving the pennies again for that Panasonic plasma that I couldn't take my eyes off.

Ed, RE: T.V's:

I know they are expensive, but I recommend a Sony XBR4 or a Samsung LNTXX71, where XX=screen size (I.E: A LNT4671 would be a 46 inch 71 series). They have the best refresh rates (120 Mhz) and response times (about 3-5 ms) and the highest contrast ratio's (XBR4=18,000:1 and the Samsung 71 series 25,000:1) on the affordable market at the moment. Your Xbox 360 will look fantastic with the right HDMI cable (Monster Ultra 800 Series or better). Full 1080P HD, absolutley amazing T.V's. Plasma's have glare issues, and can't respond AS FAST as an LCD.

Either Sony or Samsung will be awesome with a game console. I know, Samsung? I wasn't in belief either, but Samsung T.V's are rated right up there with Sony, and Sony FINALLY has some real competition. Don't believe me? Put an XBR4 next to a Samsung 71. It's disturbing.

Yes, the CES is coming up. Yes, the XBR5's and 81 Samsungs are out. No, no human alive can afford those models yet.

My opinion, I personally dislike plasmas, and Sony T.V's. What can I say, Samsung=South Korean=Awesome. Like me, made in Korea. ;)

In other news.... My computers dead. Next major investment will be a Quad Core CPU (Intel) and a new mobo to go with. Ram will be cheap, as I work at BBY, so I can get a crazy discount on them.

GH3: Play Raining Blood by Slayer on Hard or Expert on GH. You'll quickley see what I mean.... It's not... right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnPsPM5Jw8A

Take a look... >.<

I put my Index on Red, middle on wellow, ring on blue, and pinkey on orange, and slide my index up to green and middle to red if necessary becuse those fingers are generally stronger. My pinkey ain't up to toggling between two buttons.

Practice mode helps a ton two. In my quest to beat Raining Blood on Hard, I'm just training my hands for muscle memory for Mosh 1.... the decending notes part..... I have NO idea about the rest of the song though... it looks ugly.

nobody was on live today after all?

work was slow today. stayed over 20 minutes late cause the guy's cd got stuck in the machine and he had to spend about 15 minutes extra burning it. too bad i couldn't accept gratuity. lol

think my xbox live subscription ends tomorrow. :rolleyes: maybe i'll sell my truck.

Sorry... fell asleep shortly after typing that. Never even fired up the Xbox today. Just woke up again a short while ago. Hopefully won't be awake long.

I've always been partial to the colors and image on most plasma screens over the LCD ones... plus the usable viewing angles seem much wider. Which is important in my livingroom, since the TV has to sit at a bit of an angle to be able to be seen from both the couch and the recliner.

The one I was looking at seemed to have an anti-glare, anti-reflective coating on the screen, making it look a LOT nicer on the display than many of the ones around it under the harsh fluorescent direct lighting of the store. Something like that would be necessary in my livingroom, where the sun blasts through the bay window and the glass panel of the front door all through the daylight hours.

As it is, my current big CRT in there gets blasted, and the image is unwatchable on bright afternoons without all the shades drawn... which is now an issue with the cat, since that is now her main window on the world, and she'll raise a fuss if the blinds are shut.

In the cellar it's shady all the time, and I wouldn't need anything near as bright or anti-reflective.

42" is wayyyy too big in either spot. The livingroom spot wouldn't even take a 36" comfortably, since the only spot in the room to put the TV is right in front of the doorway to the kitchen. So the TV I get for there can be a LOT smaller.

Downstairs, size is less of an issue... but it's only about 4 or 5 feet from where the TV is set up, to the couch down there... so a giant one is total overkill. A 36" would probably be OK... but even that seems excessive.

(So right now I'm leaning towards a small plasma for the livingroom, and a slightly larger mid-size LCD for the cellar. I'll take the current livingroom TV and put it up on the top floor outside my bedroom, in my office. That one rarely gets turned on, so high-def isn't even an issue. I'll just ditch the other 2, really old, funky CRTs I have in those other spots. They both look like crap even for standard def anyway.)

But that was all just a quick heat-of-the-moment, "ooh-factor," gear-lust response in the store today. I'll be doing a LOT more research on TVs once I make the commitment to buy, and have a working budget as a jumping-off point.

This is why it takes me weeks, if not months to buy anything. I'm just not a seat of the pants kind of guy when it comes to purchases like this.

I'm thinking that I'll be looking at June (maybe as a b-day gift to myself) for getting the first TV... and next Christmas for the 2nd one, as the windows I'll be working in.

I still have to get a new computer this year (springtime...) and I wanted to have the house sided too.

(Although, now I have the 360, I don't feel like I have to get a killer top-o'-th'-line gaming rig as my main PC anymore. I think I could live with a good, but couple of steps down from the top, middle of the road multimedia machine and be happy. That has brought my budgetary needs for that purchase down quite a bit. I'm actually starting to lean towards a bottom level Intel Mac tower now, since this is most likely going to be an audio/ graphic editing machine more than my main gaming rig.)

I'll be trying to round up everybody I know on Live tomorrow. I'm thinking around 3-ish as the window of opportunity. I have a few things to tackle in the morning (if I ever get back to sleep now, that is...) but the afternoon/ evening is set aside as "Game-Time."

Look for an invite then.

looks like i'll take a chance and buy another 3 month xbl card tonight, i'll bring in a check to set up direct deposit so i have money in there by wednesday night...it takes roughly 3 days for 'credit' transactions to clear. i don't really feel like going a day off without xbox live. I also need to put in about $10 worth of gas to at least get me to work til payday. lol my sub to xbl ended, because i can't connect. :( i got about 90 minutes before i'm at work. i'm off tomorrow so if i go and get the 3 month xbl card tonight, i'll be on for some time. :) probably call of duty 4, but if i see you guys on halo 3 i'll join up w/yas.

sounds good. i'm havin chili for lunch. good stuff. I have to remember that on tuesday, i work 8-5. i hate that shift. i'm rarely up before 8am anymore, though i have more of a reason to now that the temperature is warming up, i can get back to running.

cracken, do you have Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare yet???

I found ONE flaw with the game. You cannot split-screen with it on xbox live like you can with halo 3 and graw 2.

i'll be on after 9pm. got the 3 month subby at walmart. gonna activate it right now, as i'm on my lunch. hmm had to do gamertag recovery. hopefully it works. it better.

edit: gamertag recovery is a pain. it takes so damn long. wish i would've bought the 3 month thing sooner. it's saying that 'xbox live signup is UNAVAILABLE at this time' just the thing to piss me off.

Played a little multi-player Halo with Crack and a couple of other guys I know. I sucked. Badly. But then I knew I would at first.

Kept getting bumped out of the game for some reason, though. I'd start the game, the screen would come up, and then: "Game Over!"

Then I had to wait for everybody else to finish the game.

I have no idea what was going on... but it was really pissing me off! :mad:

Gave up on Halo after a few tries of that.

Played some co-op Ace Combat with a friend. That was sick. Tough mission they give you to play.

Good practice though. No hope of us bringing down 8 capital ships with just the 2 of us in a 10 minute time limit.

Oh well... give myself a break for a few minutes, then maybe I'll try something else.

Archived