Home

May '08 topic: What would you be willing to sacrifice, and why?

One day Jedi Knight Watson McAwesomesauce woke up and thought to himself "Man, it would awesome if I won something for doing little to no work aside from signing up. I'd even sacrifice like fifteen minutes to do it because it would make me happy!" And the idea made him happy.

Very happy.

And so he did. And he waited eagerly for the results, hoping to win against people who actually worked for a reward. And then he told himself and others that it was a social experiment so as to not look like a total jerk.

Can we make the deadline tomorrow please? o_Q

If you look into my thread you'll notice how Writer edited his "Let's see what happens" post before the contest ended to disqualify me.

EDIT (4/26/08): Favorable mood be damned! You have put absolutely zero effort into your 'entry' in a contest that others try to take seriously. I may have been amused the third time I read it, but this little 'social experiment' of yours has gone on long enough and received far more votes than it's worth. Jae left the decision to me, so here it is.

You are disqualified from this month's contest. Sorry to keep you waiting until the last day, but this is my decision.

One day Jedi Knight Watson McAwesomesauce woke up and thought to himself "Man, it would awesome if I won something for doing little to no work aside from signing up. I'd even sacrifice like fifteen minutes to do it because it would make me happy!" And the idea made him happy.

Very happy.

And so he did. And he waited eagerly for the results, hoping to win against people who actually worked for a reward. And then he told himself and others that it was a social experiment so as to not look like a total jerk.

Can we make the deadline tomorrow please? o_Q

Now, that's a winner! :lol:

All right, let me be clear now--no more bogus entries like Hall's last month. Some people thought it was entirely disrespectful to the other people who worked on writing something useful for the contest. You would not believe the storm of controversy it caused--I have people not talking to each other now because they disagreed on how this should have been handled, and I never want to go through that experience again.

You actually have to put some real effort into the story. No more 'social experiements'. I'll outright delete future 'stories' like that and they'll never make it to the contest to begin with. Humor is acceptable within the context of the story or topic, of course.

Bee, when would you like the due date to be?

All right, let me be clear now--no more bogus entries like Hall's last month. Some people thought it was entirely disrespectful to the other people who worked on writing something useful for the contest. You would not believe the storm of controversy it caused--I have people not talking to each other now because they disagreed on how this should have been handled, and I never want to go through that experience again.

You actually have to put some real effort into the story. No more 'social experiements'. I'll outright delete future 'stories' like that and they'll never make it to the contest to begin with. Humor is acceptable within the context of the story or topic, of course.

You're right, I wouldn't believe that people can be insulted over something like that. Admittedly, most people wouldn't consider Hall's entry to be much of a story, but those two to three sentences that made his entry did fit the topic - "The Little Things that Make Us Happy". And judging by the number of votes he got, his story made a lot of people happy - "laughing their rear ends off" happy. I can understand that other people who submitted an entry don't find Hall's entry funny, for the reason you mentioned above, but I bet they'd laugh just like the rest of us, if they weren't in the competition. One question comes to mind - what is considered a bogus entry? Is it an entry as short as Hall's, or an entry that doesn't seem like a fic? I'm asking because, as you might know when someone decides to post his/her first fic, in 90% of the cases they have absolutely no experience in writing a story, so that story ends up having extremely short chapters, but it is still considered a fan fiction, regardless of the quality. I know my first fic was like that and I know there are lots of other fics just like that right now in the CEC. If you are really bent on banning fics based on their length/quality, then in all fairness you should do the same to the regular CEC entries.

I will not speak of this matter again, since I don't want to start a fight over something as trivial as this.

As for the topic of this thread, I can't promise an entry as a lot of my time is consumed by my studies, but I will keep an eye on the other entries. :)

Bee, when would you like the due date to be?
Usually it's two weeks from the new topic being posted right? That would be fine with me:)

^^ Odd, I actually used to be more long-winded than I am now :xp: I believe that it was not the length but rather the entire nature of the fic which didn't sit well. While it was very funny, I guess it's kinda 'ouch' for those who do actually put in effort and try to write good pieces.

Archived