Home

TMI Performance

Snugglecakes

Hi all

Loving Tales of Monkey Island. Only thing is I can't get it to run smoothly. It's fine... ish, but does get a bit jerky at times.

I don't have the best of machines at home. It's a Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz with 4 gigs of ram and a GeForce 8600 GT.

I don't really play hardcore action games, thought this setup would be fine for an "adventure game" but I guess the modern adventure game has caught up with me :)

Was just wondering, is TMI just a resource hog and I need something faster, or am I missing something?

Sam & Max worked fine even at my native res of 1920x1080.

TMI I'm having to play at 1280x720, which blurs things a bit but it's like primitive anti-aliasing which I can now leave off. Switching that on halts proceedings completely.

TMI is certainly going to use more resources than Sam & Max because it has higher levels of modelled detail, higher-resolution textures, and more special effects such as depth of field blurring and special textures.

Of course, most of these should be disabled when you lower the detail in the options. Are you saying it won't run well even if you do that?

Assuming you've been to NVIDIA's website and downloaded the latest drivers for your card, I can't think of anything to suggest beyond grabbing a better graphics card. Your other hardware seems fine, but the 8600 GT is getting on a bit seeing as it heils from 2006 and even then was considered a strictly low/medium-range card.

You would be able to get something more than adequate for running games well beyond TMI for ~£100, half that if TMI is pretty much as far as your gaming interest goes.

Hi Thrik, thanks

Yeah I'm a bit of a detail lover :) I wanna see it allll!! I might just go and get a new gfx card early next year anyway though, I think it's about time. It's kind of asking a bit much for this to run at high detail in what is actually very high res. Oh heck I might as well buy myself a little xmas pressie right away. Just need to do the dreaded research on what's out there these days.

Thanks again mate

• 3 weeks later...

On my old comp with Inter Celeron 2.0Ghz 1 Core (slower than Pentium 4 2.0ghz), only 512mb RAM and "prehistoric" GeForceFX 5500 (which has AGPx8 and my Mainboard tolerate max x4 so it works slower than it should) the game works well on high res and more than 1 level of details.... I don't know why is playing on lower details is so bad 4 you, taking into account the fact, that there is no MUCH difference in graphic quality between them! Shame on you, guys, who have more-than-one-core-CPU, more-than-1gb-of-RAM and Graphic Card which name starts/ends with "HD" and are grumbling : \ "Don't play game because the graphics are baaaaad"

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,689757/Tales-of-Monkey-Island-System-requirements-graphics-comparison-and-screenshots/Practice/

Is the low detail too ugly to play? : /

Well sounds like I'll be waiting for TMI to come out on the 360 as I'm stuck w/ my laptop for a while and it has a 2.2 Ghz core 2 duo and an ATI HD2600xt video card which is basically the same as snugglecakes has...and I can't stand when games get choppy on my PC.

urluckyday, by all means go and get it! It will run fine, I'm just the kind of guy who wants allllll the detail. It runs perfectly on my machine at detail level 6. I was kind of avoiding lowering the graphics but it doesn't make much difference and is a pleasure to play.

• 1 month later...

I think the issue here is monitor size. The larger monitor you have, the better the video card you need to drive the games. I have a 19 inch monitor with an HD 4650, but the mouse is slow in Tales and Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island. I'm getting an HD 4850, which is alot better for performance.

Archived