Home

Voter Fraud In Swing States

GarfieldJL

Article - Obama's General Counsel Asks Special Prosecutor to Investigate McCain Campaign's Claims of Voter Fraud

Robert Bauer, general counsel for Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign, sent a letter to Attorney General Michael Mukasey requesting that special prosecutor Nora Dannehy add recent allegations of partisan misconduct within the Justice Department to her investigation of criminal offenses stemming from the 2006 U.S. Attorney firings.

In his letter, Bauer, a partner in Perkins Coie's Washington office, alleges that Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign and the Republican Party made false claims of voting fraud as part of a Republican effort to influence the presidential election. The letter accuses Republican officeholders of calling on the Justice Department to investigate allegations of fraud, and Justice Department officials of spurring what he called "baseless" investigations.

“History is repeating itself. As Election Day approaches — just as in 2004 and 2006 — Republican Party officials and operatives nationwide, including the candidates themselves, are fomenting specious vote fraud allegations, and there are disturbing indications of official involvement or collusion,” Bauer writes.

Bauer says a McCain assertion during Wednesday’s presidential debate -- that voter fraud threatened “the fabric of democracy” -- is an example of a false claim.

Bauer is wrong. Voter fraud does threaten the integrity of our election process.

In a teleconference call today, Bauer said the McCain campaign’s claims of voter fraud put unnecessary pressure on the Justice Department to investigate unsubstantiated allegations and that two officials within the department had anonymously leaked information about fraud investigations to the media.
Untrue. We need to make sure our election process is safe from fraud; thus, allowing the American citizen to execute a more credible and secure process. More pressure on the Justice Department will get things moving. We can't let this fall to the side.

Not to mention the voting fraud claims were proven to be true.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Voter fraud does threaten the integrity of our election process.[/Quote] It certainly does. Just as it has in the last two elections.

We need to make sure our election process is safe from fraud; thus, allowing the American citizen to execute a more credible and secure process. More pressure on the Justice Department will get things moving. We can't let this fall to the side.[/Quote] Agree, but seeing how they have not jump on vote counting errors like the Volusia error from 2000. I would not count on it.

Not to mention the voting fraud claims were proven to be true.

When? Not in this election process.

It certainly does. Just as it has in the last two elections.

Where have you been? Voter fraud isn't new. It isn't a 12 year old event. It's been a problem since before Kennedy(at least). It has been noticed more as of late, but the problem goes back a long way. Unless of course the dead keep rising from their graves to vote... then we got a bigger problem to deal with... :eek:

*pulls out handbook on fighting undead*

Where have you been? Voter fraud isn't new.
It makes a bigger difference when the country is so divided and the vote is so close. Oh and it is not just the dead voting that is the problem. It is also those that never even show up to the polls and those that actually somehow come back to the polls and take away their votes after voting. Someone explain to me how you can get negative votes.

Where have you been? Voter fraud isn't new. It isn't a 12 year old event. It's been a problem since before Kennedy(at least). It has been noticed more as of late, but the problem goes back a long way. Unless of course the dead keep rising from their graves to vote... then we got a bigger problem to deal with... :eek:

*pulls out handbook on fighting undead*

Hey, Chicago has a great history of registering the dead in order to vote early and often. :lol:

Voter fraud doesn't happen until the actual election, of course, but can anyone tell me what the point is for voter registration fraud, if not to be able to commit voter fraud later on? I don't think ACORN's planning on turning them into Christmas cards. :) We can split hairs all we want on voter registration fraud vs. voter fraud, and they are different, but the end result is still voter fraud if any of those false registrations are used for voting.

We have 49 people (and counting) in WI having little chats with authorities now because they've allegedly committed voter registration fraud, and the concern here is that those false registrations will be used by people associated with ACORN and even Obama staff to vote for Obama now. It's a very serious issue here because WI is one of the swing states. The fact that these 49 people are from ACORN (and a related group) and Obama has been associated with ACORN does not help Obama at all, even though there's no evidence Obama committed any kind of fraud and Obama has in fact denounced voter registration/voter fraud.

I think I mentioned in another thread that the issue isn't if Obama's complicit in Acorn's voter registration fraud problems, the issue is 'what happens if the vote is very close in swing states'. If it is close, those states where ACORN has been very active or where there are a lot of allegations of registration fraud are going to be mired in lawsuits and investigations for months, and we surely do not need another repeat of 2000.

The voter registration fraud happens because the people ACORN hires to register voters don't want to do any actual work, so they just fill out of a bunch of cards and turn them in to get their wages.

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2008/acorn_accusations.html

Can you guarantee that none of those fraudulent registrations are going to get used for voter fraud?

I understand that it's likely to be nothing more than a bunch of people who registered fake people to get paid, but the integrity of the entire process is still in question. If we had a good way to find and remove all the fake registrations, no problem, other than for the people who violated the law for filing these false registrations. However, we don't, and we don't know how many fake registrations are going to be used, and if it will have an effect on the election. Achilles' source says this: "even when fraudulent voter registration forms are submitted, they virtually never lead to fraudulent votes being cast."

"Virtually never" is not the same as "never". Nor is there a credible source quoted saying how many fraud votes have indeed been made. The truth is we have no idea how many fraudulent votes have been cast in the past, and we might not know how many, if any, are fraudulent this time, either. The goal, however, should still be ZERO fraud, and brushing this off as no big deal because these people just wanted to make some money filling out forms is irresponsible. It is a huge concern in my state because of the sheer numbers of people found filing fraudulent registrations--not just in ACORN but in at least one other organization, too. We have 49 people who filed thousands of false registrations here in WI (and if you prefer a more liberal source, check out the Milwaukee Sentinel-Journal), and no one knows what's going to happen with those registrations. Once someone is listed as registered in WI, they don't have to show any ID to vote, so we aren't going to be able to catch those committing voter fraud at the polls. WI won't even cross-check addresses on voter registrations against drivers' licenses because "it would be too difficult to do that with the database we have".

People here can blithely write it off as right-wing hysterics, but in my state, I can no longer count on voter integrity because of some groups taking horrible advantage of a badly broken system in WI. Voter fraud works both ways--ACORN may be the most highlighted group right now, but what if some Republican groups are doing the same thing, just much more quietly? I want as many legitimate people as possible to get registered to vote and then go to the polls to get their voices heard. I do not, however, want my vote negated by some slimeball manipulating the system, and there's a very real concern about that happening in my state.

I wonder how many people would change their tunes if it was a Republican group caught doing this. Actually I'm sure there are Republicans doing this. The scary part is we really have no idea how bad the problem is.

The Republican's have been caught doing it. (see link above) Why do you think McCain and Palin have suddenly gone silent on these charges? YPM or Lincoln Strategy

Not saying two wrongs makes a right, but both sides are involved.

Oh, even better--hundreds of ballots that were supposed to have been mailed to voters in Racine, WI did not make it to those voters. No one knows where those ballots are--if they've been stolen, if they're still sitting on someone's desk somewhere, or what. New ones were sent out with instructions to destroy the new one if the person already sent in the old one. Of course, even though the ballots are numbered, there's no way to know if the first ballot or the second one is actually the correct ballot....I'm so disgusted with all the voting problems and outright fraud.

Archived