Home

HUGE PROBLEM

I' m having a hige problem with my PC.

Upon startup the screen is pink, green and pretty much every colour under the sun...

It's VERY hard to read anything and the problem will not go away.

We thought we'd sorted it months ago but it's back.

When we log on it says our ATI graphics accelerator is not responding and has been reset or something...

Any advice?

yes, monitors do that when they arent getting any input.

Have you tinkered with any setting recently?

I had this ages ago, funnily enough, my gfx card had become slightly dislodged in its slot from when I had to move the vase around a bit :p

give safe mode a go > check your drivers > even roll back to an older version to double check.

In XP and vista >pressing F8 does give you a list of options for various safe modes, with networking, command prompt etc.

As Im a finicky type, Id even plug it in on a different monitor(if possible) to fully rule out that its actually the PC thats playing up :)

good luck - let us know of your progress.

mtfbwya

PS-I did find it mildly amusing that "dingdong" is having a huge problem!! Thats exactly the whammy noise that plays in my head, whenever I come across a huge pc problem! lolz..

We thought we'd sorted it months ago but it's back.
What have you done back then to fix it? Maybe you should do just the same again? :p

When you have those colour effects already during the boot screen it is highly unlikely that there is something with the drivers/settings or that safe mode will fix it.

So, first off - check cables. By check I don't mean throw a quick look, check with your hands. Check also on the monitor side, maybe the cable is correctly plugged in on the PC side, but not into the monitor.

Next step - if possible, check that monitor on another computer, or check another monitor on that computer (try to use a different cable too).

Not exactly sure what I did last time...

But still no luck...

I'll try checking all the cables.

It won't even let me start in Normal Mode any more.

If I try it just restarts the system...

@Astro:

In a minute it'll be less DingDong and more BangBang, as i'm seriously considering taking a hammer to this accursed machine...

did you try re-seat the gfx card (ignore if you have integrated gfx!)

as per before > have you done anything different/new installs etc recently??

its times like this Im glad I made a full system backup using acronis > love that proggie

mtfbwya

People do some crazy **** with computers. What starts out as just plugging a fan cable in turns into purchasing a new motherboard.

thank you sithy. Also, nothing is as annoying as an install from the ground up. If you spend alot of time tweaking, its a royal pain to do that again after a reformat following some bungle that has happenned(whether its a bad OS or a bad human that was responsible!)

Unlike Ray, I do not have laser beams that shoot from my eyes that allow me to purvey all that has/can or will transpire betwixt those myriad circuits and 10010101s :)

mtfbwya

Yes, but as you've said in the other thread new hardware can boink your OS backup so it might be useless in the end (except for the data/files). And a new motherboard (for instance) means enough new hardware, causing you most probably to end up in a reinstall session anyway. Whereas a new monitor or graphics card usually does not require a "reformat" or lasers shooting from the eyes X)

However, to have a good backup strategy at hand can never be wrong or unnecessary. :)

No idea...

I just turned the PC on, let it restart itself aroubd 5000 times and when I came back it was fine!

\o/ Another mystery solved [/not]

anyway, hope it keeps working for you. And if you have important files/proggies etc... plz back them up... doesnt need a swanky backup proggie, even just a usb stick or a few blank discs.

mtfbwya

One word...

BUGGER!

It's happened again! :( :(

Looks like it's off to PCWorld!

bugger indeed! :( it will be interesting to hear the diagnosis of these vaunted professionals.. Id really recommend you slowly start learning as much about this stuff as you can be bothered - you'll save yourself a wad of cash in future!!

There are only 3 things need to be a good PC builder/fixer

1. The ability to read. eg. parts research, reviews, tech forums/sites

2. Lego construction skills. Opening up a pc shouldnt be scary. No soldering reqd.

3. Patience. Try your best to be logical. Use a process of elimination to rule out different possible causes. Dont do the most drastic stuff first(reformat etc), before youve had a tinker on other options

one final tip: if you are getting flustered/frustrated....walk away, do something else, sleep on it etc. Its hard to do anything effective or logically without a clear mind ;)

mtfbwya

Archived