Home

New Problem

TriggerGod

I need some new help. I actually have a few problems. (First Post of Holowan for the upgrade! :emodanc: )

1) I'm gonna be editing a module, and when I extract the file (301NAR) it says there is a map supported for it, but I want to know where it is.

2) How do I make a custom .utc? I need to do that.

2.5) How do I place the custom NPC into a module?

3) I want to make a custom weapon, and place it in a module.

4) I want to make a new module, and I need to know:

4.1) How to design it

4.2) How to set a trigger to send you to that module

4.3) How to set NPC's in that module.

1) I'm gonna be editing a module, and when I extract the file (301NAR) it says there is a map supported for it, but I want to know where it is.

As in, when you extract it for the Kotor Tool? Indeed there is a supported .map file, you can find them here: http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/ - in the downloads section.

2) How do I make a custom .utc? I need to do that.

You copy an existing .utc file and change the name and the settings I believe.

2.5) How do I place the custom NPC into a module?

You add them to the on_enter script for the module - what I did was to decompile the original script and then add the line to it, but apparently that's bad modding practice, I believe what you do is extract the on_enter script for the module you want and make a new script along the lines of this (thank Darth333 for this, its from her tutorial):

How to spawn a npc in an area:

It works exactly the same as a container:

1. extract the On_enter script for the module. Check the .are file if you are unsure. Per example, when you enter the bar in NAr Shadaa, the script would be: a_306onenter.ncs

2. rename the script you just extracted to something else: exmaple old__a_306onenter.ncs

3. Create a new script:

void main()
{
 object oEntering = GetEnteringObject();
 object oPC=GetFirstPC();
 if (GetIsPC(oEntering))
     {
     //check if the object is already there to avoid multiple objects
     if  (!GetIsObjectValid(GetObjectByTag("o")))
           {
         //Note that the script uses OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE instead of OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE - that's the only difference with the container:
         CreateObject(OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE, "my_npc_templateresref", Location(Vector(43.41,-0.28,9.66), 0.0));

// this portion is optional and will only work if you spawn the npc not too far from where you enter the area - careful if there are scripted cutscenes too.
  // You can also use the On perception event instead of the on enter script for this.
         NoClicksFor(0.5);
  //Make the NPC walk towards you:
         AssignCommand((GetObjectByTag("my_npc_tag")),ActionMoveToObject(oPC));
  //Make the npc initiate the converstation after approcahing you:
         AssignCommand ((GetObjectByTag("my_npc_tag")), ActionDoCommand(ActionStartConversation(oPC)));
           }

ExecuteScript("old_a_306onenter", OBJECT_SELF); 	
    }

}

3) I want to make a custom weapon, and place it in a module.

Making a custom weapon is no easy feat. Look here for modelling and skinning tutorials: http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595.

4) I want to make a new module, and I need to know:

4.1) How to design it

4.2) How to set a trigger to send you to that module

4.3) How to set NPC's in that module.

You mean...an entirely new module? Well...sithspecter is going to release a tutorial on how to create new modules. It is not an easy task, and I would get well acquainted with Gmax (free) or 3DSMax ($$$) before attempting it.

If you want to reskin an existing module, then look at this tutorial - http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=175101.

A quick note: All of this information is publicly available in the Tutorial section, and it took me about 30 seconds to type it all in. In future, go there before asking questions like these and then come back if you have specific queries or problems.

Making a custom weapon is no easy feat. Look here for modelling and skinning tutorials:

I worded it wrong :(

I meant making a custom item like... a custom lightsaber (Like Puck's Jolee Bindo's Saber mod) or a sword. Using the same model, but making a custom item (in game example; <FullName> Armband, Vao Armband..)

You mean...an entirely new module? Well...sithspecter is going to release a tutorial on how to create new modules. It is not an easy task, and I would get well acquainted with Gmax (free) or 3DSMax ($$$) before attempting it.

Stupid wording :giveup:

I meant taking one module, and placing a copy of it somewhere else...

If you need a mod example, I mean some thing like the Slums of Telos mod

I meant making a custom item like... a custom lightsaber (Like Puck's Jolee Bindo's Saber mod) or a sword. Using the same model, but making a custom item (in game

Then I believe you want this tutorial: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143789 which deals with changing the properties of items.

I meant taking one module, and placing a copy of it somewhere else...

Then look at DDD's (Marius Fett's) tutorial.

• 2 weeks later...

MAJOR ISSUE!

I installed some mods and then a patcher. Now I can't even get the game started. It appears with a message saying:

Wrong disc inserted.

Someone please help.

[PRIME edit]Please start a seperate thread in the help section for issues you are having. Don't hijack someone else's thread.

You add them to the on_enter script for the module - what I did was to decompile the original script and then add the line to it, but apparently that's bad modding practice, I believe what you do is extract the on_enter script for the module you want and make a new script along the lines of this (thank Darth333 for this, its from her tutorial):

How to spawn a npc in an area:[/Quote]

OR, you could play around with the .GIT file in K-GFF and create a new NPC that is supposed to be there without the creation of scripts...

Unless, of course, TSL doesn't use .GIT's anymore... (Who knows, I hardly use the game anymore!)

OR, you could play around with the .GIT file in K-GFF and create a new NPC that is supposed to be there without the creation of scripts...

Unless, of course, TSL doesn't use .GIT's anymore... (Who knows, I hardly use the game anymore!)

However, this is not the way you want to do it.

If you change the *.git, you have to then extract the entire module, add your custom *.git file, then repack the module and place it in the modules folder instead of override. This causes people (when they download your mod) to overwrite their existing modules (we all know they won't make backups) and then have major problems when they eliminate the rest of your mod from their override but have to reinstall the game to get their modules back.

Scripting is faster, easier, and less worrisome for the end user. It's the way to go.

_EW_

This is quite offtopic, but the answer is a resounding 'No.'

FWIW, I only read them sometimes anymore. I pretty much know what to do with the files, and if I read the KotorFiles review, it's usually enough.

But that's because I've been around the block a few times.

_EW_

If you change the *.git, you have to then extract the entire module, add your custom *.git file, then repack the module and place it in the modules folder instead of override.

You should also be able to use a mod installer to update the GIT file inside the MOD or RIM file for the module in question. Then the module would not have to be repacked, and would be compatible with other mods that modify the GIT file as well (unless they modify the exact same thing).

Scripts are generally easier to manage, but they need to be run from something, and there is not always any available event hooks that can be used without having to modify or substitute an existing script. Scripts are also one of the hardest things to fix compatibility between several mods modifying the same file, so I tend to avoid modifying standard game scripts if at all possible.

You should also be able to use a mod installer to update the GIT file inside the MOD or RIM file for the module in question. Then the module would not have to be repacked, and would be compatible with other mods that modify the GIT file as well (unless they modify the exact same thing).

Scripts are generally easier to manage, but they need to be run from something, and there is not always any available event hooks that can be used without having to modify or substitute an existing script. Scripts are also one of the hardest things to fix compatibility between several mods modifying the same file, so I tend to avoid modifying standard game scripts if at all possible.

Stoffe's patcher to the rescue! I was unaware that there was a mod patching function in your patcher, (I've only used it twice) so thanks, Stoffe.

And it is true that it's hard to fix compatibility issues between scripts.

_EW_

Archived