Home

The Dawn of the Internet!

Tom Brokaw: "But does this mean bedtime stories in the year 2000 will come from a PC?"

Bill Gates: "It's a long ways away before you have a flat screen that is as small and light as that book is today."

xoxo_ebook_150.jpg

Well he was right, 15 years is a "long way" IMO.

They Were designed by none other than Ron Gilbert.

I thought they were great, but obviously for kids. Super streamlined interface, more similar to what telltale is doing now. Pajama Sam 1 was probably the best.

All of the Humongous games were pretty ingenious and high quality for kid's entertainment, Pajama Sam and Freddi Fish especially. The animation and backgrounds alone on some of those games beat out adult adventure games from the same time for a while.

Only the first Freddi Fish was designed by Ron Gilbert, the one featured in the DAWN OF THE INTRANET video. The rest were overseen by him, I think... Dave Grossman is credited for writing Freddi Fish 4 as well as most of the Pajama Sams.

Good lord... Did you guys know this? Shelley Day (ex-LucasArts) and Ron Gilbert were the ones who started Humongous Entertainment. They then created the side-company Cavedog Entertainment. When they were sold to Infrogrammes in 2001 they started a new company... Hulabee Entertainment.

I think they released 4 games before Shelley Day was jailed for 2 years for attempting to defraud a bank in Seattle for $1.5 million! (In 2005.) This essentially killed Hulabee.

http://www.edge-online.com/news/game-boss-shelley-day-jailed

Crikey!

Good lord... Did you guys know this? Shelley Day (ex-LucasArts) and Ron Gilbert were the ones who started Humongous Entertainment. They then created the side-company Cavedog Entertainment. When they were sold to Infrogrammes in 2001 they started a new company... Hulabee Entertainment.

I think they released 4 games before Shelley Day was jailed for 2 years for attempting to defraud a bank in Seattle for $1.5 million! (In 2005.) This essentially killed Hulabee.

Crikey!

I do remember hearing about that at the time, actually.

Considering they went from business to business together, do you think they were a couple? That must have been really difficult for Ron! He started his blog in 2005, didn't he? How weird.

Edit: No, he started it in 2004, although there's no mention of Day or Hulabee around the time it was happening, even in the user comments (that I could find). Weird.

Crikey!

Yeah I remember hearing about that a long time ago on Idlethumbs. It was pretty shocking because Hulabee's 2 games (or at least the 2 I have played) had much better writing than anything at Humongous, which was already top notch for kids games. I guess Dave Grossman is again to thank for that.

Edit: No, he started it in 2004, although there's no mention of Day or Hulabee around the time it was happening, even in the user comments (that I could find). Weird.

That's funny, I also tried a few months back to find some quotes from Ron Gilbert about it and couldn't find anything either. It seems like he has stayed tight lipped for the most part. It think it would make a good read to get statements and quotes from the artists, writers, designers, and programmers who worked at Hulabee about what happened, but that probably has tons of legal implications. Maybe something along the lines of the awesome Secret History articles that have so much great behind the scenes stuff about the working relationships at LucasArts.

Yeah I remember hearing about that a long time ago on Idlethumbs. It was pretty shocking because Hulabee's 2 games (or at least the 2 I have played) had much better writing than anything at Humongous, which was already top notch for kids games. I guess Dave Grossman is again to thank for that.

That sucks. You do get the idea that if they company had been allowed to continue that they would have made enough money to pay it back... But still, it seems ridiculous that she would forge documents to buy her dream house. That's quite a gamble to keep carrying on with the bank.

Grossman did work on Humongous games, too, I think, didn't he?

It's weird that there were no comments from the co-founder (Ron) or any other employees at Hulabee. I've asked Grossman about it in the TT forums... I doubt he'll answer, though.

That sucks. You do get the idea that if they company had been allowed to continue that they would have made enough money to pay it back... But still, it seems ridiculous that she would forge documents to buy her dream house. That's quite a gamble to keep carrying on with the bank.

To me it's really weird after a decade in the games industry, suddenly Shelley decides to get greedy and ruin her company for a dream house. Maybe she was planning it for a long time?

Freddi Fish 4 and 3 out of 4 of the Pajama Sam ones, but I forgot exactly which. The ones he worked on seemed to be better than the usual, which were still high quality kids games.

It's weird that there were no comments from the co-founder (Ron) or any other employees at Hulabee. I've asked Grossman about it in the TT forums... I doubt he'll answer, though.

Oh man, I hope he decides to reply. That would be very interesting to hear him talk about it. I don't think I've ever read any interview where he says much about the behind the scenes stuff at Humongous or Hulabee. He seems to be more careful about what he says than maybe Tim Schafer (Although I love Tim Schafer for it).

Archived