Home

That Quake 3 "look"

dazilla

I couldn't help but notice from the screens that the game seems to have the same "look" as quake 3 and elite force. I hate to say it, but especially the way the overhead beams, doors, floors and the like remind me too much of elite force. Not that I didn't like the game, it was great, but it would be nice if they split their models up into different polys than elite force. The beams supporting the overhead platforms in that game always had the shape like in the following screen:

45.jpg

anyone else agree?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by dazilla

I couldn't help but notice from the screens that the game seems to have the same "look" as quake 3 and elite force. I hate to say it, but especially the way the overhead beams, doors, floors and the like remind me too much of elite force. Not that I didn't like the game, it was great, but it would be nice if they split their models up into different polys than elite force. The beams supporting the overhead platforms in that game always had the shape like in the following screen:

45.jpg

anyone else agree?

I can tell that it's a Q3 Engine Powered game from the HUDs. :) Always looking heavy and metallic...and the numbers are always somewhat dim...

Originally posted by dazilla

I couldn't help but notice from the screens that the game seems to have the same "look" as quake 3 and elite force. I hate to say it, but especially the way the overhead beams, doors, floors and the like remind me too much of elite force. Not that I didn't like the game, it was great, but it would be nice if they split their models up into different polys than elite force. The beams supporting the overhead platforms in that game always had the shape like in the [preceding] screen.

anyone else agree?

First of all, welcome to the forums, dazilla, I hope you enjoy your time here :)

And in response, yes, it does remind me quite strongly of EF, but hopefully the SW influence (Gonks, Astromechs, Stromtroopers etc.) will dull the memories (disappointingly short levels are some I'd rather forget... :()

The outdoor aspect of JK2 should (hopefully) make it a completely different game to Elite Force, with water to swim in, cliffs to Force-jump up, and floating probe-droids to beware of :)

If he hasn't given it to you yet (I think he's getting forgetful in his old age ...;)), ask Boba Rhett for your Official LucasForums Welcome Giftbasket™ when he's around.

I can tell that it's a Q3 Engine Powered game from the HUDs. Always looking heavy and metallic...and the numbers are always somewhat dim...

the HUD is the same as it was in the past two dark forces game.

and the number's brightness vary according to the health/shields left, and also reflects the lighting of the room(ie well lit rooms and you get well lit displays, and dark rooms have darker displays)

wacky, thanks but you'll notice that I've been registered since May 2001, which happens to be the same as Bartolo here. I may not post much, but I visit here very often and read almost every post. But thanks anyway.

Anyway, as for the Q3 thing, I also love the quake 3 engine, but I want to be in the star wars universe, and I don't want the look of the engine to spoil that experience. That screen looks exactly like some of the borg cube levels in elite force, and that's what bugs me. I want to get out of the star trek universe, and into the star wars one.

What I say would have been really interesting is if lucasarts had made a deal with id software that they would contribute to the production of the doom 2 engine if they could use it for their game. Would that have been awesome or what! Lucasarts has a bad habit of adopting technologies just as their being replaced, or trying new ones and having them fail miserably. IE, Galactic Battlegrounds, jedi knight for the former argument, and force commander for the latter.

edit: I should try to post more, after all I don't wanna be called bantha fodder!

Originally posted by [eVe]DeathBoLT

the HUD is the same as it was in the past two dark forces game.

and the number's brightness vary according to the health/shields left, and also reflects the lighting of the room(ie well lit rooms and you get well lit displays, and dark rooms have darker displays)

The HUD's appearance is the same, just the way Q3 Engine made it looks somewhat different from JK's Engine.

That screen looks exactly like some of the borg cube levels in elite force, and that's what bugs me. I want to get out of the star trek universe, and into the star wars one.

Look it more closely and you will notice that wall textures have that familiar dirty look that adds a lot of realism to whole level; nothing like "plastic" walls aboard Voyager. :D

What I say would have been really interesting is if lucasarts had made a deal with id software that they would contribute to the production of the doom 2 engine if they could use it for their game. Would that have been awesome or what!

I guess you meant Doom 3, right? ;)

yeah, you're completely right sorry. I was thinking of unreal 2 at the same time, so those thoughts intersected with those of doom. My bad, it's doom 3.

And yes, the walls do look dirtier than the voyager walls, but not dirtier than the walls on the klingon ship or the scavenger ship. It's too familiar (not the good Star Wars familiar, but the star trek familiar)

But as we know, we have already seen great screenshots that show us levels that are heavily inspired by imperial architecture, for example, aboard Star Destroyer and Death Star AND Cloud City areas that seem to be taken straight from ESB. This particular screen is only one of the many, so you can't judge whole game basing your accusations on it.

Originally posted by Emon1337

Um, the game engine has NOTHING to do with how the game looks. JK2 is miles ahead of the original Q3 as far as graphics go. And what do you mean Quake III look? You mean the realistic, non 2-D look?

Game engines don't matter?! I thought it does...

Medal Of Honor definitely does not have a quake 3 feel to it. So theres proof that not all Q3 engine powered games feel like Q3.

I have a feeling that once you start playing JKO, with the original Star Wars music going, the sound of laser fire, sabers clashing against opponents, it's gonna feel like we're back in the world of Jedi Knight. It won't feel like Quake 3, Elite Force, or RTCW.

Well, as you happen to mention it, Elite Force never felt remotley like Quake 3, probably because they changed the engine so much........so im guessing JK2 will feel even less like it. If it wasnt for the fact that making a new graphics engine takes longer, it would have been nice for them to make a graphics engine just for JK2. Of course, that would have taken a lot longer :(

I personally think it's a bad screenshot. here's more jk1ish type screens.screen045.jpg

and

screen041.jpg

oh and this is a bit liek that later levels

screen026.jpg

And the outdoor scenery matches the jk1 nar feel like in these screenshots.

screen050.jpg

screen049.jpg

screen044.jpg

screen039.jpg

Hope that shows that that is probably the 2nd worst screenshot and not to be picked on.

Originally posted by Darth Lunatic

Medal Of Honor definitely does not have a quake 3 feel to it. So theres proof that not all Q3 engine powered games feel like Q3.

I have a feeling that once you start playing JKO, with the original Star Wars music going, the sound of laser fire, sabers clashing against opponents, it's gonna feel like we're back in the world of Jedi Knight. It won't feel like Quake 3, Elite Force, or RTCW.

Same goes for FAKK II

I especially like that rock wall inside mine, and colored lighting in Nar Shaddaa level is spectacular! :D I guess not all architecture have to blend perfectly with rest of the level, because we all know that in every city there is always buildings that just don't seem to belong there; they may have been constructed on another era, so they represent different styles and ideals. I think, these levels would look too dull, if there was nothing that stands out of the crowd, even by looking "ugly". That just makes it feel much more realistic.

I have to agree with Agen_Terminator there that there is a large Dark Forces feel to these levels. Your only have to look at the strormtrooper rifle to see that. There is a Jedi Kngith feel, but the levels look more like Dark Forces. Indeed it is clear to see the Quake 3 engine is in use by the textures, but the level design is nothing like Quake.......which im pleased about. Actually these levels dont even remind me of Elite Force.

Archived