Home

folding@teamLFN

ChAiNz.2da

just some ground rules about posting pics:

*logo and hardware pics = good.

*pics of yours (or anyones) ripped abs = bad.

An FYI, there will be intermittent pauses on the nvGPU client for a little while.. Ive got my hands on Mass Effect and its oh so pretty :) Of course, due to my epilepsy I can only have 30 min jaunts a few times a day at maximum, so plenty of foldin will still get done...

top 10% 'ere we come ;)

mtfbwya

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what client are you using tk?

you might have got a bad WU or corrupted CPmarker, they happen :(

some people always back up their queue and work folders in a separate location to avoid such circumstances.

Edit: chainz and tk about to clock double figures, Ive hit 60.

Now, where are the groupies we were promised :p

mtfbwya

Firstly, WELCOME Taak!!

If lag becomes too annoying, just switch off or pause the client for whenever you are gaming. I do for mass effect and my tuesday gaming nights(where we mostly play FIFA 08 at 1900x1200) :p

If you get just a little lag, you can scale back the CPU utilisation in config settings and see if that helps.

If you have setup your client and inputted our team number(140370) correctly, bookmark this page so you can follow how you and your team-mates are doing.

*Update*

We've nearly broken into the top 10%. Keep up the great work team! It would be great if we can eventually get into the vaunted Top 3000 as listed at folding@Extreme overclocking. When we get som other GPU rigs (and my upcoming Ps3) up and running, I think we can definitely crack the top 3000 by the end of the year(or earlier).

Still, 30K points within a week is nothing to sneeze at ;)

Interesting to note, one of my former teams is hovering at no2 :p (overclockers Australia) I only used to fold occasionally for them, and just the standard client only. Since getting up here Its been 24/7 from 2 CPUS and almost that for the GPU...would only ever do that for LFN ;)

mtfbwya

Grr.. well, for some reason the last large WU I was working either failed, flopped or didn't get counted.. (was a 2500 frame) now I'm on a 500 frame one and it seems to stall intermittently. I'm wondering if due to the stall, it's not making deadline therefore not counting. Meh... just a few more days and I'll not have to worry over this :xp:

Anyone else having problems with WU stalling?

not making a deadline is a possibility. What does the log say??

congrats to 'Stream'(Taak?) on completing their first WU :) Great stuff from tk and Char over the last few days too :)

keep up the super work all :)

Well in the top 10% now, next goal, top 10,000. A week maybe?

mtfbwya

The -advmethods parameter seems to be providing a substantial increase in points/day. http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2241 By specifying this in the client's shortcut (eg. right-click Properties, set Target to "C:\Program Files\Folding@Home\winFAH.exe" -advmethods), your client will begin requesting experimental WU that are relatively small, fast, and have bonus point multiplier of x1.5 or x2.0 attached. These aren't available for SMP or GPU clients however.

ah, I was wondering why youve doubled your WUs in rhe space of a couple of days :)

cheers for that tk, i'll deploy if on the htpc, which is the only one running the standard client atm.

It'd also be great for anyone else running the standard client to do so as well :)

Ive noticed the SMP client generally gets 50-10%. extra points than the standard client. I wonder what tweaks are possible for it.....

I'm actually a bit under the weather at the moment, so might look into it when him feeling more spritely.

Btw- this probably only applies to me and chainz, but nvidia have released an update for their CUDA drivers. These drivers also include physX support and an nvidia specific f@h client. It is important to note these are different to the current standard WHQL drivers. Download links are in the "important updates" thread in the tech forum.

mtfbwya

whoa, check out this guys folding farm... 51 8800 GPUs. An estimated 200,000+ points per day. Apparently, his motivation comes from real life cancer patients he has met at his parents Care Hospice. Which makes it slightly better than if he did all that just for points and bragging rights.

http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/370859-nitteo-s-f-h-gpu2-farm.html

still, I wonder about the environmental impact of such a rig.

mtfbwya

Wow, that farm is hella-kewl :eek::D

Thanks for the info on the new CUDA and PhysX driver :thumbsup:

I've been doing some reading and found out that you can run the physX on a seperate card! Which means I could pop in an old 8500 card I had just to run PhysX alone... time for me to do some planning. Looks like I'll already need to upgrade my mobo before I get this new one in :xp:

Ahh well.. something for the future I guess... hehehe. I'll see how well this current rig will do first once I get the parts in to assemble. :lol:

I was wondering who Stream was too.

So from my initial research it seems like a Radeon HD 4850 doesn't match the folding performance of a GeForce 9800 GTX+. Anybody have any input on this or ideas how to tell which of those two have better folding performance?

Not sure to be honest.. I'd have to go article hunting. Admittedly though, I'm an nVidia fanboi.. whether ATI or nVidia has the fastest card out.. I'll always still own an nVidia.

However I'd think there would be comparable stats. The only thing I think would really lean towards the nVidia would be the CUDA enhancements (nVidia has specific driver enhancement just for F@H) Could just be my fanboism coming through :giveup:

@chainz, if you are an nv fanboi, then heres some tech pron for you!

it_photo_99279_26.jpg

New Quadro Plex D series start at $10,750 US ;) 4 x1GB quadro cards no less ! Have a read HERE of its amazing feats at 1080p and 1600p :p

@Char/Chainz

Yep, CUDA is the key. Try running the nvidia client without CUDA drivers :p (You cant!)

negsun posted a link from the 4870X2 folding numbers in the tech news thread... the second GPU could not get going in F@H. The single 4870 averaged aboiut 1500 PPD. On my 8800GTS 640, Im getting just under 4000 PPD, which the 9800GTX will at least equal ;) My ATI 3450 barely gets as much as my SMP client (450 PPD)

Having seen a working 280 in an identical shuttle rig, it looks like the GTX280+ is my next card.

I think stream can only be negsun??.... either that or we have a mystery contributor :p

Maybe its George Lucas :p

UPDATE:

*congrats team...it seems we have inched into the Top 10,000! Lets hope we stay there:p

*Next goal >>> the magical top 3000!

When we enter that vaunted register at EOC, then the babes will come...[/not true] :p

and a special welcome to resident CPU Guru, Qliveur. Knocked his first WU off in record time ;) tk, chainz and char also powering along strongly

>>keep up the good work *all*

mtfbwya

Welcome to chainz 280! :) I recommend fahmon if you want a PPD summary and summary of what points you are getting for that particular WU.

Just one thing chainz, Ive notice my GPU client will complete say 3 or 4 WU and then will say something like "completed max amount according to EUE. Restart in 24 hours"

Closing and reopening this gets rid of it, and the client restarts, but there must be a way to circumvent it. let me know if you find it...Im a bit busy atm to go digging for it

super stuff though, a 280 on the team!

mtfbwya

hmm.. thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely keep an eye open for it :D

Just finished the 7th WU and the 8th re-started fine.. so far, so good. I'll double-check the log once I get home from work this afternoon (which reminds me, I need to start getting ready :xp: )

Archived