Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

interesting :) Cheers to stream, a mysterious benefactor.

@taak/negsun. You should appear on the ranking page once you complete your first WU.

looking forward to stats bumping up after chainz 280. We're just teetering under the top 10,000 atm.

btw tk > I hear D333 and yourself are cooking up a forum wide announcement. That would be a good idea. There are parts of LFN(eg.swamp) where I no longer traverse in the interests of mental calm ;)

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well..in roughly a days time I've doubled my WU and points score :lol:

Looks to be an average (rough) of about 12 WU / 5,000+ pts a day just on the GPU alone.

I'll leave it at for the moment until I get the system more stable and progz loaded.. but after that, I can probably load up an smp client as well. I want to check the temepratures of the system for a day or 2 and see how well it holds.. so far, so good ;)

5000 PPD/12 WU ... thats great! :)

I was wondering at the the magnitide of difference betweem the G80 and the newer cards.

From a heat/noise perspective, my kit lives in a tiny case, and doesnt have any ill effects. It doesn't throttle your card does like an hour of crysis does ;)

And remember Chainz, folding with CUDA entitles you to all hours access to the Cudettes :p

cudababes.jpg

mtfbwya

Glad Stream joined the team. Now if only he would actually join our social group. :p

So I finally loaded up FahMon and while I knew my numbers weren't going to be stellar 85 PPD just isn't going to cut it.

I was going to get a Radeon HD 4850 but now that I'm doing the F@H thing it seems like a 9800 GTX+ would be the better choice. I'll probably end up getting both cards just because I feel it important to support AMD for making a better product overall, even if F@H performance is significantly behind NVIDIA. Besides, if it means I'll get access to the Cudettes like ChAiNz then that's just the icing on the cake. :brow:

I just checked and Team LFN is now ranked #8853. It looks like ChAiNz's 280 has put us into the top 10,000 folding teams. Astro is sure to be pleased. :)

I was a bit excited about about the 48xx series initially, but that has since waned. AMD need to make a single GPU card that can match the 280+, and can incorporate PhysX. They have only achieved their high end numbers by a creating a X2 card with far too much redudant GDDR5 and the power requirments of a small village.

Lets see what R800 can do :) Hopefully it will fold better too!

mtfbwya

Nice kit chainz. ;) Though I must admit I had a giggle. We all know youve got enough kit to run a space mission, yet you havent gotten around to getting a digital camera yet!? :lol: I can also verify that phonecam pics dont look nice on a 1600p display :p

That GTX280 is the BFG variety? If I may enquire... roughly how much was it and how long is it?!

I hope the 280+ isnt going to be significantly more expensive! We'll find out in a couple of days...

mtfbwya

This is where I bought mine. They have other brands as well.. but I've gone with BFG for quite awhile now and I've always been happy with their product. The OC was just icing.. heheh

http://www.directron.com/egtx2801024oce.html

^^^ They have some really exceptional deals on other items as well..

As far as length, I'd have to measure at home, at work currently, but I'd wager about as long as the 8800GTX. Maybe just slightly a little longer (we're talking micro).

and I do have a camera.. it just isn't charged :lol:

http://www.jumpstationz.com/gallery/czPC/czPC-front2.jpg left middle.. slight corner of it shown just above my mini-dv clamshell :D

Yeah, BFG is a top brand. Like EVGA , any product that gives you a lifetime warranty is made to last. it also makes resale value a bit higher.

However , it probably will be October until I get mine as I'm leaning towards getting a ps3 first (for TFU). I'll wait and see what people say about the demo that's just been released.

That'll give you time to outscore me, with that 1000ppd extra youre clocking :)

mtfbwya

Having some serious issues with F@H currently. I'm not sure if it's the proggie, nVidia drivers or Vista so it may take awhile to troubleshoot... so my WU/score updates will be sporadic to say the least :(

Every single time a new WU is sent/received Vista hard crashes and reboots. It's very annoying and putting gods knows what stress on the system.. so I may have to do a complete Vista re-install (final resort). I'll be playing around with driver switching today to try and root out the problem.

Seems I can't update the Windows Experience Index either without hard-crashing so there's obviously something up with my system, though I'm leaning towards the nVidia driver. :headbump

Anywho, just wanted to let you guys know should you wonder why my output is starting to wane. I'll open a thread in the Tech forums so we don't clutter up the Social Group.. but thought since this problem is affecting the F@H a little notice here wouldn't hurt ;)

@chainz >> you wont be able to update WEI after a new GPU install until you DELETE the old WEI xml data. The offending xml lives in here

C>windows>performance>winsat>datastore

delete, re-run WEI, and see how you go ;) This little glitch has been the cause of many a GPU related hassle. When I first had my 8800GTS, I spent half a day unable to go over 1024x768 and no aero etc. I was contemplating card, driver issues etc, then I stumbled across this tidbit and all was righted :D

welcome to vista :D

mtfbwya

Anybody having problems uploading completed work units? My system hasn't been able to connect to a collection server for the past 24 hours but I downloaded a new work unit from a work server just fine. I know they're different servers but I thought I'd ask.

no probs on my end Charr. I did get that 24 hr timeout, but a quick close/open allowed it to carry on. I still havent had the time to look into it a bit further

Milestones/Updates:

*We've gone well past the 100K points/300 WU Mark

*In the top 7000

*Char, Stream and tk treading along nicely

@tk - are you running any SMP clients? You must be surely...

Im sure once chainz sorts his 280 out, he can continue demolishing WUs. If he kept that thing on 24/7 he'd easily overtake my 8800GTS score in about 2-3 weeks ;)

keep up the great work all

mtfbwya

No SMP here, just the plain Jane client with advmethods/forceasm switches turned on. I have E6550 and E6650 CPUs in my work and home PCs and there was some mention that although these dual-cores could run SMP, they were also prone to problems. I decided to go with the slow-and-steady approach instead. If I play my cards right, there's a chance in the not-too-distant future a foxy admin might regift her 8800GTS to me. :brow::p

want a 280? :xp:

Because mine sure as heck doesn't like me, and I'm so wracked atm I could probably kick it to Oregon :lol:

Sad thing is, once I do get it to work (not "IF" darn it all) I'm sure I'll take back all the bad things I think about nVidia atm.. hehehe

I'm obviously in need of lazr glasses to figure this sucker out :nut:

*Chainz suddenly looks foxy too*

With everybody upgrading lately I admit that I spent a long portion of yesterday drooling over vid cards and mobos when I should've been working. It's not like I play the latest video games or anything (redoing Tachyon: The Fringe, a space sim from 8 years ago -- tie in to Bruce Campbell fan club for +bonus social points!).

Is it it just me or is the emotional gravity that draws one to buying big-rig computing gear similar to the "need" to drive a more powerful car?

My my aren't I off topic. Oh yes, folding! Go team! :)

foxy admin? What is Kurgz up to these days ;)

My 8800GTS will eventually go down the same path.. I am hoping a folding team member is intrested in a bargain ;)

In the interim, I closely watch(and try to assist) chainz ongoing 280 saga...

@chainz >> I was just chatting to a friend of mine here in Oz who crammed a 280 into the shuttle SN27P2(like mine) recently and switched to vista x64.

Not having any problems, playing games like ME and crysis like a madman. Using 177.89 IIRC. (Already folds for sudhian...drats!)

@tk >. yes, the e-penis desire to upgrade is exactly like the urge that drives the pimp my ride types ;) Though I daresay GPU related endeavours are less impressive to girls :p

mtfbwya

Archived