Home

New Nintendo Console Coming In 2012

Boba Rhett

It's an all new console from what the article says - an outright replacement for the Wii, not an add-on.

An interesting move given that they are already doing well with the Wii and the 360/PS3 replacements probably aren't due for a few years yet. They are in kind of a no-man's land hardware release-wise. When Sony and MS do eventually release new hardware, the Wii's successor will be once again underpowered in comparison.

http://www.twilightlynk.com/2011/04/15/wii-2-predictions/ (even though that link is already in my sig)

I expected Nintendo to make the first move simply because this is the first console they've released which is underpowered compared to their competitors.

They've successfully captured a new audience and have pleased the usual Nintendo franchise fan base with a variety of games. They are doing very well as DP said, however they are lacking as well.

They are really hurting when it comes to third party support, and I have a feeling they'll be pushing forward this new console in order to win back third party support early on before Sony and Microsoft have a chance to release their next gen consoles which will obviously be more powerful than "Wii 2" in the years to come.

So basically, they're using the same tactic Microsoft used with the 360... catch em early and try to get as much support as possible in that first year or two.

However, the real key for Nintendo is for them to hold the third party support long enough to sway enough of the hardcore fan base into buying their new console.

It's a smart move actually... they're not going to really piss off their new fan base and it's pretty hard to piss off their more loyal fans.

I hope they do actually and do a simultaneous release for both Wii and Wii 2. It worked very well with Twilight Princess. Plus, I don't really mind if they delay it and neither do the other fans of Zelda games (who are the only people who buy Zelda games nowadays anyway) since a delayed Zelda game for whatever reason is a good thing.

I feel like they should have done the same thing with Pokemon Black and White and the 3DS... if they had delayed it and made it a 3DS launch title then it would've launched the 3DS out of the gate pretty quickly. That said, I can understand why they didn't since Nintendo are usually terrible with supplying hardware during the launch phase of their consoles/handhelds.

2012? That's a bit quick, isn't it? As I recall, the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are due to remain in use until 2015. On the other hand, in strict hardware terms, the Wii is considerably less powerful than the other two, so I suppose it's understandable.

Actually... Wii launched in 2006, if Wii 2 launches in 2012 it will be 6 years of Wii goodness... which is actually right on track. Nintendo have always run on this 6 year-ish time frame... so yeah, they're right on track. The GameCube and N64 both had a 6 year life cycle too... I'm not sure about the SNES and can't be bothered looking it up, but this is the way they've been operating for years.

Actually... Wii launched in 2006, if Wii 2 launches in 2012 it will be 6 years of Wii goodness... which is actually right on track. Nintendo have always run on this 6 year-ish time frame... so yeah, they're right on track. The GameCube and N64 both had a 6 year life cycle too... I'm not sure about the SNES and can't be bothered looking it up, but this is the way they've been operating for years.

I'm just saying that I don't see why Nintendo couldn't give it a longer life cycle. I mean the Xbox 360's life cycle is aiming for at least ten years, and the PlayStation 3's is probably going to be even longer, based on life cycles of the PlayStations 1 and 2.

Because that's not how Nintendo rolls.

After all these years, what makes you think Nintendo has ever played by anyone else's rules? They may continue Wii along side the new console for a year or two more after Wii 2 is released... but they're not going to go by Microsoft and Sony's lead on any of this.

I'm just saying that I don't see why Nintendo couldn't give it a longer life cycle. I mean the Xbox 360's life cycle is aiming for at least ten years, and the PlayStation 3's is probably going to be even longer, based on life cycles of the PlayStations 1 and 2.
Well actually the original PlayStation launched in 1994, the PS2 in 2000 and the PS3 in 2006. So 6 years is as close to an "industry standard" as you're going to get, the major difference is that Sony supports multiple generations of their console at a time. The original Playstation received new games well into the PS2 era (if you'll remember launch PS2 games even sold on CD's rather than DVD's). Meanwhile the PS2 is still releasing new games and it is about 10.5 years old.

The Xbox and the 360 were kind of a special circumstance, the original box was launched about a year and a half after the PS2 and it had a hard time cutting into that PS2 install base especially since the PS2 had all that steam it picked up with its fan base carried over from the PS1 as well as massive support from 3rd party developers. So while the Xbox was relatively successful MS jumped the gun on the next generation and launched the 360 after only 4 years of Xbox and it definitely worked out in their favor.

Long story short, a 2012 launch for the next Nintendo console isn't wholly unexpected or unpredictable. I do agree that Sony and MS don't also need to hit that 2012 launch window for their next console. People as consumers tend to be moved into action more aggressively via tangible differences, things we can blatantly see and hear, etc. With the graphical leaps from the PS1/N64 era to the PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox era and again to the PS3/360 era the improvements were very easy to see. I just don't see that level of graphical improvement coming with the next set of consoles, I expect them to pack more power in their processing of things like physics, a.i. and the ability to display more objects on screen at a time. Those types of things aren't as easily seen by the average consumer/user. However, the people that are pushing for the next iterations of consoles are the developers, Yves Guillemot, the CEO of Ubisoft has been especially vocal about this.

I just don't see that level of graphical improvement coming with the next set of consoles
I wouldn't agree with that exactly. There is quite a bit of room for improvement there, but the real question is whether your average console player would actually notice the difference.

One of the simplest things the next generation of consoles can do is drastically up the amount of RAM they have, both system and video. That will help out tremendously in a number of areas, even if the rest of the hardware only saw marginal improvements.

Archived