Home

Batsaber (aka Lightbat)

digl

Do you like this effect?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this effect?

• Its cool! I love it!
    • I don't care
    • It's ridiculous! remove it or tune it down!

Guest Krayt Tion
Originally posted by Obi Kwan

hahaha nice one Krayt Tion, but why did it have to be the filthy yankees uniform? Everyone knows that Babe was from Boston...

Sorry, the picture of Babe looking down at a little kid giving him batting advice was too juicy to pass up :)

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Krayt Tion

New Secondary Attack function of JO Lightsaber discovered!

[copy shortcut link, open new browser window, paste in address bar to view this exclusive shot]

Kyle's enemies can only watch in horror as he unleashes the devastating secondary attack power of the SaberBat!

-------------------------Read After Viewing Shot------------------------

Those of you who played Rise of the Triad (circa 1995) will appreciate this!

For those that haven't, you had an enchanted baseball bat that glowed green, eerily similar to a certain thing in the Star Wars Universe which shall remain unnamed. Secondary mode released a spread of explosive baseballs. ;)

I think you have to look at this from a game perspective... in all of the films a blow by the lightsaber results in instant dismemberment or even been sliced in half.. I think if the light saber was this powerfull in the game - especially multiplayer we'd get bored pretty quickly from been dead from the 1st hit..aterall we want to have duels that last more than 2 seconds :)

so I guess Raven have come up with the most dramatic effect they could to indicate a hit point dropping blow..

Although In single player im sure we will see some dismemberment

I'm thinking that perhaps it's a false dilema to say that the game has to "follow the movies" or "not."

I think one some of these issues (like the blood/dismemberment) people are trying to argue that because we want to be like the movies, we have to do it X (a lot of the replies seem to be saying that because the movies weren't bloody, then neither should the game be bloody). In fact, this seems to be the argument used by some of the Raven guys (if I interpret their quotes correctly from the chat). Not the only reason mind you (the other being that it's a "Teen" game).

However, not everything in the game is like the movies, and nobody is saying everything should be like the movies. Already great liberties have been taken. Most of those weapons and force powers we have NOT seen in any star wars flick. Most of the material in fact that has been revealed from JK2 is from the EU.. which is made up of comics, novels, other games, etc. all stuff outside the four films (going on five) that George Lucas has put out that are "canon."

In my arguments in favor of putting in some (not a ton of it) blood and dismemberment in JK2 is really a response to those who say it "must be like the movies." If that's the case, then right there we have our movie evidence that those things should be in the game (hands, heads, cut off, bodies cut in half, some bloody mist or pools of blood around limbs). Yes, in one scene, Luke appears to "bat" his enemies around, but what about the other examples throughout the trilogies of slicing and dicing? Perhaps one could say that in different circumstances, different outcomes...

How about this for a working theory?

"Based on film evidence, a lightsaber will always cut through a lesser surface (other than forcefields, blaster shots, and other sabers) unless it's a glancing blow (ie: Vader's shoulder armor in ESB). "

But I say that trying to be like the films is all fine and dandy, but it's always going to be a selective process when it comes to a game (that's still supposed to be fun and balanced). At a certain point, innovation has to take over to fill the gaps, or everyone is just going to get bored, or it's not going to work.

That said, the blood/dismemberment is just a little thing, an aesthetic. I think it would "feel" more like the movies to me, to have it in, and it wouldn't necessarily add or take away anything from the gameplay for me, but the overal atmosphere would be a little bit better (for me).

<font color=cbcbff> Those enemies are also all on the edges of skiffs, and the ones that aren't fall back some, yes, but they don't fly a ridiculous 50 feet. Or do a backflip from taking a hit. You could even go as far as to say that Luke was simply slicing open their chests with the tip or edge of the lightsaber rather than just full-out hacking and slashing them into pieces. As a jedi, I'm sure he's aware of the violent capabilities of the lightsaber and we know that limbs flying everywhere is offensive to humans in the star wars universe as well. He could be making a concsious effort to kill as cleanly as possible.

Either way, the lightbat is shown in the videos at a ridiculous degree of strength. If they are going to get knocked back, atleast make it something believable. Maybe 5 or so feet. Then have their lifeless bodies crumple to the ground.

I'm still clinging to my deactivated dismemberment theory though. More out of hope than proof.

The way they backflip when they get hit - with any weapon - is really rediculous. It's like they step on a banana skin just as they're hit.

What we might be seeing in the trailer is a projectile weapon hit being applied to saber hits as well. Maybe they hadn't created the "strike-you-down" effects yet. I hope.

well i have watched ROTJ a load of times and i never remember seeing people fly backwards doing backflips after being hit by the saber... so even if it was in there, it was in a subtle manner... unlike the game clip, where it really STANDS OUT. it was pretty much the first thing i noticed in the movie clip.

the saber will impart SOME kinetic energy to anything it hits (it doesn't just pass through everything without friction) but as far as i can see the most likely effect of a saber slash to the chest would be either crumpling downwards while holding your chest, or being spun (rotated) in the direction that the slash goes.

Well, i hate to be like this ;), but technically lightsabers don't cut through anything, or even all matter. For one, they can't cut through cortosis ore. Also, remember how in ROTJ luke touches the pole, but it doens't instantly cut through it just because he touched it. It was only when he really struck hard that he cut through the thin durasteel railing. Vader also gets tapped on the shoulder by a saber without much damage at all. And remember the effort it took to cut through the blast doors on the TF crusier? So, its clear that a lightsaber doesn't cut through everything like a hot knife through butter. With this in mid, it is possible that a person (or his remains) be thrown by a lightsaber strike, especially if they are wearing armor.

Ok, all that being said, i hope that they at least tone down the saberbat, and have dismemberment, but no blood. Still, i wouldn't mind seeing a person be thrown back a little if hit in the body, but dismembered if hit in an appendage.

<font color=cbcbff> Well, I'd say the lightsaber is a little sharper than you make it out to be.

The reason Qui-Gon was having such trouble cutting through the blast doors was because they were thicker than his blade was long. If you recall, they even shut a blast door and the saber just dissolved the door as it closed on it.

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe the armor that Darth Vader wears has lightsaber resistant properties.

Luke swings, glances off a post(that is much thicker than his swing arc, so it leaves a huge furrow but doesn't cut through), then he sort of skips off those railings, and it's hard to tell, but I believe there is definitely scorching going on when he hits the railings. Then he strikes against Vader's lightsaber and then with his final cut, he goes through Vader's hand and the railing. I suppose you could take this to mean that it doesn't instantly go through anything, but pretty close. Han Solo barely touched the belly of that Taun-Taun and it split right open. And when Darth Maul split(no pun intended) he didn't really move very much short of a jolt of surprise as the saber rendered his internal organs useless.

I take it, from the evidence shown in the movies, that some metals cause some minor resistance to the lightsaber. As far as flesh goes, though, I don't think there'd be much friction at all. Definitely not enough to toss an enemy 50 feet.

I'm not saying that you are necessarily wrong, Guy. This is just my take on the evidence shown.

Oh, btw, Cortosis Ore does not resist a lightsaber's blade, but rather causes a feedback loop that causes the lightsaber to shut down. I think I remember reading a situation where Luke and Mara Jade sit there for hours cutting through a cortosis ore wall. Their lightsabers leave a furrow, but the blades shut down before they can cut much further. So the process takes an entire chapter.

I was looking at that 110 votes too...

We have a league promoting this thread you know ;)

Tell You I Will is just....

I'm not sure what Tell You I Will is...

I remember there was a thread longer that that one jk.net forums long ago

I think it was called something like the joke thread

I was wondering where in either of the trailers you see anyone do a backflip from getting hit by a lightsaber? I see a stormtrooper go flying but thats about it. If you are talking about the first trailer I think that the guy flipping is not the guy who is being hit but the other one doing a jump.

Guest Krayt Tion
Originally posted by digl

I was looking at that 110 votes too...

We have a league promoting this thread you know ;)

How many are in? I count three, including us. :D

More like the Three Strikes And Katarns Out league, haha dude.

Archived