Home

Looking for a good, reliable monitor/tv

Marius Fett

Ahoy thar techies :D

I'm on the hunt for a nice new monitor/tv.

The one I had hooked up to the Xbox 360 has died after about five years of service (it's taken quite a few hard knocks over the years..) (darn baby cousins *shakes fist*) and i'm now looking for a nice reliable new one that will last me quite a while.

I've been looking at a few makes, and have been mainly considering a Samsung or Dell..

If you know of a model by either one of those companies that would suit me, (or by another company) please let me know. :)

I have 1 monitor and 2 LCD TVs from samsung. Totally satisfied, their 3 year warranty as standard speaks for itself ;)

All I can suggest is that you consider connectivity when you are buying. Note that some LCD TVs do not support DVI or HDMI via PC. Grafix cards sometimes can force their way into compliance, but Im not a fan of that personally. Best get a unit designed for what you want to connect it to.

Of course, also keep in mind what rez you want, Full HD(1080p) is more than enough for most, and makes you bluray ready(if it has a HDMI port of course)

Only go down the UHD path is you are a high rez junkie and like to watch/lament at the highest end graphics cards getting murdered at 1600p when runing Crysis, Far Cry 2 etc :p

mtfbwya

^:lol:

I'm not after something uber-massive, the room it's going in doesn't really have space for soemthing huge. Something in the 20-30 inch range would be enough for the Xbox. :lol:

I'm just after something durable and that will last for a long while with either a VGA or Scart connection for the 360 and possibly the PS3 should we get one.

I've just been looking at this one:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/detail/spec.do?group=television&type=television&subtype=tftlcd&model_cd=LE23R88BDX/XEU

How do you reckon this would fare?

Depending on the primary use you want to make of it (monitor or TV), another possible option (I bought a t240 hd) is this monitor which can be used as a TV as well (both have a a built-in digital HDTV tuner ):

22":

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS22TDNSUV/ZA

24":

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24TDNSUV/ZA

Edit: there's a 26" as well.

I have a really nice HDTV which works great as a second monitor for my PC... the only problem is that it's 40" which is kind of overwhelming to sit in front of. The solution is that I use it as a secondary monitor and display videos, pics and games on it while I use my primary monitor for the more every day stuff.

hdtv_pc.jpg

The only problem is too few HDTVs are actually good to use as a PC monitor.

Archived