Home

KOTOR III

christos200

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
the Contract had run out, so they decided not to renew it and keep the "Fresher" MMO as the flagship.

I have mixed to indifferent feelings on this. Obviously since I've never played Galaxies or TOR I couldn't say which I like(d) more but I'm sure there were quite a few up in arms over the issue.

Why not get some emulator and a server...or even have a server of your own, and just host galaxies freebo? Seems to be the fix for decomissioned MMOs.

Hosting it yourself would cost a hefty amount if you're taking into account all of the Galaxies fans that plan to jump onto your sever.

For those here who liked KOTOR/TSL but dislike TOR, I'm wondering what your reasons are, apart from monthly fee, etc. I'm level 18 and I don't know how many hours in (40?), and it pretty much feels like a much expanded KOTOR, give or take.

No hatin', just curious.

For me, the fact that Bioware/LA developed a game within the overall KOTOR genre but was not a KOTOR III says to me that any remaining likelihood of a KOTOR III occurring is greatly diminished if not destroyed entirely. Which means that we will likely never get a physical manifestation in RPG video-game format of what happened in the storyline immediately following TSL with regards to Revan, the Exile, and the party characters from the first two games. I would sort of compare it to reading the first two Tolkien novels in the LOTR trilogy with the third book never being released. I never got to experience the end of the arc, and never got any sort of closure. Although TOR does not have much to do with this lacking of closure directly (except for the tidbits of info on the Exile and the scenes with Revan) its mere existence in my estimation is a reminder of how I will never see that closure.

Besides those feelings, I also dislike TOR because of its MMORPG format. I'm a KOTOR fanboy, and I like to think that the story I developed playing KOTOR and TSL was as much uniquely mine as possible. That feeling gets lost (at least to me) somewhat when completing a quest I see another real player in the game, especially when they have a vulgar screen name (ex: something like...luvs2splurge; well this is not that vulgar but I think you get the point). This occurs a lot, especially during my short tenure playing WoW. That atmosphere makes the game feel arcadey to me and lessens the experience of the game. It serves as a reminder that this is not a thrilling story that I'm creating with my choices and actions, but just a video game filled with other real people doing the exact same thing. Obviously, with every video game this is the case, but I don't see that when playing RPG's like Skyrim, KOTOR, Mass Effect etc. The only characters I encounter are NPC and the only real person they react to is me. For a story-driven game, I prefer that dynamic.

I've never played TOR, it might be a very good game on its own merit (as proven by the many who play it), but for what it does to the canon of Revan and the Exile, and because it is a KOTOR game in MMORPG format I dislike it.

For those here who liked KOTOR/TSL but dislike TOR, I'm wondering what your reasons are, apart from monthly fee, etc. I'm level 18 and I don't know how many hours in (40?), and it pretty much feels like a much expanded KOTOR, give or take.

No hatin', just curious.

Prime, I know there some people who dislike TOR simply because it isn't KIII. I don't dislike it, in fact I'm in love with the graphics and the gameplay and story are very much like Kotor1. I think that a lot of us just figured that with the huge gap between when TSL and TOR came out that there could have been a III part released, hopefully something that would have shed some light on that downer/cliffhanger ending that was K2. I'm all for TOR, I still would like a KIII if it ever happens even if it's for the next gen of consoles.

Besides those feelings, I also dislike TOR because of its MMORPG format.
Can't argue with that...

I'm a KOTOR fanboy, and I like to think that the story I developed playing KOTOR and TSL was as much uniquely mine as possible.
That makes sense to me too, but are you sure this isn't a argument for not making KOTOR III. I mean if they make a third game, wouldn't they have to use a default choices (canon Revan and canon Exile)? Wouldn't that make your story's uniqueness moot?

That feeling gets lost (at least to me) somewhat when completing a quest I see another real player in the game, especially when they have a vulgar screen name (ex: something like...luvs2splurge; well this is not that vulgar but I think you get the point). This occurs a lot, especially during my short tenure playing WoW. T
That happens zero, none nought, nil with TOR for me, why because; 1. TOR controls what names can be used. 2. You can turn off name plates. 3. Sure some quest you will see people also doing the quest, but many of the important and class quest you get your own instance, so there is no one else around unless you are doing the quest with a group of friends.

For a story-driven game, I prefer that dynamic.
Again, can't argue with that, but TOR gave me that. No clue about other MMOs, like WOW, have not played them, but my understanding is that unlike TOR they are not story driven.

but for what it does to the canon of Revan and the Exile, and because it is a KOTOR game in MMORPG format I dislike it.
I feel the same way, but then I would feel the same way about a KOTOR III RPG if my playthroughs of KOTOR and TSL meant nothing and they went with canon Revan and canon Exile. :)

I actually play and enjoy TOR again now because I hit 50, strange I know as a massive amount of people hate post-50.

for me it was for the reasons mentioned in this thread, It wasn't my story, it was everyones story, and there are no real choices in the end, Companions arent unique, neither is gear or appearance choices. I hated every second of the leveling process, and I hit that space bar like a man possessed, I have no idea what I did or said for 49 levels, I just clicked space bar and attacked the guy with the red nameplate.

But, now I'm 50 I can log in, PVP, do some Ops, RP with my friends and do what MMO's do. I love this game for what it is, but it is in no shape or form an acceptable replacement for KotOR III. Love the Lore, RP, Graphics, CGI Trailers, PVP (Still low standard, but I expect changes in 1.2)

With the changes coming in the next patch, and hopefully Server transfers, appearance tab and barber shop coming one day, this is a great MMO, and I'm happy playing it, but they shouldn't of put so much money and effort in to a story I cannot enjoy due to the nature of how I like to play MMO's.

SPRPG's Rule, MMO's Rule, but they dont work together.

SPRPG's Rule, MMO's Rule, but they dont work together.
They don't work for everyone together...I can't image putting in the amount of time I have put into this game without the story. I love it, but then again I've always hated the premise of MMOs. That does not mean MMOs are not great and wonderful games, just that they are not for me.

adamqd, what class were you? Or was it not the story that mattered, just the concept. I tried the Jedi and Sith, but so far the only stories that have captured my attention were the smuggler, agent and trooper.

adamqd, what class were you? Or was it not the story that mattered, just the concept. I tried the Jedi and Sith, but so far the only stories that have captured my attention were the smuggler, agent and trooper.

I have a level 50 BM (Valor 63) Sorcerer, and I love post-50, its what I do in MMO's. I have limited time so I like to log on, PVP bit of RP, look around and Log. While I was leveling I only had an hour or two at a time, and that sent me crazy! It takes that long to get from the fleet to your quest on some planets so I was leveling horrifically slow, and there was too much time between stories so I grew completely disconnected from my adventure. So at around level 32 I just spaced bar raged it all and shot for goal. I prefer my SPRPG quality stories to be in an SPRPG setting, its my story not 600,000 other Sorcerers :)

I do have a few alts, but again, I cant deal with the linear slow leveling process. I love KotOR, its my favorite game, but when I play MMO's I afk grind to cap, then get geared and create my own story. So yea its the concept more than the writing standard.

That makes sense to me too, but are you sure this isn't a argument for not making KOTOR III. I mean if they make a third game, wouldn't they have to use a default choices (canon Revan and canon Exile)? Wouldn't that make your story's uniqueness moot?

Don't think so. Remember TSL: They go with whatever you choose in conversations. Atton assumes Revan to be female and you can correct him by stating Revan is male or leave it be and Revan will be female. You could do that too, to have your 'unique' development of Revan and the Exile.

for every major choice in both games? That would get old real fast, but pipe dreams are that, just dreams.

I would think only the absolute major plot-affecting choices/biggest details would even be bothered with, minute extras would be a nuissance of time.

I would think only the absolute major plot-affecting choices/biggest details would even be bothered with, minute extras would be a nuissance of time.

So you both are saying Revan and the Exile would not be included in game? Because otherwise their apperence would be a very minor plot-affecting detail, but HUGE in what makes my Revan or Exile mine. That would work, but still suffer the fanboy rage...

So you both are saying Revan and the Exile would not be included in game? Because otherwise their apperence would be a very minor plot-affecting detail, but HUGE in what makes my Revan or Exile mine. That would work, but still suffer the fanboy rage...

Short answer: you can't please everyone, all of the time. Longer answer: "IF" a K3 were ever to be made I wouldn't want to see Revan or Exile physically appear in it, this is kind of the same beef I have with them being in TOR and given 1 official canonical face; it kind of whitewashes the original playthroughs I had with Revan (at least for me anway) because it's like "who's this guy? That's not what (my) Revan looked like!". Now having supporting characters like Carth, Bastila, etc return is a sensible idea, just not as the player character - that role should always be whom the player picks out from the beginning. Besides while I've wanted closure on the whole Revan/Exile story I think that there could be ways to tie up loose ends or at least act as a lead-in to TOR which would explain why they are no longer in the known regions without needing them to physically appear in the game.

Archived