Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

I had some grief with the smp client, but it seems network congestion I was experiencing was messing with my compy talking to stanford ;) all fixed now..

@chainz, you should be able to do most standard processes whilst still having your GPU client running. With each client, the use of the CPU is less and less. They have quite clearly stated that they are moving to a GPU client optimises this even further.

Also, for those of you with multi core rigs... I got a bit curious and added the -smp flag to the smp client....

It sure throttles both cores to 100%, but for your troubles, points awarded for 1WU go from 292 to 1920! dont tell tk!

now, if only I had a quaddie ! :p

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, alot of restarting was involved after installs/Windows Update.. so I just kept it off ;)

The stress tests I ran for 2 days did, like you said, allow F@H to stay open.. it's just easier leaving it off if you know a restart is in the future.. hehe

For the most part though, yeah, F@H is on and folding.

Still haven't messed with the smp client yet. I can only imagine what torture and heat generation it will cause, so I may experiment later.. AFTER I get all the big stuff installed, backed up, system restore pointed and drive imaged (paranoid.. yes I am)... :lol:

Of course there is a plateau chainz. Check the scores for the lowest ranked teams at the EOC rankings... I call it the 'thin geek line' it's what separates fly-by-nighters from a dedicated folding crew.. :p

Edit: Not related to Folding, but seeing all the ribbing I get about my gripes with the social networking that has raped the moral fabric of societal modes of interpersonal communication, many may find it amusing to know that I have posted by my first ever blog here Its not that interesting unless you are a htpc user

It reads like a FAQ/how to, not unlike alot of the stuff Ive done here, but I have posted it in a blog as I wanted to keep it separate from the spammage in the main forum and because a couple of mods are pricks and it pisses them off :p A cpl of weeks ago...despite being very highly ranked contributor I had the bizarre honor of being the only person ever (temp) banned from that place...

It might sound weird, but even though the site has a Windows banner, its heavily frequented by Linux fans, some of whom happen to be staffers. I got banned for poking fun at their love of penguins :( [/end miniblog]

enough malarky, on with the folding...!!!

>> I noticed the total team count has gone over 140K finally.... Let's hope theyre chumps, and not dudes like that one who built a folding farm with over 50 8500s..... :loco: <<<best smiley in universe

mtfbwya

lolz... I just had a look back on it.. hello kitty...hehehe

http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/community/media-center-news/31219-microsoft-officially-announce-fiji-oem-only-5.html

posts 44 and 45 are the main ones.. I got ninja banned, I logged in to check stuff and got "You are banned" , no warning, nothing :D

Site owner(Mike) waited for me to come back and have a chance to respond (page 7) before closing it down. He's a funny one that Mike, last year he *sold* the site to a commercial interest. Myself and others canned him for it, I was even quoted in online tech articles and a national newspaper :D I left the site and started working at the US equivalent, "The Green Button"

...about a year later it was announced that the commercial interest had gone bankrupt, so the site will be going back to needing user donations to keep the server up etc. Soon after, I returned. Some members including these linux people have been quite rude ever since, but the site founder was cool as my main activity there is helping newbies(not getting into flambeaux)

mtfbwya

welcome to the group Da-man :D

Will you be joining the folding adventure with us?

Update

*Astro breaks 300 WUs, even more hearts

*Chainz and his 280 of doom crush towards 200 WUs

*Charr Ell going strong towards 20, tk still kickin A with the std client

*Team score cracks 200K. Ranked in top 5000(still)

Of course, climbing rankings from here on is going to be a more gradual process, but never fear, I have a plan[/blackadder] :p

keep on truckin' teamLFN :D

mtfbwya

great stuff da_man!

which client are you using, what specs?

keep up the great work all!

@Char - with points like that, Im guessingyour using the smp client?

@Chainz - congrats! ...a dualboot is the most comprehensive and sensible compatibility strategy. If only others were as practical and driven by common sense...! vista isnt about backwards compatability, not at all! anyone who gets it with that in mind is in for a world of pain, 80s WWF style !

mtfbwya

@Char - with points like that, Im guessingyour using the smp client?
You wound me deeply, Astro. :p

Haven't I been talking about getting a new graphics card? I installed my new 9800 GTX+ last weekend and made the switch to the GPU2 client now that I have a card that supports CUDA. :) Unfortunately my CPU cooler isn't working so well anymore so I'm going to have to limit my folding until I can get that replaced.

lolz.. I didnt know you had gotten it yet :D But thats good..

what driver version are you using ??

Im having no probs with the 177.92 betas

Those that are driverjunkies super keen, can try the 177.98 betas

one shouldnt sneeze at the smp client though.

[dont press if you dont like talking about points]

in fact, if you run the smp client with the -smp flag

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
on 3/4 cores on a quaddie, you'll get almost 6000PPD
without even needing a CUDA hard...

Couple that with a GPU client and youre talking alotta dang PPD

mtfbwya

Using 177.79 drivers. Have had some early work unit ends with these but think I need to get my hardware fully stabilized before l get too concerned about that. What do you think? I can't run more than 20% CPU utilization without going over 60 degrees Celsius so I had to throttle down the GPU client.

Since I'm running a P4 processor I don't think the SMP client is even an option for me, right? Maybe when I go to a Bloomfield processor next year I'll give it a whirl.

The GPU client should tax the CPU minimally. (5-10% Im observing)

A P4 at 60C on load, surely not![/sarcasm]

Entirely normal for a P4 on air :D I have one in my htpc, never seen it below 56C, damn netburst :D

My x2 6000 is sitting at low-mid 50sC for folding. Which I am entirely happy with, considering what Im doing, my case etc.

Sure it 29-30 on idle, but idle means 'doing nothing', so whats the use in that :D

You can try the SMP client without the smp flag, thats less stressful, gives you a 480 ppwu.

If temps are a concerm, maybe an extra fan may help, fold in bursts or scale back as you have done ;)

UPDATE:

*We're just about to enter the top 4000... how bout that :p

*With Charr as the 3rd GPU client on board, I officially declare us a 10,000+ PPD team \o/

I just got these developed today... when I hit 300 WUs.

One of the Cudettes sang a song

cudette.jpg

and the shuttle-ettes danced a jig :p

shuttlebabes.jpg

Later, we retired to the official F@H jacuzzi. for some cocktails and enlightened debate about 'Points v WUs'

these are the riches that await you, folders! :D:loco:

mtfbwya

Cude-ettes / Shuffle-ettes :drool1: oh huh.. wha? Where am i? ;)

177.98 beta drivers suKk0rz. Every time I reboot, it auto-set my DV to 100% (Digital Vibrance). No matter if I set my profile, apply changes, etc. It would always reset. Other than that, I'm not sure it warrants the "suKk0rz" tag, but it's enough to be a gripe of mine ;)

I reset back to 177.92.. fixed.

Grats on the GPU client (and smexay vid card) Char :D

Also, yeah I throttle down folding as well... since while it's not much, it still taxes the system if I have it running while trying to get some work done :fist:

It's pretty much off if I'm home and my lazy arse is in front of the computer (other than web browsing). However it's on 100% while I'm sleeping or at work.. or just away from the computer. Still seem to kick out some numbers, and since it's no race.. no worries. Still want that 3,000 rank though ;)

So I removed the cooler with the failing fan and replaced it with the stock CPU cooler that came with my P4. Not an ideal replacement but I forgot that I still had the stock cooler so I figured I would use it instead of spending money on a new one. I'm going to let the Arctic Silver set for a few days before I go full bore again.

The GPU client should tax the CPU minimally. (5-10% Im observing)
Really? Hmmm... I go to configure on my GPU client and on the Advanced tab set the CPU Usage Percent to the middle hash mark and my CPU utilization for the particular core my current WU is running on stays in the 25-27% range. I had originally thought I could run a CPU client and a GPU client together but when I realized that the GPU client was going to eat up as many CPU cycles as my CPU client was (though of course with much more overall folding capability) I dropped that idea and settled on running just the GPU client.

P.S. RAWWWRRRR at the Cudettes and Shuttlettes. Looking forward to that WU vs. points discussion in the hot tub when I make it to 300 WU's. :brow: And congrats on that Astro. :thumbsup:

Well, I've always been interested in F@H, mainly for the shiny protein model screensaver, but also because I was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis at birth, so I guess it is relevant to me. I'm contemplating on installing the GPU client as well, since I just installed a new ATI Radeon HD 2400 Pro with an onboard fan. Now, I'm sure that the client will work with my GPU, but I just want to double check here.

Thanks. :)

welcome to teamLFN PastramiX! Glad to have you on board.

The ATI 2xxx series does indeed work with the GPU2 client

heres a Readme

here's the download page

let is know if you need any setup assistance.

good luck ;)

UPDATES:

*Team passes 250K points mark

*Chainz passes 100K points mark

*Passing 700WU soon

*Firmly in top 4000, ploughing onwards :p

mtfbwya

Running the SMP client on my work computer (E6550) since 9/8/2008. Work units are valued about 1500-2000 points each and they take about 2.5 days for me to complete. CPU has been holding steady at 52C and 100% usage for the past week and no noticeable slowdown in work performance. The fact that the cores are being run with Idle priority is crucial I think in this regard. :p

Archived