Home

A little news about the evil overlord

WD_ToRMeNt

If nobody was buying it they wouldn't be so big anyway, so they must be doing something right...

If opensource was so great, why is "nobody" using it? If it was as populair as Microsoft it wouldn't be free anymore, because you need recourses and manpower to develop a large scale product like that...

Opensource works because it is small scale, and I hope for the sake of opensource it stays small scale, otherwise it will become a second Microsoft.

It's just the rules of the game.

I have never used Linux or Unix but I do believe they're good products. They're just not good enough for the mass market or even targeted at the mass market. Can you see the average AOL using person use Unix? I don't think so...

I use w2k and win98 and I must say I'm really happy with w2k.

And I don't support Software Piracy. It's a shame that they attack Microsoft and not the government of this country. They're the ones that spend a ****load of money on stupid crap and no money on education.

Just MHO... :cool:

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: Roger ]

Rog I doubt you have any idea about what you are talking about. 40% of webservers on the net run apache, which is open source. Linux accounts for roughly 25% of all servers on the net, and is the fastest growing server OS.

Not only that, but certain departments of the US gov are switching to open source servers and workstations, along with schools and buisnesses. Gov and private institutions all over the world are switching to linux.

Linux as an everyday desktop has advanced rapidly and continues to make unbelievable progress. There are many thousands of programmer constantly updating and inproving linux and open source applications. There is simply no way M$ or any other company can keep pace with the army of linux programmers are far as updates and improvements. Linux does offer serveral advantages to the home user. Not all linux programs are open source. The number of companies writing proprietary software for linux is growing.

Serveral of the first rate online games (SoF, T2, SC3k just to name a few) have linux versions. Linux is growing, and it will continue to grow.

OK I forgot a couple things. One, I have a growing repsect for AoL. They are taking M$ head on and I admire that. Also they are ensuring that netscape is a viable alternative to IE. I appriaciate them making a linux client because it will help it to become more main stream in the home environment. It's still a net newbie ISP though.

Secondly, why do people by M$ OSes and software? Perhaps it's better to ask "do you really have a choice?" Thanks to the rise of linux, yes we do. It is possible to run IE, Outlook, Excel, Word, and the rest of office in linux. This technology is coming along well. Also there is an open source alternative in Sun's StarOffice.

[ August 02, 2001: Message edited by: -WD- ToRMeNt ]

I actually agree, torment. Basically it is more appropriate to ask 'do we have a choice?'

The reason I use win98SE is because I want to ensure maximum compatibility of my OS, drivers and PC hardware with the broadest array of software possible. Win98SE fits the bill for me in this regard. Linux does not. Basically it is because the other choices aren't a viable option for me.

It's definitely true linux is making inroads to compete with Microsoft. For instance, I think it was digl who posted an interesting article recently (several weeks ago?) at JKNET about how linux boxes were replacing many IRIX SGI machines at LucasFilm.

And, last I read, linux runs about 1/3 of north American webservers. Not sure how reliable that estimate is, but it is significant.

As I told you, I have no experience using any open source software.

What I'm trying to say here is:

As soon as open source becomes a mass product the market will create the same situation as it created with Microsoft product and people are going to use it to make money. So you will see all the features that you hate about Microsoft product in Linux or Unix.

So by saying:"everybody should move to open source." you are creating a second Microsoft.

That's all.

I am not against Microsoft, Unix, Linux or you. I am just trying to vent my opinion.

Thank you.

Open source will never become another Micro$oft. No one person or company can control anything build on the GPL ( the free software license). Open sources MEANS something. It means that if some one writes an open source ICQ program (just an example) that displays and advertisment when you are online, it is perfectly legal for anyone to hack it an remove the ads. (Just an example).

Archived