Home

Pucker up, North America

Achilles

Scientists eye unusual swarm of Yellowstone quakes

The article correctly points out that Yellowstone Park has big nasty caldera underneath it, however what it doesn't mention is that the last time it erupted, it did unkind things to most of the Western U.S.

I hope these guys are right and "There doesn't seem to be anything to be alarmed about".

Joy, yet another thing to keep me up at night. :p

Old news, geologists have known about that for decades. The last eruption was around 640,000 years ago. If it does erupt, then the whole would be technically screwed, but I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I'm more concerned with the New Madrid quaking once again, as that would be far more devastating than anything out of the San Andreas area.

Old news, geologists have known about that for decades.
Indeed they have. Hence why the nonchalant "nothin' t' see here, folks" seems a little peculiar to me.

I'm more concerned with the New Madrid quaking once again, as that would be far more devastating than anything out of the San Andreas area.
Since the New Madrid registers activity every day, I'm assuming that you mean something bigger than >1.0 :D

Well if it happens then I'll be dead... I live not too far from there... Well far in mile/kilometer terms but I live in a state right nearby... I remember seeing a movie about it actually. Perhaps they could tap into that magma pocket with some sort of specialized geothermal power plant and drain some of it out to somewhere else to releive a bit of the pressure?

Archived