Home

Old games for a horrible laptop

mur'phon

Okay, so I have been stuck with a more than four years old laptop that was bad even when new, and showing enough wear and tear to make its specs fairly meaningles (the most graphic intensive game I was able to run on it was Startopia, and then only the first levels). While this means I have got to play (and finish) many games I otherwise might not (ex: Deus ex, Torment), I'm now running out of good ones to play. So if you guys could share your favorite oldies I'd be gratefull.

It can barely run Startopia and it's "more than 4 years old"? Huh.

Apart from the ones Parry has listed above:

LucasArts adventure games (Monkey Islands 1, 2, 3 maybe 4; Grim Fandango, Full Throttle) The 2D ones should work, the 3D ones will have to be tested. If they do, there's a chance the wonderful The Longest Journey would as well.

Should work no problem:

Age of Empires 1, 2

Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds

Cultures (might be a rare game, and not very good, but nostalgia points)

Patrician I/II/III (same as above)

Anno 1602 (joining the above two)

Unreal Tournament (if DX works, this works, no story though)

Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura

Claw (surprisingly fun old platformer)

Sanitarium

System Shock 2 (may have to lay off the new mods that make the game look better)

Civilization III (no idea if will work, but it's 2D), failing that, Civ II

Descent 1, 2, 3

Age of Wonders (1 at least)

Myst series

Text adventure games, like Hitchhiker or A Mind Forever Voyaging

SWAT 3

May or may not work:

Braid

MechWarrior 4

Sacrifice

Homeworld

Shogun: Total War

Clive Barker's Undying (while based off Unreal engine, it's a little heavier than DX and UT)

Machinarium

Battle Realms

Europa Universalis 1, 2

Max Payne

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

World of Goo

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis

Crysis

LucasArts adventure games
Add Maniac Mansion and especially Day of the Tentacle to those. I loves me some SCUMM.

Also the X-Wing games would be worth a try, and if you like flight sims Gunship 2000 was a real favourite of mine back in the day. For strategy games, Colonization was my preference to Civilization. There are also the early Command & Conquer and Red Alert entries.

Crysis
Lol.

Sabre already listed the ones I would have said (Age of Empires and Galactic Battlegrounds), but I see he also recommended SWAT 3... If that's your kind of thing, I'd recommend the the original Rainbox Six and it's sequel Rogue Spear.

• 2 weeks later...

My 12 year old computer with a 6 year old video card and 512 mb of ram could play stalker clear sky, how bad can it really be. And to top you off to make myself feel tougher, when my laptop was being repaired by the idiots at Asus support for 2 and a half months, I had to use a 5 year old laptop with a broken graphics card. Like totally broken. It didn't think it had one. Age of Empires 1 was the only thing it could run. And put put saves the zoo. Thank god for put put

Archived