Home

Predators [Spoilers]

True_Avery

My friends and I saw this movie last night and my general opinion is...

I feel freaking rickrolled by this movie.

It the -first- movie again. They are a group of bad a**es in a rainforest that are being hunted by Predators. You've got the tough leader guy (who does a bad job of acting like a supreme bad a**), the ethnic girl, the chaingun guy, the black guy... well, you've got a repeat of the original cast in a sense. Ok... I guess I can deal...

Except the Predators are just... awful. Their masks are freakishly huge compared to the rest of their bodies (more than usual, I mean), the makeup is pretty poor, the 3D is subpar, and the animatronics are outdated. Seriously some of the worst 3D fire effects I've seen in years, and the stealth effects and blood was far better done in the original... 23 years ago.

I guess I could give a spoiler warning... but its the same damn movie! I'll tag it anyway just in case:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Basically these jerkoffs get dropped onto an alien planet that is sort of a canned hunting ground for aristocratic Predators. Turns out there are different "breeds" of Predator, with the ones we are used to seeing being sort of like dogs, and this hunting pack being more like Wolves. Bigger, stronger, faster, and... less screen time.

They walk around for awhile trying to figure things out, and then eventually run into the dogs from James Cameron's Avatar. They beat them up for awhile, then comes to the only genuinely disturbing moment in the entire film. Its actually really good, so I wont spoil it.

They then get saved by Morpheus from the Matrix who looks like he is going to be the wise sage of the movie and their only hope against the much more powerful Wolf Predators... but he just tries to kill them for their stuff less than 5 minutes later, then promptly is killed so he gives exactly nothing to the entire movie.

Then comes the first Predator death. Remember in AVP when the first two Preds died absolutely pathetically so the last one could look more badass by comparison? That is this movie. The first one dies less than a minute after being introduced by being suicide bombed.

After some more character deaths, the Japanese guy pulls his Katana (... yeah...) and stays behind to fight the Predators (like the Native from the first movie!). He fights a Pred, cuts it in half and kills it... then promptly dies for no clear reason.

They then go back to the camp and free a "dog" Predator that was chained up in hopes it will help them get off the planet. It puts on the familiar Pred mask and then fights the Wolf Pred... which turns out to be about as successful as a starving holocaust victim fighting MMA fighter Randy Couture.

So, the main hero dude covers himself in mud to hide himself... then lights a fire to blind the Pred and just beats it with a stick till it dies, making it one of the most pathetic fights since Kirk fought Gorn. They then look up and see more people being dropped into the preserve, and just... walk away into the jungle.

The End.

The Predators died one by one and never worked as a team, questioning why one would call this "Predators" in the first place. We met no Predator leaders or ultimate bada**es like we did in Aliens; its just a clone of the first movie with more than one Pred. Not to mention the cinematography, dialogue, and acting was just... awful. The camera angles for the Preds made them look like anime characters, and there are really odd scenes like this: They shoot a bunch, so they all say to do an ammo count... except nobody pulls their clips/magazines and counts their ammo, or looks at how much is left... They just say they have to, then promptly don't. Doesn't matter anyway; everybody has infinite ammo till they die... till their guns mysteriously disappear due to plot. (I swear, what the hell happened to the guy's shotgun at the end? Did he just throw it away?)

They had a -concept- there: A class war between aristocratic Preds and the smaller breed. The humans could have... I dunno, teamed up against a team of weaker, dishonored Predators being used for target practice and fought the far superior Wolf Predators. The humans and the Preds could have used their differing tactics and skills to outsmart and outgun the Wolves, and the humans that survived would have been seen as equals and, I dunno... taken home or integrated into their society... or f'in something. The movie, as it stands, doesn't actually even have an ending.

I... don't know why I pay attention to these movies anymore. Probably as a morbid curiosity for how far from the point the creators of these movies have fallen. Its just a little pathetic how Alien could go to Aliens, but Predator can't seem to do the same.

Did anyone else see this movie?

I actually liked this move to be honest TA, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10, its nothing ground breaking, but it proved a diverting two hours, which I enjoyed, the plot was very simple and considering how awful, Alien 3, Alien VI, AvP, AvP 2, I think Predators was actually pretty decent by comparison...

I never did understand why people hate Alien 3 so much.

Depends which version, the standard cut doesn't actually make sense, as they fail to show how it gets out again after they trap it, which is epic fail. The main problem with the film is it renders Aliens pretty much pointless as a) Bishop, Newt and Hicks all die and b) Somehow eggs are on ship?? I don't mind the directors cut of Alien 3, but essentially it's just a re-run of Alien, just no-where near as good...

Depends which version, the standard cut doesn't actually make sense, as they fail to show how it gets out again after they trap it, which is epic fail. The main problem with the film is it renders Aliens pretty much pointless as a) Bishop, Newt and Hicks all die and b) Somehow eggs are on ship?? I don't mind the directors cut of Alien 3, but essentially it's just a re-run of Alien, just no-where near as good...

It's the only Alien movie I never bothered watching beyond a few scenes.

True, and I do like the director's cut a lot more than the original version... but it's not so bad that you'd group it with AvP.

I don't -not- recommend seeing this movie. Its a good waste of, like, 2 hours but don't let the name or trailers (seriously, they lie outright about a few scenes) fool you; it is forgettable.

I actually liked this move to be honest TA, I'd give it a 6 or 7 out of 10, its nothing ground breaking, but it proved a diverting two hours, which I enjoyed, the plot was very simple and considering how awful, Alien 3, Alien VI, AvP, AvP 2, I think Predators was actually pretty decent by comparison...

I actually thought it was on par with the first AvP, which wasn't a great movie, but yeah it is certainly still better than the rest.

I dunno, I found the "gore" in this movie is be just hilariously overdone. The theater laughed like crazy when the Pred skinned that dude with one pull... looked like a Mortal Combat death. Didn't help the movie that a lot of the gore was CGI.

Nothing much made sense in this movie and it didn't feel like following its own logic, as well as it being far too preoccupied referencing the first movie to try to be its own thing. It went past the line of "loving references" to "ripoff" within 20 minutes. Really, if I had the inclination to watch it again I'd just watch the first movie.

Except the Predators are just... awful. Their masks are freakishly huge compared to the rest of their bodies (more than usual, I mean)

Only thing I could imagine when I read this is one of the Gen Mo Kai characters in Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 with a BigHead mutator on.

Goddamn those were the best days of my life.

Only thing I could imagine when I read this is one of the Gen Mo Kai characters in Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 with a BigHead mutator on.

Goddamn those were the best days of my life.

What ever happened to the "BigHead" and the like cheats? :(

I miss when everything had, like, 3 pages of cheatcodes.

Archived