Home

Would XP Run On This Machine?

Marius Fett

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick caveat about warranty...if its a recent laptop and still under warranty, many manufacturers will view you changing the OS as a violation of warranty. ie they want you to take it into a service centre to get done, so if something goes wrong afterwards, you are still supported.

As Rhettski, said, check HP site for the list of supported OS and their drivers.

I understand people wanting to have a dual boot to XP for compatibility issues, but a full roll back is cutting you off from running apps that are/will be vista specific.. This is even more a concern if HP never actually issued you with an original OS disc

good luck!

mtfbwya

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Dual-booting not really an option for me i'm afraid.

This laptop has the smallest HDD EVER!

Only 80 gigs!

People run XP installs off 8GB SD or CFlash cards. A full vista system install is a space hog. I need 20GB for a vista ultimate install. :(

It all really depends on what you need the space for. Large HDDs are so cheap that people buy them without thought of how much they actually need. I record digital and satellite HDTV at about 3-5GB/hour.(depending on rez of broadcast) If you dont do anything like that, youd be suprised how far 80GB will take you!!

mtfbwya

^Out of the 80 GB actual size, only 67.4 GB can actually be used.

Vista takes up around 5 GB, so I really only have around 63 gigs to use.

After I get KotOR, the Jedi Knight games, and EaW installed I have even less space left.

Plus I have alot of other apps, (KotOR modding tools take up quite a large amount of space when you have alot of them.) Photoshop and 3DS Max take up quite a lot and so do all the other programs I have installed if you look at them altogther.

Right now, I have 14 GB free, and that's only because I uninstalled Battlefront and Republic Commando.

I'm also the type of guy that has WAY too many files and folders etc.

_____

The fact that it takes up less space is actually part of the reason I want XP back.

fair enough. HDDs are pretty darn cheap, and getting cheaper as SSDs start taking over.

If you do have a lot of junk, I'd think about either a couple of drives, or some partitions to keep general files and folders of 'stuff' away from your system disk/partition. Theres nothing worse than important files 'going down with the ship' when your OS disk/partition decides to chuck a wobbly ;) I myself am currently in the process of digitally archiving every single CD/DVD etc I have, and then I will get rid of most of the CDs/DVDs themselves via ebay or donating to a local library. Im sick of them all junking up my place. Out they go! I have 4TB(1TB each across 4 rigs) to spread them around on, so I think Im set for storage for a whiles yet !

mtfbwya

Archived