Home

The War Against Terrorism...

StormHammer

oh man, how come your aircraft carriers are twice the size of ours?

A few years back I was in Malta at Xmas with my brother (in the RN.)

HMS Invincible had docked next to one of yours (eisenhower?) and Invincible looked absolutely tiny in comparison.

Anyway sorry, just thought i'd say.

wardz

another amusing pic :).....

pity the use of fowl langauge (which is not appreciated here) had to be used to get the message across... may a link to the picture rather than posting it here would be more suitable. you must remember this place caters for youngins too.... not just old(er) people.

Isn't it fitting that 'the Base' can also mean those who are...

abject, contemptible, corrupt, depraved, despicable, dishonourable, disreputable, evil, ignoble, immoral, infamous, scandalous, shameful, sordid, vile, villainous, vulgar, and wicked.

I guess they chose the right name after all.

hey guys.. do you have to go sticking those british flags with the american ones? i wish for once we would think for ourselves and blair would tell bush that all the stuff he is doing is exactly the stuff that made half the world think of the US as their enemy in the first place.

NOw it looks like i am facing ID cards, email monitoring, phone taps etc when i get back to the UK. Strange how the measures governments are taking to defeat terrorists seem like more victories for the terrorists to me.

i wonder if all those rich americans will stop funding the IRA now they have felt what it is like to be on the wrong end of that sort of thing? probably not... :(

no offence or anything, but being around the other side of the world does seem to mean you get a more unbiased coverage of events.

TomS you really need to think about why there is a movement to reduce restrictions on wiretaps and increase security measures, such as identification checks. Could it be that this is a necessary response to the most massive and destructive attack on US soil in its history?

If only we had better wire tapping before September 11. More stringent identification checks. Better airport security. Better followup with INS watchlists. ...So many 'if onlys.'

TomS do you know whether any of the more than six thousand men, women, and children killed on September 11th actively funded the IRA?

Here's a partial list of the victims. How about you name a few names of those who apparently 'deserved it.'

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: Wilhuf ]

The reason why I'm flying those flags is three-fold...

1. I am also expressing solidarity with the US, because no matter what their (or our) foreign policies may be, killing 6 thousand people is one of the most despicable, heinous, unforgiveable crimes against humanity.

2. A lot of people from Great Britain were killed in that attack, and some from Wales (the Welsh flag is not actually a part of the Union Jack for some inconceivable reason, which is why I've included it). They died on US soil, and no doubt had many American friends, so it's a show of respect to them.

3. My nephew (aged 2) is technically an American citizen, because he was born there when my sister and brother-in-law lived in the US for 3 years. So that US flag is also flying for him, because I'm sure that one day he will wish to revisit the land of his birth.

Foreign policies have always been pretty much crap around the world, anyway. Just look what the British (us) managed to achieve while building that Godforsaken Empire. Great Britain is responsible for a lot of pain and suffering in the world today - including our part in creating the situation in the Middle East.

All we can do is try to right the wrongs we've done, learn from our mistakes, and move forward. If we constantly dwell in the past, and take vengeance for what has happened in the past, then the world will never attain peace.

A good Washington Post editorial on the inevitable 'pacifism' arising in the US following the September 11th attacks. Here is a snippet:

Organized terrorist groups have attacked America. These groups wish the Americans to not fight. The American pacifists wish the Americans to not fight. If the Americans do not fight, the terrorists will attack America again. And now we know such attacks can kill many thousands of Americans. The American pacifists, therefore, are on the side of future mass murders of Americans. They are objectively pro-terrorist.

Peolple I just had to say something. Frist and foremost I agree that the persons who organised this attacks should be brought to justice. But the means by which this is done is my concern. Guns, bombs etc I say no. If we're not careful we'll have a full global war on our hands.

Archived