Home

Metal Gear Solid Megathread: The Original Orange Box

Rabish Bini

I'm very disappointed at those who think MGS3 was better than MGS, the first one was better in so many ways, the boss fights were unreal, anyone play it on the PSX and when you fight Psycho Mantis how he reads your memory card and stuff, that was trippy.

And the plot and human drama was unbelievable. Plus it has Revolver Ocelot, and he's one of the best damn video game villians ever. (I know MGS3 hadf him as well, but he wasn't a Spaghetti Western, Revolver weilding, torture sadistic maniac like he is in the first one)

@ Chev: MP2E was too linear and then MP3C was even more linear.

@ Rabish: If you think Ocelot in MGS3 wasn't spaghetti western enough then you obviously haven't gotten that far into it. Ocelot becomes Revolver Ocelot in MGS3 and his journey is brilliantly done.

You can't beat the plot of MGS3, I mean, I don't want to give away any spoilers or even use spoiler tags for anyone stupid enough to highlight them... but the story in MGS3 is absolutely brilliant. The memory card thing in MGS1 (The memory card thing also works on the GameCube version too.) with Psycho Mantis is just a gimmick like how you can defeat The End by waiting (or setting the PS2 clock forward) a week during his boss battle so that next time you start up he'll be dead and you win without having to do anything. You want great plot and human drama? MGS3 had a tonne of it compared to MGS1.

I mean come on... There's only room for one Boss and one Snake.

@ Rabish: If you think Ocelot in MGS3 wasn't spaghetti western enough then you obviously haven't gotten that far into it. Ocelot becomes Revolver Ocelot in MGS3 and his journey is brilliantly done.

You can't beat the plot of MGS3, I mean, I don't want to give away any spoilers or even use spoiler tags for anyone stupid enough to highlight them... but the story in MGS3 is absolutely brilliant. The memory card thing in MGS1 (The memory card thing also works on the GameCube version too.) with Psycho Mantis is just a gimmick like how you can defeat The End by waiting (or setting the PS2 clock forward) a week during his boss battle so that next time you start up he'll be dead and you win without having to do anything. You want great plot and human drama? MGS3 had a tonne of it compared to MGS1.

I mean come on... There's only room for one Boss and one Snake.

Ocelot was far better in MGS, and yeah I do know the memory card thing is a gimmick, but cool nonetheless :)

I disagree on the plot in MGS3 being better though, and I just felt that the bosses weren't as good as in MGS, but to each their own.

How could you think the plot of MGS1 is better than 3? I mean...

The Boss, who Snake thought had betrayed her country was in fact betrayed and sacrificed by the US. She will always be known as a traitor in the US and a monster in Russia but she sacrificed it all to try to unite the world together. The price she paid is extremely moving and Naked Snake...Big Boss himself honours her and all she had tried to achieve.

big%20boss%20salute.JPG

As for the bosses in MGS1 and 3, I thought they were both pretty cool for different reasons.

Am I the only one who thinks MGS is better?

How could you think the plot of MGS1 is better than 3? I mean...

The Boss, who Snake thought had betrayed her country was in fact betrayed and sacrificed by the US. She will always be known as a traitor in the US and a monster in Russia but she sacrificed it all to try to unite the world together. The price she paid is extremely moving and Naked Snake...Big Boss himself honours her and all she had tried to achieve.

Because of how everything ties togetther so perfectly in the end, i dunno, it just seems a superior storyline.

The whole thing with the PAL, and how the Cyborg Ninja is actually Snake's close friend Gray Fox, and the whole thing with Deepthroat and Master Miller actually being Liquid, to Naomi working with the enemy, it all fits perfectly, it makes for a better storyline.

The whole thing with the PAL, and how the Cyborg Ninja is actually Snake's close friend Gray Fox, and the whole thing with Deepthroat and Master Miller actually being Liquid, to Naomi working with the enemy, it all fits perfectly, it makes for a better storyline.

MGS1 is a generic action movie with a generic action movie plot that's so easy to figure out.

MGS3 starts off like your average action flick, then turns into a bond movie and then totally rocks your world with the revelations near the end and the fact that you HAVE to kill The Boss when you really don't want to... and then learning about her sacrifice. *cries* God damn.

MGS1 is a generic action movie with a generic action movie plot that's so easy to figure out.

MGS3 starts off like your average action flick, then turns into a bond movie and then totally rocks your world with the revelations near the end and the fact that you HAVE to kill The Boss when you really don't want to... and then learning about her sacrifice. *cries* God damn.

The one with the most of those revelations was MGS2, which was an awesome game too.

And I wouldn't say MGS is a generic action movie plot, it had numerous wtf? moments throughout, something a generic action movie lacks.

I'll agree that MGS3's plot was awesome too. Hell, every MGS game is awesome.

While I think MGS3 was overally superior to the first game, I must disagree with this statement. Maybe because I was too young, but every plot twist on MGS caught me by the most utter surprise.

One point I think we all may agree with is this:

Hell, every MGS game is awesome.

The problem with MGS1 is that anyone who knew about Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 could figure out Metal Gear Solid. Maybe it is because I'm older than both of you so I was able to play the older games and had experienced enough to think of MGS1 as a generic action movie, but that isn't a bad thing. MGS1 may be a generic action movie, but generic action movies can be good too... it's just not better than MGS3. Nothing about MGS1 did surprise me at all though, it was pretty standard for me.

As for MGS2, that game was more convoluted than it was complex with its plot... funnily enough with the plots of MGS3 and 4 they ended up reworking what happened in MGS2 in the next games so it'd make more sense.

MGS3 was definitely the best. First off, it was set during the Cold War. Any video game set during the Cold War automatically gets a golden star in my book. Second, the survival aspect of stealth in a wilderness setting was immensely spectacular. Especially the battle with The End, which greatly reminded me of the short story The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell, or a more modern example, the climax of Predator. ^_^

Damnit! Doesn't anyone agree with me that MGS is the superior game, while MGS is more critically acclaimed and has a higher average on Metacritic, that doesn't count.

Lynk: I never played the Metal Gear's, so I wouldn't know. Although I don't understand why people found the MGS2 plot so hard to follow, I found it easy as.

Forget stories, plot twists and boss fights for a minute and answer this question... Can you kill and eat crocodiles, snakes and mammals for health benefits in the original Metal Gear Solid? Yea... I think we're done here.

Yea, just that makes for a real interesting game, doesn't it :dozey:

Damnit! Doesn't anyone agree with me that MGS is the superior game, while MGS is more critically acclaimed and has a higher average on Metacritic, that doesn't count.

But it's not the superior game, obviously :p What it IS is the more popular game... go out to the masses and they'll all choose MGS1 as the better game. Ask the people who know the series a lot more and most of them will choose MGS3 as their favourite.

Lynk: I never played the Metal Gear's, so I wouldn't know. Although I don't understand why people found the MGS2 plot so hard to follow, I found it easy as.

I think you missed my point... it's not hard to follow, it's pretty easy to follow, the problem was that the plot was just plain STUPID... which in turn effected MGS4 even though they tried to fix many of the stupid problems of MGS2 with "lolnanomachines"...

Yea, just that makes for a real interesting game, doesn't it :dozey:

Yeah, it really does :p the radio conversations in MGS3 are priceless.

But it's not the superior game, obviously :p What it IS is the more popular game... go out to the masses and they'll all choose MGS1 as the better game. Ask the people who know the series a lot more and most of them will choose MGS3 as their favourite.

I would say that MGS is superios :insert patriotic smilie:

Oh, okay I get ya, although I still didn't mind the plot of MGS2...

Yeah, it really does :p the radio conversations in MGS3 are priceless.

Too true.

The main thing I had a problem with though is how there technically was no Metal Gear, sure, the Shagohod was a sort of "prototype", but it just seems weird there not being a Metal Gear. But that's just me.

Oh, and not to mention that the 3 sequal MGS' all basically follow the same "trend" for lack of better word

i agree with Lynk MGS 3 was better than MGS by far plus the conversations and edible animals do make for a more interesting game also, you cant forget all the "Press R1" moments with Snake and EVA and again like Lynk said the unforgetable HAVE to kill Boss moment that cuts deep to the core and the fights with everyone else...

Correction: Metal Gear Solid is simply following the plot of the first two Metal Gear games.

I wasn't talking about the plot, I meant how everything in the sequals was basically already dfone in the first MGS

i agree with Lynk MGS 3 was better than MGS by far plus the conversations and edible animals do make for a more interesting game also, you cant forget all the "Press R1" moments with Snake and EVA and again like Lynk said the unforgetable HAVE to kill Boss moment that cuts deep to the core and the fights with everyone else...

Can we please use grammar, at least full stops and such, makes that bit easier to read :)

I wasn't talking about the plot, I meant how everything in the sequals was basically already dfone in the first MGS

Play Metal Gear and you'll realise that a lot of what MGS has was already done in Metal Gear. They then did it again in Metal Gear 2 (the official one, not the one that didn't involve Kojima) and then again in Metal Gear Solid and so on...

Play Metal Gear and you'll realise that a lot of what MGS has was already done in Metal Gear. They then did it again in Metal Gear 2 (the official one, not the one that didn't involve Kojima) and then again in Metal Gear Solid and so on...

You mean to tell me that Metal Gear had

Cyborg Ninjas, a REAL battle against Metal Gear, nanotechnology and all the other wacky mumbo jumbo?

yeah sure but still

MGS 3 > than MGS [/discussion]

No an opinon does NOT end a discussion, state reasons, not just "this is better than that"

You mean to tell me that Metal Gear had

Cyborg Ninjas, a REAL battle against Metal Gear, nanotechnology and all the other wacky mumbo jumbo?

What wasn't real about the Metal Gear battles in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? They were Metal Gears after all. REX wasn't the first Metal Gear. Plus, each new game added more to the formula, but the reality is that the formula began with Metal Gear and not Metal Gear Solid.

What wasn't real about the Metal Gear battles in Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2? They were Metal Gears after all. REX wasn't the first Metal Gear. Plus, each new game added more to the formula, but the reality is that the formula began with Metal Gear and not Metal Gear Solid.

No I mean a REAL FIGHT against Metal Gear, I may not have played the first one, but I have watched someone else play it as a kid, and I'm pretty sure that you don't have a real fight with it in Metal Gear 2 (Correct me if I'm wrong)

You know, you don't have to be insulting to people... just thought I'd let you know.

Whoa hang on, when did I insult someone?

Archived