Home

K1 & 2 One mod only

Ogriv83

Don't think I could just stick to one, as Jon points out. However, if forced to use only one at a time, I'd probably go w/D333's warp band in K1 (don't always like playing game in a "linear mode") and Lit Ridl's warp band (like a mini in-game KSE+) for K2. Just for aesthetic value I'd probably use Prime/Bneezy's Stormtrooper mod in K1. Frankly, though, there are too many to stick to only one/one at a time. But, that's one of the durable things about K1/K2.......sooooo many mods to chose from/include. ;)

Im not saying stick to one its just to see what people would pick if put in the situation. I tend to stuff my overide full of mods. I spend ages selecting which ones i won't to use and making sure their compatable.

I figured you were looking for peoples' preferred mod/s. ;) Just one of those things like that ad taunting you that you can't have just one. Mod compatability issues have probably prevented me from playing a few mods that I've had for awhile (usually a 2da or an item conflict). Just giving me a reason to play every now and again in the future I suppose....

What?

How about you put down a mod that has actually been released?

I think that was why your answer appeared so amusing to EQ there. ;)

Or is the "candy-land imaginary mod" called the TSLRP out and we both missed the bus?

OT: I use my stuff, all others are clearly inferior! :carms: That and I'm too lazy to DL new mods anymore, add to that DDO has sucked my life away...

*Curses the Shroud* :fist:

You are, of course, correct, RH. :)

@Mr. Shadow: sorry if I came off as something of a smartass, but TSLRP is little more than a hoax perpetrated and sustained by its team leader, and has been for at least the past two years. As such it has been a point of fierce debate here at LF and the bane of the staff before finally (and mercifully) being written off by most of the community in recent months.

If you're interested in a restoration mod for TSL that is actually being worked on and therefore has more than a snowball's chance in Hell of ever being completed (unlike TSLRP), look no further than here. It's still unfinished, so it's not perfect, but it's playable, and, more importantly, available to the general public as an open beta. ;)

You are, of course, correct, RH. :)

@Mr. Shadow: sorry if I came off as something of a smartass, but TSLRP is little more than a hoax perpetrated and sustained by its team leader, and has been for at least the past two years. As such it has been a point of fierce debate here at LF and the bane of the staff before finally (and mercifully) being written off by most of the community in recent months.

I don't mean to open up an age old debate - but I disagree with both you and RH, to TSL:RP being a hoax; the leaked Beta, I think shows that it is not a hoax, however I don't think TSL:RP will ever be finished (especially now Stoney has done TSL:RCM).

Actually, we don't disagree at all, j7. The mod itself is very real and contains some of the best KotOR modding that I've ever seen. The hoax part is Dashus' continued assurances that he will finish it without any help and, incidentally, while not working on it at all, thereby leaving the mod in a perpetual state of limbo.

This thread, started by one of their beta testers, explains the situation far better than I ever could. I believe that TSLRP was started with the best of intentions, only to end up serving as an ego trip for a sociopathic charlatan, which is, I believe, why all or at least some of the other team members quit.

TSLRP is little more than a hoax perpetrated and sustained by its team leader, and has been for at least the past two years. As such it has been a point of fierce debate here at LF and the bane of the staff before finally (and mercifully) being written off by most of the community in recent months.

Word! :carms:

I don't mean to open up an age old debate - but I disagree with both you and RH, to TSL:RP being a hoax; the leaked Beta, I think shows that it is not a hoax, however I don't think TSL:RP will ever be finished (especially now Stoney has done TSL:RCM).

I strongly disagree, both on the so called mod, its vaunted team, and the quality it 'was'... but another topic for another time.

None.

I had played both games enough that for each play-through, I needed to convince myself that enough mods had come out that added enough new content and such that the result would make it a different experience from last time. This was the single, unalterable law which I held to in regards to the KotOR series. Therefore, there is no single mod in existence for either game which would convince me to play through again with just that one mod.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Furthermore, I doubt that I will play through either game ever again. I've played through both KotOR I and TSL with what are nigh-universally hailed as the best content mods to be produced in their history, Brotherhood of Shadow: Solomon's Revenge and TSL Restored Content Mod, respectively. But even with those, when I finished the game, both times I felt like I had lost something.

In KotOR I's case, I found the BoS:SR content, while very well-constructed and written, to be unalterably tedious, largely due to having to worry about combat mechanics and other stupid details; I had to make sure I didn't die, had to keep track of where to go, and so on. While the story of BoS was excellent for a fan-written one, I found myself so drained from the monotony of schlepping through combat sections (and so disgusted with myself for investing so much time as a result) that I just quit and uninstalled the game as soon as I finished BoS:SR's storyline; I knew that, as tiring to finish that story as it had been, I had reached the zenith of this game, and the experience would only go downhill from there. I already knew how it was going to end, so there was no point in beating the game again, especially considering how much more boring and monotonous it was going to get once I reached Rakata Prime: A long, boring slugfest with a ton of NPCs followed by a boss fight and a non-ending. And I know that KotOR I's status as a game with no ending will never change, because for some reason everyone else on this planet seems to think it does have one, therefore nobody is interested in expanding it (nor could they if they wanted to).

In TSL's case, I learned the hard way that, quite frankly, TSLRC simply wasn't worth it. I'm not counting the slew of bugs that came with this public release; they weren't that big a deal. What I mean is that anyone who has been waiting to see this game "finished" and "restored" by the community has already played it a thousand million times and memorized every major scene and every notable plot point, sidequest, and element; anyone who has been waiting for this mod can go to any given scene in this game and play through it by reflex because they've memorized it and know exactly what to do. Because of this, TSLRC consisted of tediously slogging through the vanilla game's content in order to charge through to the new content. And I soon learned that the new content was not adding a whole lot to the game; a new scene or element sprinkled around here and there, but nothing close to the substance that the community legend of the "long lost story of TSL" would have me believe. So still I slogged on toward the end, where I hoped but did not expect to find something resembling an ending to the game. As it turned out, Malachor was the same as it always had been: A huge slog through room after room of enemies with minimal content (I distinctly remember finding a bunch of restored rooms with nothing actually in them, and wondering why they bothered). A few new scenes, a long conversation with Darth Traya at the end, the Ebon Hawk flies away as Malachor implodes, and... that's the end.

I know that adding an ending to TSL was not claimed or advertised, but I hoped for something. Even the HK factory was so tedious because of the combat that I just gave HK-47 an instant-kill pistol and ran through it as fast as I could, feeling no satisfaction because, along with virtually everyone else who is playing this mod, I already knew how it would end. As it turned out, the situation was as I had suspected for some time: TSL does not have enough remaining content to restore any sort of actual ending, therefore it will never have one. It ended just as hollow and abruptly with the new content as it always had without. I no longer wait for the TSLRP because this is basically the same thing; TSLRP will not restore or add anything of any significance that wasn't by this one, and now that I know and have seen with my own eyes that TSL will never have an ending, any and all remaining shadow of doubt has been dispelled, and I no longer have any intention in my mind of wasting my time on playing through TSL ever again.

In short, no single mod can improve either KotOR game significantly enough to make it satisfying as with all of one's choice mods together, but in my opinion, even that isn't enough.

TSL's cut content was way over-hyped (by you know who) in the time since its release. Perhaps your expectations were a bit too high?

That, and it sounds like you really didn't like either game in the first place.

No, I did, it just got to the point that playing through the game was pointless, because I already knew how everything would end; in other words, I didn't stop liking the games' story, but I no longer like the games themselves, if that makes sense to you.

And I didn't go in with high expectations; rather, one could say that I went in simply to definitively decide for myself whether the hype had any merit at all. In a way, I already knew what I would find, so you could say I'm something of a glutton for punishment.

No, I did, it just got to the point that playing through the game was pointless, because I already knew how everything would end; in other words, I didn't stop liking the games' story, but I no longer like the games themselves, if that makes sense to you.

And I didn't go in with high expectations; rather, one could say that I went in simply to definitively decide for myself whether the hype had any merit at all. In a way, I already knew what I would find, so you could say I'm something of a glutton for punishment.

From your review, I think you played the game too much; I deliberately stopped playing TSL because there were the Restoration efforts there. While perhaps the "Cut Content" was over-hyped I do think that TSL:RCM offers a much more complete version of the game. Malachor is still a massive slug fest, but that I think has much to do with the fact that, the dev's didn't finish it - and while there is restored stuff there, I think clearly it was a rush job, and I'm not sure if they had even made all the content they were going to put in for Malachor.

However I think TSL is a much, much better game with TSL:RCM, perhaps I have the advantage of nothing having played the game since '06, so in some respects it's still fresh!

• 1 month later...
Actually, we don't disagree at all, j7. The mod itself is very real and contains some of the best KotOR modding that I've ever seen. The hoax part is Dashus' continued assurances that he will finish it without any help and, incidentally, while not working on it at all, thereby leaving the mod in a perpetual state of limbo.

This thread, started by one of their beta testers, explains the situation far better than I ever could. I believe that TSLRP was started with the best of intentions, only to end up serving as an ego trip for a sociopathic charlatan, which is, I believe, why all or at least some of the other team members quit.

lol @ that thread for team gizka

• 1 month later...

Archived