Home

Elusive Narwhal caught on film

Astor

Here.

I think it's fascinating, personally. We know so little about sea-life as it is, especially this species, and this footage gives us a brief glimpse of not just one, but a whole group of Narwhal.

Also, looking at the footage, and their impressive horn, I can see how early Norse explorers might have considered them to be 'Sea-Monsters'.

That seems a fair assessment. They are very impressive creatures, as you say sure 'sea-monster' material!

I certainly thought so when I first heard of them - there's a 1.5-2m Narwhal tusk at Warwick Castle (picture here, not mine), in one of the Great Halls - I couldn't believe that it was from a sea creature!

That such a creature can be so close to us, yet we still know almost nothing about them, is just amazing. I hope this will spark further research into the species, and and lead to conservation efforts if it is proved that Global Warming will have a detrimental effect on them.

The first thing I thought of when watching the clip was the apparent danger - it is amazing that the Narwhal are able to swim in such close formation, seemingly without incident...I imagine a 7ft tusk could do massive damage in the event of an unfortunate collission.

And I agree with you, if global warming is shown to be having an effect on them, such a curious creature ought be protected - as should all, really, but this species is fascinating.

Your yacht would get stoved like the Essex.
Yes, but that was an old wooden-hull craft. I can buy a steel-hulled Soviet sub on the black market for several thousand dollars. Outfit the machine gun deck with a harpoon cannon, and you have a modern day whaleship.

That was one righteously pissed off whale, and a strong indicator that whales are capable of reason.
But these are smaller than whales... but with tusks. It's a fair fight. :carms:

I can buy a steel-hulled Soviet sub on the black market for several thousand dollars. Outfit the machine gun deck with a harpoon cannon, and you have a modern day whaleship.

I thought that the drug cartels had already bought all of them to use for smuggling, along with a few leftover thermonuclear torpedoes to use against the DEA and the Coast Guard.

I thought that the drug cartels had already bought all of them to use for smuggling, along with a few leftover thermonuclear torpedoes to use against the DEA and the Coast Guard.
Pshaw, there's a guy named dimitri5162 on eBay that's selling one for $100. They're practically liquidating their stock to get quick cash.

Archived