Home

Good and Bad about Game

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
KotOR was a game I really liked but, it lacked one of the most important features of a RPG - respawning enemies, Mass Effect made the same mistake.

The problem is that KotOR isn't a combat oriented game. To be honest, the combat is so mechanical and slow that it wouldn't even be fun. On any case, travel some time on Tatooine's sandsea and you'll be amushed a few times by the Sand People.

Yeah, I understand why enemies do not respawn in KotOR, it's not a hack-'n-slash game but, in Mass Effect it was a real downset for many RPG fans looking for something new and different. I reached the end of the game within two days after which there is not anything left to do except a few side quests, no RPG lasts for just two days.

Call me a hater...

OK, you're a hater!:xp:

...but I never really liked the Kotor games.....

Hey, to each his/her own! I personally found KotOR one of the best of LA's offerings, closely followed by TFU, all simply based upon originality.

Am I the only one who thinks that TFU has a number of glaring plot/lore holes in it?

I mean its a well fun game if a bit on the short side. But the story it tells totally does not fit into the Star Wars Universe.

One Senator Organa never joins the rebellion. Or at least he doesnt openly. He serves in the Imperial Senate until it is dissolved and then dies when Alderaan is blown up.

And quite clearly at the end of this game the

Emperor captures Starkiller and the other Rebel Leaders so he would have to know Senator Organa's involvement (and his daughters too) and would have to have them both executed.

Two

apparently you can let Kota die and murder Vader whereupon the Emperor pwns you and you basically replace Vader as his apprentice. This very thing totally retcons the rest of Star Wars with the whole "Luke I am your Father!" thing...

Three on the return to Fellucia

why does that stupid Jedi woman fall? And doesnt it strike anyone as extremely stupid that she managed to take the WHOLE PLANET with her when she did? If she is that bloody powerful she can take an entire world of force sensitives with her into the Dark Side then how come she didnt pwn you?

Thats all I can think of at the moment but im sure there are more holes.

Also did anyone else feel like the whole Starkiller/Juno thing was a little tacked on? It just struck me as a little... unrealistic.

For number 2, that ending is a no-canon ending, its not the real one, so therefore that one doesn't count.

Can't exlpain the other two though

This is the problem with Game Developers these days; ones that take over a Franchise or Game Series from another Developer.

They almost always never properly research the lore and story and so there always ends up being a number of gaping plot holes that can actually ruin a game.

This is the problem with Game Developers these days; ones that take over a Franchise or Game Series from another Developer.

They almost always never properly research the lore and story and so there always ends up being a number of gaping plot holes that can actually ruin a game.

And yet we buy it anyway. Sometimes you should appreciate the goodness in the game too. :D

And yet we buy it anyway. Sometimes you should appreciate the goodness in the game too. :D

Actually I dont. Im very wary of buying Star Wars games; LA Has a track record of forcing developers to put out the games sooner than they should be, and preventing developers from offering support beyond one or 2 patches.

KOTOR was the first SW game i ever bought and didnt return cos it sucked.

The i discovered the JK series was pretty good.

I returned my Xbox Copy of Jedi Academy cos the controls on it were terrible. Red Faction type dual analogue controlling. Yikes.

Though I have since had a shot of the PC version and it seems ok on the PC.

TFU I agree has to be the best SW game ive played yet. But the glaring plot holes definately detract from the game for me.

Id rate every other SW game at around 7 out of 10. And I only give TFU a 8 cos of the bad researching of the story line. Otherwise it get a 10 outta 10 for me. Best SW Game Ever!

But alas the shortness and plot/lore holes sorta damage it seriously.

As for other games series and game companies it really depends on the Companys record.

Fallout 3 for example I will not buy for Xbox 360 but im likely to get on PC because I dont trust Bethesda to have properly beta tested the games to have eliminated bugs and design flaws before release.

I do however trust that Bethesda will eventually sort the vast majority of problems with patches. Or at least give strong support to the community to fix the problems.

Whereas with Firaxis I tend to buy their games pretty much on release. I have Civ 1 to 4 plus all the expansions, two old versions of Pirates! plus the new Pirates on PC and Xbox, ive got CivCity:Rome, Railroads!. and im likely to buy Civ:Rev, and Colonization.

Firaxis as a company I trust almost implicitly to release a solid game, sort any problems, and support the community right from the get go.

Bioware, because of KOTOR and JE and ME i will probably buy all their games without problem on any platform. Solid company that isnt likely to be compromised in future in spite of their acquisition by a less than sterling company.

And then theres Obsidian - whom I am likely to avoid in future due to KOTOR2. Or at very least research their game extensively before purchase and only if im really interested. lol.

I dont mean offense saying this but people who buy games, clothes, cds, whatever just because of the Brand name are pretty much mindless atomatons who are asking to be screwed over.

Its sad really. Reviewers are around for a reason people! Lol.

The so called imperial guards have access to the force...If they do, then why not train as a Sith?

Darth Bane's Rule of Two - there can only be one master, and one apprentice. (As shown by Yoda in Ep. I)

By my understanding, there can still be dark Jedi or trained force adepts, but only two sith at any time.

I liked that sort of scale of ability with the guard - the Senate Guard can be killed with the force as easily as anyone else, but the Imperial/Royal/Red Guard have some resistance to force techniques, while the mysterious Shadow Guard will tear you to pieces with his force techniques while resisting some of your own.

Archived