Home

JK2 and Unreal2

TheJackal

I believe these two games are slated to be released around the same time(more or less). So I decided to compare graphics and environment/architecture.

Inside enviroments:

JK2:

Nice curves that uses Q3 engine:

http://www.jediknightii.net/screenshots/screen023.jpg

Nice BIG room with shinny floor. One of my favorite screenshot. Textures dont look very advanced.

http://www.jediknightii.net/screenshots/screen005.jpg

Unreal2:

I know the big rectical and the alien will hide most of the wall texture, but look at it closely. Look at the details, very well made IMHO.

http://www.unreal2.com/images-dynamic/September01-640.jpg

Outside env:

JK2:

decent sky but look at the wierd mountains. I know this screenshot isn't the most recent so there is a hope LEC/Raven enhanced it. *crosses fingers*

http://www.jediknightii.net/screenshots/screen006.jpg

U2. I know I shouldn't compare these two screenshots because they are in a quite different setting, however I just had to show it for the tress. I adore the tress in this screenshot and hope the maker of U2 add leafs to other levels/maps.

http://www.unreal2.com/images-dynamic/CGImage05-640.jpg

Conclusion

LEC/Raven needs to work a bit more on the graphical area. I know these two games will be very different in gameply since U2 is basicly rampaging and shotting. However graphics is also an important issue for some gamers thus LEC/Raven should improve it a big (not too much, we dont want gamers with lower specs to be left out of course).

What do you guys think?

Im not too worried about graphics, but of course Its good to have nice looking graphics, I agree they could be improved

What worries me, is that JO could have the same problem that JK had with Q2

It came out just a little after JK, and JK inmediatly looked outdated, and lots of players that could have been part of the JK community moved to Q2, just because of the graphics

Good graphics dont make a good game, but looking outdated make some people leave the game and play newer and better looking ones

Of course games released after JO will look better, but if the game looks too outdated Itll be bad for sells, for the community and in the end to us, because smaller community means less mods, less players, etc

Maybe this dont affect much the US market/community, because there is a huge JK community that will probably move to JO, but it affects peopel outside the US, because if the game is not outstanding in every sense there could be even trouble to get a good DS

It can't be said to many times: Graphics is not everything, but many believe so. I myself was caught in that trap only a few months back - I judged the games, not by gameplay, but by graphics. In my opinion, that's pretty sad. Sure, very poor graphics takes the charm away, but I'd say the gameplay will make up for the lack in graphics JO have vs. Unreal 2.

Someone may think, I'm a little bit harsh, when I say that we don't need their scum! ;) It's just that, if someone makes a choice not to buy a game just because he doesn't like graphics(they aren't advanced enough for him) he almost automatically ignores it's gameplay or story which both are personally much more important to me(especially story, because there are SO many FPS/action games out there and only handful of them have some kind of distinctive idea that keeps them alive). Now, I don't want to judge those peoples who like to play visually rich games; they are fun and mind blowing, but usually only a certain time when there are enough people to play againts you in multiplayer or until second Doom/Quake/Unreal comes along with BIGGER, BETTER graphics. I'll be satisfied enough, if artifacts, guns, models etc. can be easily identified to what they represent and they wake up that old, warm feeling of living Star Wars universe. :luke:

DUDE, there's no comparison i tell you. But before I go on, I must note this: Unreal 2 is more or less DESIGNED to LOOK like it's all mighty while JK2 is made for down-to-earth solid gameplay over look.

With that out of the way, let me guide u to look at this "graphical comparison" in the better way. First, do u get cameo appearances of legendary character like Luke Skywalker in Unreal2? Didn't think so. Do u get to see childhood dream style of flashing lighting effect from your laser sword weapon in Unreal 2. I thought not. Will there be interactive environment where as u can leave scorch marks on the wall as you swing your melee weapon at it in Unreal 2? OR, do u get to use the force or other special abilities to shoot "eye candies" like the Force Chain Lightning?

Graphical aspects of a game is all about the eye candies. And while a modified Quake 3 engine might not be as "advanced" as Unreal 2's engine would be it doesn't mean JK2 will lack an outstanding graphical aspect. So there u have it, there is no reason to be discouraged about how JK2 will applease your eyes just because it may be able to pump out less polygons than Unreal 2.

I personally don't think Jedi Knight II will be able to exceed Unreal 2's graphical quality, but I'm by no means worried. I think JKO will excel in the eye-candy department and will probably be able to match wits with Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Duke Nukem Forever, and Soldier of Fortune 2 in the pretty images department. In any event, JKO will sport some very nice looking visuals that I won't find hard to look at (unlike, ah, JK :( ). However, despite the, uh, rather xenophobic sentiments I felt in the other thread linked to in a post above, I think both JKO and U2 will be great games, and that both will be fun to play. I think it's a little close-minded of people to automatically dismiss Unreal 2 simply because it doesn't have lightsabers, Imperial stormtroopers, big windy vertigo-inspiring shafts, Vorlons, or EDF riot shields. Even if you are an absolute die-hard Star Wars fan. ;)

[edit] Did the forum sever reset or something? I don't hang around these boards a lot, but I think I had something closer to a whopping ten posts, not three. Oh well. :D [/edit]

ok, i like to look at it this way, great graphics are cool, when i first played the naboo MP map for JK i though wow, this looks pretty damn cool, but then i got into kicking this guys arse with a sabre, and you know what, you dont look at anything but the otherguy when you sabreing against him, even when you kill him, or you die, and you go to find each other, you dont spend time looking around or dawdling, you find some health/shields, and get after him... in single player, graphics are great to look at, but mt. background isnt too important, id rather have good looking enemys, and smart AI, and great level DESIGN rather than look. i want big expansive, story driven levels... as many have said, graphics are nice, but in the end, its gameplay that takes precidence...

To me it's all about how much I like the game. I'm a huge SW fan so no matter what I (and many others I'm sure) will play it no matter what the graphics like.

I still play Half-Life and it is very out dated. There are hundreds of single player maps being made for HL , they all look pretty bleak compared to the new games but it's all about game play.

Jk and HL willalways have a place on my HDD nomatter whatthey look like and I'm sure JK2 will keep me coming back for more as well.

The screen shots of both are very nice. The U2 might be alittle cleaner and more detailed but we'll have to wait and see the final out come.

in terms of fun and gameplay, i still prefer the original quake anyways (or DMC for hL which has recreated it)

the thinly veiled point being, quake is old, has bad graphics, but i would rather play that over the original UT anyday, b/c the gameplay is so pure and near perfection. the exact same goes for JK. i own UT, Q3, JK, HL and CS, plus i have DSL so i can play everything w/o lag worries. the only two i play with any regularity are JK and CS.

Anyone know what the system requirements or proposed system requirements of Unreal 2 are?

I keep asking about this when the graphical comparisons are made and no one seems to answer. Anyone? Bueller? :)

--Kenn

Kenn Hoekstra

Project Administrator

Raven Software

Well Doom 3 is 700 mhz so i asume that Unreal2 will be aroudn the same ;)

Also jsut to be on topic... everyone here enjoyed jk much more than q2 even though q2 looked good. it could have been more capable of doing outdoor levels but they didn't do it even thoguh jk did with the negine they used.

That jsut proves thta it doesn't matter how good it looks..... i mean i still have a bash at doom BUT GLDoom is the same but it doesn't make me want to play it more than doom. See my point?

so umm what exactly is so special about JKO MP that we know so far? No pers, No Co-op, Only the MOST BASIC gameplay elements are for sure going to be in, in addition to that we can see some crappy weapons added just to appease the players when they are bored of sabers. So basically, all this game = is JK MP + a few balances and a few improvements

Unreal 2 = superior graphics (anyone who says graphics have no effect on a game are being ignorant, I realse they dont make a game but they are not exactly to be overlooked), new ORIGINAL weapons(so far in JK we have the saber, thermal detonator, crossbow and stormy rifle, all are from JK), and the best map editors evar

Originally posted by KISS Army

Anyone know what the system requirements or proposed system requirements of Unreal 2 are?

I keep asking about this when the graphical comparisons are made and no one seems to answer. Anyone? Bueller? :)

Well, according to the FAQ on the official site, they say you should be able to run it on a P2/450 with a first generation GeForce card. Somehow I get the feeling that means the lowest possible setting, because they say on a high-end system it will look stunning.

I guess anyone with a system under that spec. is not going to have a very good gaming experience. ;)

And keeping this thread on topic...

...my own view is that gameplay comes before graphics. Don't get me wrong...I like to look at a game with photorealistic textures and everything...but if the gameplay doesn't stand up, people simply will not play the game. So I'm not at all worried how JKII compares graphically with Unreal II. I'm probably going to be getting both games, and I'll judge which one is the best after I've completed them.

I did the same thing when JK was released. I got QII around the same time, and QII looked better. I played the QII SP mode twice to completion...I played JK SP every way I could think of to completion, from all-guns-blazing, to saber only, from relying on the Force to relying on fists, in either 1st person, 3rd person or a combination. Now, that has to say something about the gameplay. ;)

I did the same thing when JK was released. I got QII around the same time, and QII looked better. I played the QII SP mode twice to completion...I played JK SP every way I could think of to completion, from all-guns-blazing, to saber only, from relying on the Force to relying on fists, in either 1st person, 3rd person or a combination. Now, that has to say something about the gameplay.

Yeh i did the same since the gameplay was so good and Kwup, They have much more than 5 weapons they'll have a minumum of 10 AND most games nowadays have about 15 so i'm quite sure they aren't the only weapons.... oh yeh how original is a machine gun and a rocket launcher... tell me that.

We shouldn't forget that the game is still a few months away from release. Possibly more than that. But back on topic.....the screenshots released thus far aren't of the finished product. Wouldn't it be resonable to assume that the screenshots released closer to JKO's confirmed release date will be more representative of the final product, rather than ones released several months before it comes out that show mostly generic level design?

*hears heads nod*

Cool.

I guess you also have to consider that certain companies have different policies about what kinds of stuff they show....and when they show it. If you'll note, Halo released shots over a year ago that looked pretty impressive, but if you compare them to shots just prior to release...well, you almost begin to wonder what they were working on for a year because you don't see any real improvements. On the other hand, JKO has shown some graphical improvements as each set of screenshots get released...and it is entirely possible that Raven/LEC are focusing on gameplay and will add graphic polish ( AKA fluff ) towards the end of the project. Frankly, I'd rather have it work that way.

i dont think graphics is a problem raven has to deal with, they usually make pretty high graphic games and prove they can make good game engines, the only thing ide say is they have to worry about a little is gameplay, games like quake 3 have great graphics and capabilities, but the game itself has a low playback interest to me, but since there making games like jedi2 and sof2,it seems like there gonna be solving this problem :D ,as for unreal 2 the graphics i hear are going to be best ever seen when it comes out plus its a good game there making a sequal too, but not as good as jedi or sof i think, so there will be heavy competition...i for one am gonna get em all:)

Archived