Prime

Some other trailers -

Brutal Combat (Extended):

[youtube=hd]6OLJIFAy2Tw

Blood and Steel:

[youtube=hd]ZcUUwIQ6csc

Art Direction:

[youtube=hd]OLG15ONY-vI

For the combat it seems they are going for a similar thing to Dragon Age's slo-mo deathblows and blood, without going into full retardo gib-fest mode like DA2 did.

The "blood and steel" trailer makes it look a bit hack-and-slash, but I'm just going to tell myself that it's because they're just trying to showcase the combat as much as possible.

On the other hand, the character customization looks pretty good.

Always did love middle-earth, looking forward to this game very much!

I don't really understand why the idea of pointless, unaffecting dismemberment and decapitation is considered a selling point amongst so many.

I also fail to see how making a game based around such a thing is 'closer' to Tolkien's original vision. As I understand it, The Lord of the Rings was created to give the languages he was designing a universe in which to live and have significance. Does the blood spill out in some dark and long-obscured tongue? It is also, in the tradition of Anglo-Saxon/Virgilian lament, most certainly not a glorification of violence but a weeping for the age and state of the world.

I like dismembering people as much as the next guy, but I have to admit it did look out of place to me. It's one thing if you are slicing and dicing people with a lightsaber, but that sort of thing with medieval weaponry is a bit over the top. Like I said though, at least they didn't go completely crazy with it like DA2 did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Can I ask something here.

Why do we wait a couple days after when games are released in America? The games have already been shipped to stores, obviously, so why the added wait?

This isn't a complaint. Serious, curious question.

Someone really needs to ask an industry analyst this.

• 2 weeks later...

Tom Bombadil, Tom Bombadillo, bright blue his jacket is and his boots are yellow.

Tom, IMHO, is an avatar of Eru Illuvatar, the maker. Could be an Ainur as DP supposes, but to quote Tolkien, "Tom was here first." Goldberry the River Daughter had substantial magic as well...

The Elves always had and made magic, just in a different sense than the Maiar. They put their "magic" into what they made, ie: Feanor and the Silmarils, Galadriel's unbreakable hair, the rope of the Lothlorien elves, etc.

Back to the topic - guess I'll be interested if it is reviewed well by you peeps.

• 1 month later...

Dunno if anyone here remember(or knows about) this site, figured i'd point it out in case people want to use their own names for characters. :) (i'm assuming that you can name your own characters in this game)

Elves: http://www.chriswetherell.com/elf/

Hobbit: http://www.chriswetherell.com/hobbit/

My elven name: Golradir Séregon

My hobbit name: Wilibald Brockhouse of Loamsdown

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing this and I am through the first chapter or two. This is definitely a labor of love, with very nice environments and that are reflective but not copies of the films and loads of references to obscure Middle-earth lore and characters. The gameplay is basic hack and slash, but if you liked the style of the LOTR movie games you really enjoy this. I think the reviews I've read have been a little harsh, and I am enjoying it quite a bit for what it is.

The RPG elements, such as they are, contain:

Dialog:

There are dialog trees for NPCs you can talk to in various locations. So far I have been to Bree, Rivendell, and the Rangers' camp in the Shire. There are several characters, both familar, canon and not. There are no moral choices or anything like that. In that sense the PCs are pre-defined, which I think is ok considering the universe. From what I have seen so far, it is basically a way to get information about the world and characters, and get quests.

But there is a lot of detailed info about places and people from the Tolkien mythology, which I enjoyed. One moment that I really liked was that you can ask Gandalf why the eagles don't just fly the Ring to Mount Doom, and he basically explains in detail why that idea wouldn't work and is stupid. :)

Character Progression:

There isn't really much in terms of personal story, but you can progress them in terms of stats, which in turn affects damage potential and things like that. And there are skills that are specific to each character, and cover ranged weapons, melee weapons, and special abilities. They leave a lot of freedom to how you progress them, and you can put multiple points into the same skill to improve it, or spend fewer points in each skill and progress up the tree. As a result you can get completely differently functioning characters, i.e. a Ranger that is totally melee or ranged, or a mix. You can also change their appearance by mixing faces, hair, beards, and so on.

Gear Progression:

There are loads of weapons and armour of all types, with a fairly large set of stats. So far for me some of the armour uses the same model, but I think all the models look great and very LotR-esque. Armour also has various pieces and can be mixed and matched, like shoulder guards, boots, gauntlets, and the like. You can have two-handed weapons, one-handed, shields, and dual wield. There are also gems that can be applied to some items to give them extra abilities. Basically, most of the progression is based on the gear side.

Archived