Home

Batsaber (aka Lightbat)

digl

Do you like this effect?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this effect?

• Its cool! I love it!
    • I don't care
    • It's ridiculous! remove it or tune it down!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Krayt Tion

Pffffbt to the mods. That's not the right attitude to have, imo. Kind of hard to give feedback if we always say "So and so isn't very good" and then insert "but who cares we can mod it!"

Hey, Medal Of Honor:Allied Assault had all the blood and gore completely removed to tone down the rating, and this is a game aiming to be slightly more realistic.

The Light-bat (or alternatively the saber-bat) is a quick easy way to avoid dismemberment, to keep the game rating low.

The light-bat should go completely. Why fly across the room? I never remember seeing it in the Star Wars universe, and no it does not look cool Kenn. What does look cool is a limb coming off!!

[sarcasm]Ya.. I don't think I'm going to buy Jedi Knight 2 anymore because people fly around from getting hit by a light saber[/sarcasm]. Ok, lightsabers don't exist, how can they make something realistic when it doesn't exist? Yes, I do believe they should have some basic moral view on what it looks like based on the movies and such. But, you have to take in account of the hard rating system that is out there. The ESRB rating system is quite strict, they rated Super Smash Bros Melee some little kiddy cartooney fighting game for Game Cube with a Teen rating. It's true that they should dim it down a bit and I have watched the trailers many many times and I haven't really noticed this to the point at which I wanted to cancel my pre order because of it. This is such a small flaw that can be easily outmatched by all the other great things in the game. Come on guys, be happy with what you have, hmm... I'm starting to sound like my mother I'm ending this.

Guest Krayt Tion

I have an important update that might put some of our fears to rest!

WARNING *SPOILERS BELOW*

Apparently, Luke Skywalker isn't the only Jedi Master who gives a word of advice to Kyle.

Unofficial cut scene screenshot from a German game mag tells all!

[copy URL, open a new browser window, and paste URL in address bar to view picture]

Jedi Master Babe Ruth instructs Kyle Katarn in the ways of the BatSaber

It all makes sense now!

I'm actually watching Return of the Jedi right now, and towards the beginning, during the fight above the pit where luke jumps off the plank, (you all know what I'm talking about), Luke knocks two people off of the ships with what...his lightsaber. That is correct, he doesnt cut them in half, he sends them fliying with it. Like its a bat. I'm not sayin I like the bat saber, I'm just saying its not all that off-the-wall.

Guest Krayt Tion

Been a while since I watched RotJ, but:

Weren't must of the guys that got hit by Luke near the edges of skiffs though? Their bodies flew because they fell off the skiffs right? All they needed was a little bump to send them over?

Thats true they were by the edges, but still, they didn't get cut up, but knocked over. I just thought that it was interesting. Actually, throughout all of the movies not many things get "cut" by lightsabers, lukes hand, that dude in the bar in episode 4, thats about it. The only thing I really know about star wars is what i saw in the movies, so if thats how the game is thats cool with me.

Episode I: Qui-Gonn gets skewered.

Episode I: Darth Maul gets bisected.

Episode IV: Pondo Baba gets his arm severed.

Episode IV: Obi-Wan gets bisected.

Episode V: Wampa gets its arm severed.

Episode V: Luke gets his hand severed.

Episode VI: Darth Vader get his hand severed.

Yes. Going by the movies 'laws', a direct hit with the lightsaber should 'cut' anything. Period. Theres no other theorys or whatever. In non of the movie did anyone 'bounce' of the lightsaber (only if lighty hit).

Those were the movies. Raven must know whats best. So i trust em.

the end.

It does look a little strange doesn't it. I agree with everyone above who is saying the lightsaber should cut through people. The only good thing I can see would be if a Reborn was to block a strong saber swing and it was to knock him flying across the room.

There is a chance that they turned dismemberment off for that video. Reasons being that:

- They thought it would "look cool" to the general public seeing the stormtroopers fly 50 feet in a fast-paced action movie.

- They didn't want to show the dismemberment because it's simply so cool that they wanted it to be a surprise in the game.

-They didn't want to show the dismemberment for fear of discouraging any parents from buying the game for their children.

-It has been said repeadedly that atleast arms, hands and probably legs too will be seperable from their owners. Yet in that video, people are whacked with the lightsaber left and right in the arms and legs and not a thing flies loose. The same holds true in the official screenshots. There is only one screenshot where an arm is visible flying off of a stormtrooper and I don't believe it's on the lucasarts sponsored site.

I was saying the same thing in here, Obi. ;) Why would they wanted to reveal their "secrects" just before game has even been published?

Are we all forgetting about Return of the jedi? Well since we obviously are, ill remind you that luke was batting people around in rotj, and they were flying back quite a bit, maybe not AS much as in JO we've seen but.. they where. So why does it seem to bother everyone?

This is the very first time I'm gonna quote myself(can be found from same thread):

In the RotJ movie camera was positioned so that we couldn't have even saw how those Jabba's guards were cut open by Luke and only few of them were shown from frontside, but saber itself blocked the view, so that we didn't see their intestines coming out(there is interesting cutting sound though, when Luke slices open gamorrean guard's stomach in the middle of battle). I think this was the best way to do it in those days when they didn't have advanced technology to show actual dismemberment(except one guy losing his hand), but who knows how graphically intense Lucas can be during large battle scenes in AOTC(still without going too much into detail). He might even want to enhance older battle scenes later when overseeing the work on upcoming DVD edition of original trilogy. ;)

Sometimes I have a feeling that you people don't quite read these threads and think whole thing through before starting another thread about exactly same subject. Accusing Raven is not going to make things better, you know? :rolleyes:

Archived