Home

Investing in Solar and Wind... or Drilling for Oil?

Darth_Yuthura

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ever wonder why we haven't figured out how to run our cars on something else besides fossil fuels? The thing is, we have. For a while.

Hydrogen Powered:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EUm3eqyHE

Further info:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8stApCmxYEM

Air Powered:

Well, the there are several things that pop-uo into my head. One, they are too expensive for everyone. I will explain a little bit more of that later on in my post. Second, there is the factor of it being unpractical.

Unpractical-- I have a large family myself (currently 6 people) and something that small is unpractical for large families. I really don't think that there is much more to say other than this.

Expensive-- As I said, it is unpractical, for large families. Lets assume that my family members are all of legal driving age and each get one of these vehicles lets say for $15,000. That is $90,000 just right there! Way too expensive. I wish that they were much less. :/

--

One of my more recent teachers told us that he thinks that the hydrogen engine is already been made. But the companies have paid them off...

Expensive

I believe the video was made some where around the 80s. I'm pretty sure if more research went into it, it could be done much cheaper.

One of my more recent teachers told us that he thinks that the hydrogen engine is already been made. But the companies have been paid-off...

Clearly it has been made as the video shows it. I heard somewhere however that the man in the video died. I'll have to look into that more though.

I believe the video was made some where around the 80s. I'm pretty sure if more research went into it, it could be done much cheaper.

True, but it will most likely still be expensive. :/

Clearly it has been made as the video shows it. I heard somewhere however that the man in the video died. I'll have to look into that more though.

Yes this is true, but why don't the majority of people have one?

Yes this is true, but why don't the majority of people have one?

The Oil Companies would go out of business, which is also bad for the government. There is no way they would allow it to happen unless they could profit from it.

The Oil Companies would go out of business, which is also bad for the government. There is no way they would allow it to happen unless they could profit from it.
Pfft, it's bad for the oil companies. And anyways, I'd rather have the government go through some tough times times than **** up the planet beyond the point of it being livable.

That is exactly my point. ;)

"One of my more recent teachers told us that he thinks that the hydrogen engine is already been made. But the companies have paid them off..."

That is what I meant in my original post. Sorry!

Solar thermal chimneys are rarely known, but they may be the best means of builind solar thermal plants on a huge scale. They even could generate power at night because the ground would retain a significant amount of heat. Solar thermal chimneys are quite simple: a 2000 foot chimney in the center of an area covered by a canopy would produce a wind current through the chimney.
I'm not sure if it's a good idea to create constant air streams and stir up winds which are not there naturally.

Actually, I am pretty sure it is a bad idea.

To use the alternative energies at big scale levels, they'd have to be provided constantly and with secured supply. As of now this is not possible, or has not been done due to massive costs. I mean, why produce a huge amount of alternative energy, when almost no one has a car or whatever to use this energy? Many people still want big strong cars, and while they are obviously willing to pay tons of money for big cars and the gas they need, they are obviously not willing to invest that money in alternative methods to drive a car just because it cannot reach a top speed of X in 4 seconds like the a gas driven car.

The only way to handle peoples stupidity is to make the old technology so expensive that it makes the new technology interesting to the common human being, despite all its "drawbacks", which is what we see happen today.

Actually, oil companies are not so foolish as to limit their options. Oil companies are not about producing oil and supplying a nice demand. Oil companies are about producing profit. They will sell whatever turns the most profit for them. If solar energy provides bigger revenues than oil, they'll do it. There are several oil companies that are investing in wind power because putting up wind farms generates them more money then drilling, processing and shipping oil products.

So yes, nothing will happen until oil companies feel there is more profit in non-oil-based tech than oil. However, with the rising cost of oil, non-oil-tech is starting to look better every day.

Actually, oil companies are not so foolish as to limit their options. Oil companies are not about producing oil and supplying a nice demand. Oil companies are about producing profit. They will sell whatever turns the most profit for them.

Of course, but I don't believe that Oil Companies could profit as much from Water or Air as they can from Oil. :lol:

when almost no one has a car or whatever to use this energy?

Actually, I read that the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engines could easily be retrofitted to your car. It wouldn't be a new car you need, but new "organs" if-you-will.

Of course, but I don't believe that Oil Companies could profit as much from Water or Air as they can from Oil. :lol:

depends, oil/gas power facilities need to be constantly fed fuel, wind and solar do not. While there is a higher one-time cost to build the thing, there is an overall lower cost of not needing to operate drilling, refining, and shipping facilities to feed it oil.

Yes, but it would still cost much money, often almost more than the car's actual value. "Retro-fitting" basically means you keep the old stuff and add the new stuff, which means more weight, thus a loss in power and range.

Not so much as keeping everything old. You're pretty much just taking out everything that the car doesn't need with the hydrogen fuel cell (example: Engine, new battery, etc.).

depends, oil/gas power facilities need to be constantly fed fuel, wind and solar do not. While there is a higher one-time cost to build the thing, there is an overall lower cost of not needing to operate drilling, refining, and shipping facilities to feed it oil.

So what you're saying is that other facilities will still need oil?

So what you're saying is that other facilities will still need oil?

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but I don't quite grasp your question...

Will "other facilities", such as solar and wind need oil? Well, technically, yes they will, though it will be in much smaller qualities and due to being rather small and refined parts, synthetic oil could probably be used. The difference between an oil power plant and a solar one would be like the difference between how often you change you oil in your car vs how often you fill the tank. And in the amounts used.

You put tens of gallons in your tank on a bi-weekly basis, you put a few quarts in your engine on a bi-annual basis.

Perhaps I am reading you wrong, but I don't quite grasp your question....

Maybe we're reading eachother's wrong.

I was asking if that's what you were saying since I didn't get your point in your previous post.

Maybe we're reading eachother's wrong.

I was asking if that's what you were saying since I didn't get your point in your previous post.

no, I was saying that solar and wind would be more profitable because they would allow the elimination of the support structures that go with an oil-based plant.

Actually, I read that the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Engines could easily be retrofitted to your car. It wouldn't be a new car you need, but new "organs" if-you-will.

The question is, why isn't anyone using them?

I have another power source... electricity. The only catch is that it would be used for mass transit more than anything. NY is the best example of this. Large power plants are more efficient than smaller ones... so use a universal power source for an entire grid of electric trains.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to create constant air streams and stir up winds which are not there naturally.

Actually, I am pretty sure it is a bad idea.

The wind current is simply directed to a single location... it's nothing more than hot air, which is lighter than cooler air. It doesn't make a difference to wind currents. Hot air always rises above cooler air.

Archived