Home

New American McGee's Alice

True_Avery

http://www.australiangamer.com/news/1561_new_american_mcgees_alice_game.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6204914.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;3

Sequel to one of my top 5 favorite games of all time...

Best news of the freaking year.

American McGee's Alice was seriously one of the best games I have ever played. While it may lack depth on the combat level, I've yet to find a game that indulged that part of my story tastes as much as that game did. It was dark, creepy, and brilliantly made, yet such a simple design. A dying form of game.

Anyone else excited about this? Seeing as McGee will be doing the story again, I have high hopes.

• 1 year later...

The story sounds like a rehash of the first. She was "fine", then went into a deep psychological break and must return to Wonderland to try and fight her sanity.

That said, I'm still mind touching myself to this game. Might be a rehash, but a rehash of one of my favorite things ever is fine with me. I was really, truly terrified that Alice 2 had been canceled when EA said it closed most of its game backlog at the beginning of the crash... SO glad it managed to escape that.

I'm not sure whether or not to be glad about the story rehash, but in a sick way it sort of makes sense:

She may have regained her sanity at the end of the first game, but I always got the itching feeling that the "fix" was, in a way, just another form of her psychosis. Like, it was just too happy to be real and the way the ending was presented sort of gave that illusion; like some drug fueled fairytale dream, or a delusion of happiness created by her subconscious to keep her from completely folding.

This story basically sets the ending of the first game to be a lie, and the more I think about it the more I really like it. Sure, its a rehash, but in this context it makes sense:

She is no longer being rehabilitated. She somehow got out of the asylum, but whatever "sanity" she displayed was more of an illusion she either believed or used to her advantage. Rehab, the "destruction" of the Red Queen, and so on didn't seem to fix her which gives me the feeling that she is, in her own way, permanently broken. The summary says she is trying to figure out why both in reality and in her own mind, but she is now under a psychiatrist and not the asylum... which sort of feels like she is no longer a patient, but rather a research subject. A fascinating, broken clock that is being researched not to fix, but to understand why it is so broken.

It also gives more tone to the twisted imagery of the Red Queen looking like a malformed Alice. The Red Queen was, almost literally, the entire physicality of Wonderland, and had Alice's voice, face, and so on. She had become so much of her inner world that she may be all that is really left, and her attempts to destroy the Red Queen instead of trying to understand her could be considered a form of suicide, and may lend layers as to why Alice had tried to kill herself multiple times in the Asylum.

I'm thrilled to read that the lead writer of the first is back. The images also look promising. The card guards being undead brings up all kinds of questions and creep implications. Like, even if she fights and tried to kill her own insanity, it, in the end, only makes it stronger and harder to put down again. I also find it very curious that the in-game pics place her in the old palace, and the Red Queen room in-particular.

Its... almost as if she "killed" the "insanity" within her, but that corpse never actually disappeared and is now simply rotting, taking the rest of the world, and her mind, with it. They never actually disappeared into happy images at the end; only began to stagnate and bleed poison.

The themes here place this even grimmer spotlight on the first game; Alice wasn't so much killing her insanity as stabbing herself in the heart and watching it bleed. It wasn't a journey of redemption, but of mental suicide.

If this game was a person I'd cuddle it every night. This stuff is just psychological masturbation material and I love every ****ing second of it.

Can't wait.

Archived