Home

It's true! Sniper Rifle = Disruptor

Scav

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"In order to get into Superspace, or 'hyperspace' for the common layman, you have to 'go really fast', and that opens a window. Try reading 'The Next 10,000 Years', I think it's in there."

Huh? What's "The Next 10,000 Years"? (If you say "the next 10,000 years, of course, I will KILL you :p )

What I meant was a ship in hyperspace is in a semi-parallel dimension (for lack of better description) and not something going really fast and violating physics :p (But ya, it goes really fast to open a window like you said, I was just talking to the people with the Einstein references)

"Blasters ARE lasers, coupled with explosive gases so they do damage. The gases need the laser to move."

Refer to Kurgan's link. :lazy: :D

"And I think the books are a lot more detailed than the movies. The movies have horrible acting, some incorrect physics etc. "

You know, life has horrible acting. :rolleyes: Incorrect physics can be explained away :p

"And if you hated to tell me that, why'd you say it? : P"

I dunno...you got me there :D :D ;)

Originally posted by Scav

Agreed, RAVE.

Cow... I never said the heat from the friction caused all the damage, did I? The explosion of the gas when it hits a target does.

One last thing, Cow.. You're nuts.

A Star Wars discussion forum turned into a Physics AP class? :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by CaptainRAVE

A book will always be better than the film because it has so much more room for description.

Precisely.

Originally posted by TomS

books have to be more detailed... they have to describe everything in words, what people say, what they see, what they think and what they do.... a picture is worth a thousand words... and at 25 frames a second that means each second of a movie is equal to 25000 words in a book.

Yes, books have to be more descriptive, (much more - Tolkien accomplished this), but no way on Earth is a second of a film worth the book it's based on - a whole film still isn't, IMO (books written after the film are a slightly different matter)

The words of a book describe the scene, but the image you visualise comes from within you, you see things the way that you imagine them, not the way someone else has imagined and portrayed it (like in films), and this makes the story, the characters and their lives, and the world in which they live much more personal to you, creating a far more vivid and believable experience. The mind has no boundaries - you can go anywhere and do anything there, but the physical world has limits, and these limits are to some extent present in films due to the fact that they are made in the physical world. (Granted, SFX can do a hell of a lot, but nothing can rival a good imagination.)

Originally posted by TomS

but they are totally different artforms... what works well in one doesn't always (or even often) work well in another...

True.

Art is a reverse of the above. The artist has taken something from their own imagination, (perhaps inspired by physical things, but we all perceive things in a personal and unique way) and has represented it in the physical form according to the limits of the physical world. This physical representation gives us some small insight into the mind of the artist, and allows us to perceive the piece according to our own unique way of thinking. Similarities between peoples perceptions occur, of course, but they are never exactly the same.

[/Essay]

Debate if you will :)

Originally posted by Redwing

"In order to get into Superspace, or 'hyperspace' for the common layman, you have to 'go really fast', and that opens a window. Try reading 'The Next 10,000 Years', I think it's in there."

Huh? What's "The Next 10,000 Years"? (If you say "the next 10,000 years, of course, I will KILL you :p )

What I meant was a ship in hyperspace is in a semi-parallel dimension (for lack of better description) and not something going really fast and violating physics :p (But ya, it goes really fast to open a window like you said, I was just talking to the people with the Einstein references)

"Blasters ARE lasers, coupled with explosive gases so they do damage. The gases need the laser to move."

Refer to Kurgan's link. :lazy: :D

"And I think the books are a lot more detailed than the movies. The movies have horrible acting, some incorrect physics etc. "

You know, life has horrible acting. :rolleyes: Incorrect physics can be explained away :p

"And if you hated to tell me that, why'd you say it? : P"

I dunno...you got me there :D :D ;)

The Next 10,000 Years is an author's thoughts on the next 10,000 years, of course. :) It's a huge compilation of stuff like the colonization of Venus, the Dyson Sphere, and Superspace.

I went to Kurgan's link, and the author always had one discrepancy. He made a point and then counter-pointed. I have NO idea if he thinks it's a laser or a particle-plasma weapon -- however, his ideas are the same as mine, except he had more time to put it out; he's a nerd, too. :lopsided grin: I just know the basics of the physics involved, but he's making university level algebraic calculations.

And he makes a LOT of guesses and references to the films, which of course, are incorrect. :p

Alright, so anyway, <b><i>how did we get into this conversation?!</i></b>

[over-used joke] actually, 9 out of 10 of the little voices in me head tell me im perfectly sane.. [/over-used joke]

lol. no, you didnt say that the friction caused all the damage, i realise that now. AND i beleive i misread what the guide said, infact, im looking it up now...

ah HA! here it is (heh being stupid and dork-ish is fun) [note: if anyone has no interest in reading this semi-long explenation of blaster's, or you already own the essential guide, your a homocidal(sp?) maniac, Or that you wish to rip out my spleen and beat me with it(then again, who doesnt?), then skip the next one or two paragraphs]

blahblahblah, boring stuff about the galaxy and blaster producing companies, blahblahblah. When a blaster is fired, a small amount of high-energy blaster gas moves from the gas chamber to the gas conversion enabler (commonly called an XCiter). There the gas is excited by energy from the weapon's power source, which is a small power pack for hand weapons and a reactor or power generator for a larger weapon. The excited gas passes into the actuating blaster module, where it is processed into a beam comprised of intense energy particles coupled with light. The prismatic crystal housing focuses the beam, which is further focused, or "galvenned", as it passes down the blasters barrel. The final particle beam, or "bolt," contains high-energy particles that cause extreme damage to anything they hit; the bolt's visible light is a harmless by-product of this reaction. blahblahblah.

so, if i understand it CORRECTLY this time, we were both somewhat right... or you were completely right and i was wrong.. or vice versa... heck, i forget the point either of us were making now... hey look, a bunny..

ack, just saw the link to the site that the dude posted about star wars technology junk, so what i posted is probably completely useless now.. oh well. ill go check the site later..

my zone name is A_Big_Fat_CoW, for anyone that wishes to send me comments, criticism, or death threats..

Originally posted by A Big Fat CoW

[over-used joke] actually, 9 out of 10 of the little voices in me head tell me im perfectly sane.. [/over-used joke]

:D ROFL! :D

I dunno why, but I'd never heard that one before :D

...your a homocidal(sp?) maniac, Or that you wish to rip out my spleen and beat me with it (then again, who doesnt?), then skip the next one or two paragraphs]

I don't. I want to rip out all four of your stomachs, and hit you with them :D

(j/k ;))

PS - Since you asked, it's Homicidal :)

Someone's on topic!! GET HIM!!! :D

@ Scav: I agree with you in every point except your comment on the books having superiority to the movies; as for that I have to say you're A) delusional B) smoking crack or C) are part of a sinister Illumnati conspiracy to take over the world for your own evil means, in which case I retract every argument I've ever put up against you and pray you please wont kill me :D :D (don't mind me, I'm high on sugar ;) )

Actually, it's :sweatdrop: !! MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! :D :D

EDIT: WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH it didn't work....MOMMY!!! :sweat: HEY!! THAT WORKED!! YAY!!! :D

It's a perfect time to say:

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiightttttttttttt..... :confused:

I thought the Bryar Pistol was going to be the 'sniping' weapon. Its been said a few times, but a disruptor has a very limited range, so why the scope? But then again, the storm trooper rifle has a 'scope' and it was used, hm, never. (Read the Essential Guide to Weapons and Tech). There is no scope on the disruptor but there is a scope on the storm trooper rifle. I wish Lucasarts would get some consistency going instead of all the books, games, and movies contradicitng themselves.

im tired... letters look like they're dancing at me... dancing... dancing like a coconut dances on the back of a hippo's ear, forever taunting me... i hear the little letters calling me not-so-very-nice names in they're hippo coconut dance.. names like geraldo or albert would be nice, but instead they pelt me with bob's and joe's... even the letters im typing this very instant are taunting me evilly in they're evil way of evilly taunting me with evil taunts in they're evil dance of evilness. i must find a way to stop these dancing letters... must stop they're evil hippo-ear coconut dance, before its too late... but how?

some sleep might help... k buh bye...

Originally posted by JPMaximilian

I thought the Bryar Pistol was going to be the 'sniping' weapon. Its been said a few times, but a disruptor has a very limited range, so why the scope? But then again, the storm trooper rifle has a 'scope' and it was used, hm, never. (Read the Essential Guide to Weapons and Tech). There is no scope on the disruptor but there is a scope on the storm trooper rifle. I wish Lucasarts would get some consistency going instead of all the books, games, and movies contradicitng themselves.

Bryar Pistol be a sniping weapon??!

I don't think that's possible because it is not supposed to be a sniping weapon. Bryar Pistol is the most basic weapon you can use in JKII, so it shouldn't have anything fancy added to it, except you can shoot people with it. :)

yes, but the bryar pistol, i only used about... 5 times in singleplayer JK, and less in MotS (who needs a bryar when you can have a fully charged blastech?), in JK i only used it.. first, when you shoot the first gran in the game, but then you get his ST rifle. the only other times i used the bryar was when i needed to snipe, and didnt have enough P-Cells for a bowcaster shot (which, IMHO, was the best single-player weapon in JK. downs a stormtrooper in one hit on easy mode, fairly accurate, and its ammo is easy to find). i sure hope they do SOMETHING to make the bryar more usefull in JK2, in both single and multiplayer...

Originally posted by A Big Fat CoW

yes, but the bryar pistol, i only used about... 5 times in singleplayer JK, and less in MotS (who needs a bryar when you can have a fully charged blastech?), in JK i only used it.. first, when you shoot the first gran in the game, but then you get his ST rifle. the only other times i used the bryar was when i needed to snipe, and didnt have enough P-Cells for a bowcaster shot (which, IMHO, was the best single-player weapon in JK. downs a stormtrooper in one hit on easy mode, fairly accurate, and its ammo is easy to find). i sure hope they do SOMETHING to make the bryar more usefull in JK2, in both single and multiplayer...

Hopefully the Bryar shots will go faster in JK2...

Someone's on topic!! GET HIM!!! :D

@ Scav: I agree with you in every point except your comment on the books having superiority to the movies; as for that I have to say you're A) delusional B) smoking crack or C) are part of a sinister Illumnati conspiracy to take over the world for your own evil means, in which case I retract every argument I've ever put up against you and pray you please wont kill me :D:D (don't mind me, I'm high on sugar ;) )

I'm the technological supercomputer limb of the Illuminati, and don't worry I won't kill you.. yet. :evil2:

I find the movies to be good in thier own right, but I prefer to read, hence why I've read every LotR book and every Star Wars book.

Originally posted by Scav

I'm the technological supercomputer limb of the Illuminati, and don't worry I won't kill you.. yet. :evil2:

Too much Deus Ex?

I didn't think the Illuminati had any computer except that guy who lives near the coffin (an ambush). Morgan something? They are evil.

I like Daedelus and Helios better.

Helios: "You will go to the Aquina Labs. Yes. Activate the two computers and crack the codes. Yes. YES!"

Just to end this debate George Lucas has been quoted in saying (this isn't the exact words) " When debating a fact the Movies beat out the Books and the books beat out the radio programs" So in using that, the movie is more accurate if somthing between the movies and the books disagree.

Strider

Archived