Home

Batsaber (aka Lightbat)

digl

Do you like this effect?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this effect?

• Its cool! I love it!
    • I don't care
    • It's ridiculous! remove it or tune it down!

Originally posted by hahadude

I'm actually watching Return of the Jedi right now, and towards the beginning, during the fight above the pit where luke jumps off the plank, (you all know what I'm talking about), Luke knocks two people off of the ships with what...his lightsaber. That is correct, he doesnt cut them in half, he sends them fliying with it. Like its a bat. I'm not sayin I like the bat saber, I'm just saying its not all that off-the-wall.

Actually the angles that luke cuts them you cant really see, plus the saber slash only did enough to cut them deep not right through them, and the momentum of the hit as their natural reaction would be to loose balance and fall over.

Also lukes cuts some he puts more power into than others, and aside these guys are wearing some thick material and armors so although the sbaer can go through it, it depends on luke does he want to put in more power or does he just want to stop them from attacking

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think about it, lightbat isn't even a proper word for it. A bat wouldn't push anyone back 50 feet. If Kyle was REALLY buff, the guy he was hitting was a wimp, and Kyle used the Force behind his swing, he might be able to knock someone 10 feet away. What we've seen is more like a lightprod or something. I mean, what can you think of that can knock a human(oid) back 50 feet?! Maybe if you were sucked into a jet engine and came out the other side...all in a handheld device. A lightstuckinanengineandblownouttheotherside! :D

Hey, you know what? I don't know what happened here, on this trhead. Most of us are waiting for this game for ages. Personally, I've been waiting for it since I finished JK. And here I saw a lot of people who disgusted so much this thing, the batsaber, to a point of even thinking bout not buying it. I think those are freaky people, cause you can't let that a little thing like that dislike you so much. I would use the fast stance, anyway. So I say we burn the batsaber forum. It's unuseful to complain like that.

G'day all! This is my first post on this forum...been lurking for the last couple of weeks, my appetite for all things JO whetted by the increasing number of previews etc all over the place...I played JK for about 3 years (still have nightmare visions of playing Ji Oasis over and over and OVER again)...

Anyway, just to add my 2 cents worth: As everyone here would know, Star Wars is an eclectic mixture of Sci-Fi, Knights of the Round Table and Western AND Eastern mysticism.

The last of these might perhaps explain the theory behind this specific aspect of lightsaber combat. There are innumerable Chinese martial arts myths that speak of Grand Masters of the sword/hand/staff etc who are able to fly/perform amazing feats - all relating to their 'chi' (aka 'Force' in Star Wars)... Anyone seen 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'?

Throughout the movies I feel a similar process goes on. Looking at the vast array of examples people have given in this thread, the conclusion must be drawn that it is the the Force that determines what actually happens to an enemy...

Now, perhaps 'batting' stormtroopers 50ft away is a tad extravagant, but by the same token, the idea of a Jedi Master, basically an uber-martial artist - capable of concentrating his 'chi' to such a degree that it takes on external, physical properties - cutting through swathes of enemies not only with his saber but also with the sheer power of his Force, is an appealing one...

I'm guessing this doesn't happen to Jedi Opponents simply because their Force counteracts your own...

This really is going to be an amazing game, simply because its Star Wars, a universe created by merging some of humankind's most glamorous and escapist philosophies and communal fantasies...The lightsaber, glowing and humming in that OH so special way really has become an icon of mass escapist entertainment at its very very best...

Add Quake 3 and Raven's expertise to the pot and Boy oh Boy do we have one hell of a stew!

Muh hahahaha

Hope I haven't scared anyone away by my dense prose. :)

Originally posted by Jedi Legend

I voted to tone it down some, but maybe when Kyle uses the more powerful stance the force of the blow knocks the enemy back. Then maybe when the enemy hits the ground the two halves of his body are separated.

Yeah.... if it the highest level of the sabre, then I would think such a blow would slice someone in two. We are talking about a blade made of pure energy. Just think what would happen if you struck someone with a sword that hard. Unless the thing was very sharp then it wouldn't and it would take a very powerful strike to do this. I have some uh...experience in martial arts (yeah I wanna brag a little :) )

Speaking of energy, Im glad I remembered this: If you haven't dont it yourself, you know if you get at tremendous shock from an appendage you can fly back? I think the same thing is happening here, except the energy is traveling at the velocity the swinger wishes to propel it and so I think this is what a realism effect would be.

(You dont fly back everytime, its just I've seen it a few times.)

During a moment of boredom, I went to read the JKII FAQ at the LEC site.. and look what it reads there.

3.09 Will Jedi Outcast feature a location-based damage system?

Yes, Jedi Outcast features a sophisticated location-based damage and modeling system. Enemies will react to damage based on the affected area. Body and head shots, for example, do more damage than limb hits. You will also be able to destroy limbs with your lightsaber similar to what has been seen in the four films. (Obi Wan Kenobi's battle in the Cantina/Luke's hand, etc.)

So there we have it, we'll probably slice through them. (and like someone once said... that feature probably gets turned off while recording trailers ^.^)

Originally posted by Desslock

Speaking of energy, Im glad I remembered this: If you haven't dont it yourself, you know if you get at tremendous shock from an appendage you can fly back? I think the same thing is happening here, except the energy is traveling at the velocity the swinger wishes to propel it and so I think this is what a realism effect would be.

(You dont fly back everytime, its just I've seen it a few times.)

Well, I'm not sure about that, Desslock. Lightsabers are powered by small fusion(nuclear) power cells. I think that's a different kind of energy than electricity. I think the theory is that with so much energy held within the blade, when it's released, it's enough to cause just about anything to disintegrate upon contact. But there's no way a mere body is going to resist a blade(atleast not much). Even if the lightsaber was a solid object(like a baseball bat) it would take a great amount of strength to knock a humanoid that far, and that strength applied to a humanoid would obliterate any part of it's body. Imagine enough force to knock a person into the air and 50 feet back applied to your skull? Ouch.

Alright.... has ANYONE here seen Return of the Jedi? I believe so... on Jabba's sail barge Luke killed some of Jabba's allies with his lightsaber... and they flew back when hit with it... just like in the videos.... How did it look in the film? It still looked great in my opinion... about calling it the "bat-sabre", you don't even know how it'll work... wait til the game comes out. I will proceed to die laughing if I see this disputed much further... or if someone makes a petition or something...

well, I have seen ROTJ a number of times and i don't remember seeing people flying across the room.

That doesn't mean it didn't happen, but it means that if it did it was done in a background sort of a way (probably cos they couldn't show people getting sliced in half back then, even if they wanted to) rather than being as obvious and silly looking as it was in the game clip.

Whatever your opinion on the cutting properties of the lightsaber, at the very least it would cut about equivilent to a sword. I defy anyine to hit someone with a sword and make them fly that far... in fact you would have to hit htem with a car at 40mph to make them fly that far.

at first i thought it was force push (which is what it looks like) but it doesn't seem like it actually is. in fact it is odd when hitting someone with a saber sends them flying further than actually force pushing them does.

Ok, I don't post much but I figured you guys would like to hear about this. I think the whole "batsaber" effect looks pretty goofy too, so I went over to Raven's website and sent them a question.

Here is my question:

"Hello,

I just have a quick question/comment on Jedi Knight 2. Will the lightsaber have the effect of knocking enemies back as seen in the gameplay videos, and if left in will it be toned down so that the enemies will not be knocked across the room. There is quite a bit of concern over this effect being too dramatic or silly. With that aside the game is looking tremendous, keep up the good work and thanks for your time."

I honestly never thought I would get a reply so I just about had a heart attack when I checked my mailbox. Kenn Hoekstra replied to my email and here is the answer:

"That effect you saw was from an old build of Jedi Knight from months ago. It has changed a lot since then. I don't think you have anything to worry about."

His response was a bit vague but hopefully the effect is toned down and we will all live happily ever after.

Originally posted by Shark747

"That effect you saw was from an old build of Jedi Knight from months ago. It has changed a lot since then. I don't think you have anything to worry about."

His response was a bit vague but hopefully the effect is toned down and we will all live happily ever after.

Hmm...in the transcript someone asked him about that and he said "because it looks cool" or something similar. Do you think he could have been joking or being sarcastic or just messing with us? That would be really funny if he was considering this topic is now three pages long with people complaining about it. :D

Thanks alot!

It's quite understandable, because getting those videos for magazines will take quite some time and even official trailer must have been waiting for LEC's decision to put it up first. I find it strange though, that Kenn didn't comment about it in GamesDomain chat, but instead let Kevin S say the now infamous line: "It looks cool!" Like Tie Guy I have a feeling they must have knew that some fans would feel themselves "betrayed" after seeing that old effect and decided to make a light comment about it and laugh at our nitpicking. ;)

I am confident that the bat-saber has been put out to pasture and shouldnt give us anymore trouble. It was probably a physic left in from the engine (not really sure, since I only played quake 2 on playstation and thought it sucked @zz) But im sure they have corrected it as Kenn stated

Dismemberment was not removed.

In single-player, the lightsaber used to kind of erratically do an inconsistent amount of knockback several builds ago, but that was removed because it didn't seem right. However, I cannot be certain about whether or not the saber does knockback in multiplayer. This is the primary reason I haven't posted a "no, there's no knockback" or "yes, there is" because I'm not certain if there (technically) is or isn't any in multiplayer...

That is all.

Originally posted by Vagabond

Episode I: Qui-Gonn gets skewered.

Episode I: Darth Maul gets bisected.

Episode IV: Pondo Baba gets his arm severed.

Episode IV: Obi-Wan gets bisected.

Episode V: Wampa gets its arm severed.

Episode V: Luke gets his hand severed.

Episode VI: Darth Vader get his hand severed.

You forgot:

Episode V: The spectre of Darth Vader (in the "dark cave" on Dagobah) gets decapitated.

Archived