Home

Even Microsoft Doesn't Use Windows?

CaptainRAVE

Microsoft's competitor Oracle has claimed that the software giant doesn't even use Windows servers to host their own web sites.

"Microsoft doesn't even use NT on their own Web site. They use Unix. It's rather ironic," said Oracle's senior vice president and chief marketing officer. Oracle has recently begun a marketing campaign promoting their own servers as "unbreakable."

Microsoft angrily denied Oracle's accusation as untrue, saying that they have only one website which don't use Windows 2000 and Windows.Net Server - the Hotmail free email service, which is being transitioned over to Microsoft software.

I personally dont know what to think on this one.....opinions??

I know some of the Zone use to run on Linux, but they did some big changes in it, so they might have transfered it to Windows 2000 or .NET now.

Personally I don't see any reasons, other than that it might be a bit easier to use, to use Windows 2000 for a server. It is a statistical fact (I'm too lazy to search for the actual articles and numbers, but they are there) that UNIX and LINUX with Apache, Oracle or MySQL and PHP are a lot faster, more stable and can handle a lot more users than Windows 2000 with IIS, Oracle or MySQL (or a microsoft SQL server) and ASP or PHP.

I will not go so far as to say which is saver, because a server is only as save as it's Administrator makes it. A UNIX/LINUX server can be less save than a Windows 2000 server. A standard install of Red Hat, SuSe or Mandrake actually is less save than a standard Windows 2000 install (again too lazy to search for the articles/numbers).

oh please.....like there are are unix admins that are more careless than M$ admins....*rolls eyes*.....actually there are lots of them....but anyway, unix and linux lend themselves to security.....m$ os's need sooooo much work....how often do you hear of *nix virus problems? how about nearly daily security patches?.....the nix has got iis beat, and nix servers rule the web....you cant blame m$ for not using doze......least i dont =)

thrEEpaGe you should do your homework better before bashing MS. I'm all for bashing MS, but don't come with lies. The most used distribution of Linux (RedHat) has just as many security holes in its standard install as Windows 2000 has, maybe even more. The reason why Windows security holes are abused more often is because most hackers don't like MS so Windows is a logical target and because there are a lot of companies and people that think that hooking a computer with Windows 2000 up to the internet is enough to run a good webserver. Companies that use Linux or Unix usually have someone who knows what their doing.

As for Unix/Linux servers ruling the web. The last numbers I've seen say there are more Windows webservers than Linux or Unix webservers. If I remember correctly 30% of the webservers were Windows NT/2000 and only about 10% were Linux. Linux and all other Unix varients put together was more than Windows, but we're talking about dozens of different operating systems (yes, there are big differences). This was a year or so back and I don't have the numbers infront of me right now, so I could be wrong about the exact numbers.

I am indifferent to MS's business practices, they have got to the top so full credit to them.

You people don't like them because they are too successful. It also makes more sense for hackers to hack the most widely used software, why hack Linux when you would get more "credit" for hacking MS.

wardz

Originally posted by wardz

You people don't like them because they are too successful. It also makes more sense for hackers to hack the most widely used software, why hack Linux when you would get more "credit" for hacking MS.

wardz

The success is the only thing I do like (and respect).

They may be successful and all, but I don't like them because I'm sick and tired of having to deal with them, and not having a choice! The fact that they didn't get slammed in the anti-trust case is a little amazing, and just goes to show you how seperated from the real world the justice system is. All that aside, really the only reason they piss me off is becuase they are on every computer, everywhere, and the only choice you ever get is which version of Windows you want. Sick of it.

I'm happy with the fact that they've introduced a standard for us, and while arguably with a few flaws, at least we can all meet up together and play the games we like without having to buy multiple operating systems.

I'd hate for things to come to me having to buy two operating systeme because there was two games I wanted, and they were both exclusive to a different OS.

Games can be made for multiple Operating Systems. Actually Quake III is also available for Linux and so are a lot of other games.

I do not have anything against Windows itself. Personally I'd use Linux if I didn't need Windows for a lot of programs and games (which could just as easilly be made for Linux as they could for Windows btw). What I don't like about Microsoft is their "we're better than everyone else" attitude, their "blow all competition out of the water" tactics and their agressive marketing technics.

What we need is a set of standards for operating systems like there are standards for internet (which microsoft doesn't follow btw), so programs can be made that work on all operating systems that support these standards (after compiling the source code). These standards could be set by a group of people from various organizations and companies. Anyone would be allowed to use the standards free and without obligations. Unfortunately Microsoft will never cooperate to something like this, because they want to control everything that has to do with computers directly.

Originally posted by Seryl Cann

Unfortunately Microsoft will never cooperate to something like this, because they want to control everything that has to do with computers directly.

Yep. I just got done learning the Java programming language with JDK 1.3 by Sun (the people that created and own Java), and when I finished, I hear that Microsoft has come up with its own version, its not as good, and is incompatible with programs built using the JDK. I just bet they intend to make this the standard for IE, and thus, make it the standard for COMPUTERS EVERWHERE, eliminating Sun from the arena. What can I say, Sun had the audacity to actually challenge MS, and look what they got. I'll say it again -- I'm sick of it.

Welcome to the forums, Averron. Hope you enjoy your stay. Here... *hands over a chocolate Jedi Medallion*. There you go. ;)

I too feel that Microsoft is trying to force their own standards on the rest of the industry. In the past they appear to have taken other people's ideas and twisted them to their own purpose...now they just buy out any competition, and bury the things they don't like. They might call it survival in a cut-throat business, but to me it is unethical, and limits consumer choice.

I agree with Seryl Cann...if more software and games were developed for other OS's, such as Linux, I would probably ditch Windows altogether. One thing in Microsoft's favour, however, is the fact that they have developed some of the most user-friendly and functional software on the market - particularly their Office suite. Although I consider it a bit ludicrous paying well over the odds for some cosmetic and minor functional changes with every upgrade. I'm still using the '97' edition, which is perfectly adequate for my needs.

If other software was as good on other platforms (and currently I think there is still some way to go), then again, I would ditch Windows. Of course, that would be reliant on the other software supporting a variety of file formats and standards. ;)

Well, you might be mad at me for saying this, but actually like Microsoft. This is for several reasons.

1. Microsoft is very profitable, and without a doubt controlls the industry, but they didn't get that way for nothing. They earned it the hard way, starting form garage or basement or wherever it was. They created a great product and sold it, and in this they started a great company. Now, no business gets anywhere without being ruthless in some way. You can't sit around and let competition run you out or put you down, so you stop it. Every large business does this, its just that Microdoft does it BETTER than anyone else, and consequently they take more heat from it. I actually admire MS for their good business tactics, after all, competition is NOT good for business.

2. The fact that nearly every PC and a plurality of servers use MS is a good thing, because everyone, for the most part, is compatible with each other. If we had 30 OS's running around, or even 5 or so it would be much harder to make games, networks, and other software that fit and worked on everyone's computer.

3. While MS is large, and truly would not HAVE to make many improvements to new software, that is certainly not the case. Every new title they come out with is largely improved, very user-friendly, and perfectly functional. Sure, they have a few bugs, but i have never really noticed anything major, or at least, nothing beyond the occasional lockup. They really are, in my experience, pretty stable.

Archived