Home

The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf

Achilles

The Witcher for consoles. Very nice though I can't help but notice the abnormal role reversal. PC got the game first. How strange is that?

It wasn't that strange a few years back...til some " console exclu$ivity period$ " became more or less the norm.

Anyway, I hope to see more titles from CD Projekt. The Witcher has been a "refreshing" gaming experience for me and they have also shown that they care about their customers with the enhanced edition and without assorting the game with draconian DRM "protection" (GOG is another example).

It wasn't that strange a few years back...til some " console exclu$ivity period$ " became more or less the norm.
Seems like eons ago though. ;)

Anyway, I hope to see more titles from CD Projekt. The Witcher has been a "refreshing" gaming experience for me and they have also shown that they care about their customers with the enhanced edition and without assorting the game with draconian DRM "protection" (GOG is another example).
I wholeheartedly second this motion. I liked this line from the link that Achilles provided: "Before you PC die-hards throw up your hands in revolt… please remember that RED is still working on two unannounced games. " Yeah. I like the sound of that. :nod:

I know... I know... *sigh* Stupid devs... >.>

It seems like a good game, I just dont like playing male characters! >.< When I finally finish NWn2 and its expansions, I may have to just grin and bear it and try the game out... but looking at some guy's backside through out a game just isnt appealing. lol

It seems like a good game, I just dont like playing male characters! >.< When I finally finish NWn2 and its expansions, I may have to just grin and bear it and try the game out... but looking at some guy's backside through out a game just isnt appealing. lol

Indeed, I tend to prefer female protagonists in games as well. There are a few games that are good enough that male-only canned protagonists can be easily overlooked (Planescape:Torment and Deus Ex for example), but I'm not convinced The Witcher is a member of that exclusive group from what I've seen and read so far. :) Hard to form an opinion without playing it though since the game seems to be highly polarizing. Some seem to think it's the best game ever, while others talk about it like it's the worst crap ever made. Especially when both sides include sources you normally consider credible. :)

I find I stare more at Geralt's hair, to be honest...

Just happens to be in the center of the view, or something special with it? :p

Exactly, I played Planescape, and didnt mind playing a male character. But as you said, it was just that good. Witcher would have to be of such epic-calibre that I wont mind playing a male character. And like you, Im not convinced yet. Right now it seems like alot of hype.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

According to a report on GameBanshee, The Witcher: Rise of the White Wolf has been cancelled, another apparent victim of current poor economic conditions. CD Projekt RED is apparently focusing on developing The Witcher 2 for PC and consoles.

I couldn't find any official confirmation on the official Witcher website though so not sure what to make of this report right now.

EDIT: Yep, this is pretty much confirmed now that both CD Projekt RED and Widescreen Games are publicly pointing fingers at each other for the demise of Rise of the White Wolf. This game won't be coming out this year and probably will never be finished. That is most unfortunate for console gamers. See Gamasutra's article if you're interested.

Archived