Home

Worst Games Ever.

Da_man

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Temple of Elemental Evil... its an Atari DnD game... worst implemented game ever. I think they were trying to pull off an advanced Icewind Dale 2 clone, or perhaps Baldurs Gate.. and failed miserably.

Not even close. It was made by Troika Games. I supposed you have never played the PnP original D&D module. It is the most faithful representation of the then current pen-and-paper ("3.5e") rules.

Hint: Get the Circle of 8 fixpack.

The Temple of Elemental Evil PnP

cRPG version

Next came Temple of Elemental Evil. In theory, the game could have/should have been a runaway blockbuster hit. Unfortunately, the project was thoroughly sabotaged by the inbred mongoloid idiots at Atari. As originally negotiated, the game was supposed to ship in March of 2004. There were also no content restrictions so Troika was going all out without a worry for rating. When the Atari risk assessment people were shown the game, being the evil idiots they are, decided to exercise a clause in the contract (Atari, fyi, had exclusive rights to DnD at the time) that could have taken the game away from Troika completely and turned it over to another developer, which would have been disastrous for Troika. To prevent this from happening, Troika complied with a list of demands to move up the release date by SIX MONTHS and cut content to ensure a Teen rating (which both cuts development costs and ensures a larger market - according to Atari). Add to that Atari's legendarily non-existent quality assurance and you have a recipe for failure. The game lost the multiplayer component (the network code was licensed and dropping it cut both costs and time), and had a large amount of content dropped or half-finished (in many cases breaking quests and making the game impossible to finish if you were a very thorough kind of gamer) - not to mention other bugs that would never be finished, since Atari would not approve any funds for TOEE patches OR for testing of patches made by the developers pro-bono (ie, Atari was sent patches for FREE, which they never tested or released). They also sent the wrong version of the game to duplicator (they had two newer builds which they flat-out ignored). In the end, Atari decided the game didn't sell well enough and didn't live up to their "expectation of quality" and refused to deliver due royalties... even though they were single-handedly responsible for the game's retail state.

I should add that Atari was/is NOTORIOUS for this kind of behavior... but if you wanted to make a DnD game to put yourself back on the map, it was Atari or bust because they held the license.

.... What? :hor: Was it the first game you ever played?

Woah, I had no idea LF has the :hor: smiliy. I love that one.

Also, worst game I ever playes was this:

xml.jpg

I don't get why it was so well recieved. My controls were shotty as hell and confusing, the graphics we pretty pixily, and I bought the game brand new!

... Inside Source quote about TOEE...

Wow. A lesson all the future programmers aspiring to work for gaming compaines... that's a harsh industry. You get a potentially lucrative contract, start believing that this is the killer game you knew you could make, but then the distributor/licensor shoots down your dream, makes you compromise more than you intend, withholds your royalties, and your game ends up listed in a "Worst Games Ever" thread. :(

Wow. A lesson all the future programmers aspiring to work for gaming compaines... that's a harsh industry. You get a potentially lucrative contract, start believing that this is the killer game you knew you could make, but then the distributor/licensor shoots down your dream, makes you compromise more than you intend, withholds your royalties, and your game ends up listed in a "Worst Games Ever" thread. :(

Yeah...that has to totally suck. Getting your life's work bashed by complete strangers over the 'net.

Archived