Home

Batsaber (aka Lightbat)

digl

Do you like this effect?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this effect?

• Its cool! I love it!
    • I don't care
    • It's ridiculous! remove it or tune it down!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Krayt Tion

Does this mean no more crusade?

*changing sig*

At least some people enjoyed the pics :)

Case closed. Common sense triumphs.

OK - Here's what I think about this "light-bat" :)

I agree with how those not with the force or holding lightsabers should be hit pretty far back with a good swing. They don't have lightsabers to deflect yours. Also I can understand how Raven is trying to cut down on goriness I guess (even tho Im not against making lots of severed body parts with little or no blood because that happens a lot in the SW movies). I also agree with those who argued about Luke's battle in RotJ next to the sarlaac where he "batted" people off and I thought that was really cool hehe.

Have you guys seen the trailer when kyle is fighting dark jedi? The "light-bat" no longer is a bat in that case :)

Personally I think it looks very nice how they have done the animation and effects when lightsaber meets stormtrooper and such. I agree it shouldn't be like that for everything without a lightsaber you kill, but I highly doubt it is.

Multiplayer won't be that way for sure. I'd guess in multiplayer it will be similar to how a player was struck without a lightsaber. Kinda sits there and is stunned.

Edit: Just saw mike's post, there we go :)

I'm pretty sure Gonk was joking. Well, I have to say, that's a big "booyaka". Thanks, Mike. Though I didn't voice quite how strongly I felt on the issue, it was really worrying me. I am also very happy to hear that there will still be limbs flying(and hopefully heads too.) It might sound sick, but I am really looking to fun with dismemberment. Now I can begin preparations. I must find a Jar Jar skin, get someone to use it, and repeatedly dismember it in several horrible ways.

And for the zillionth time... Luke was batting around his opponents because of the lacking special effects techology back in 1983.. they couldn't make him slice through CG guards ^.^ and it's hard to set up a blue screen in the middle of a desert, so they decided to make Luke bat about his opponents.

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

However, I cannot be certain about whether or not the saber does knockback in multiplayer.

Well, you work at Raven, let me help you

Go to your desktop, double click that jedi outcast icon that SURELY is there, go into a bot match. Slice some and dice some...

report back...

:p

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

quake 3 engine has a console entry to alter the knockback... its something like /g_knockback xx if im not mistaken..

Basicly this parameter alters the amout of 'knockback' or pushing force a weapon inflicts - for instance if a rocket were fired at your feet a high knockback value will send you flying accross the room a low value will just push you to one side, Ef and Q3 vets will have tried this, It can be quite entertaining sending your clan mates flying into the lava which is at the other side of the map :D

I imagine that the lightsaber will also produce a degree of knockback that can be increased or decreased as the designers wish...(and also via the console when a server is set up) so what we are seeing are not only the effects of an early demo - but what look like various knockback levels..

So a blow to the torso or head (guessing head) will have a knockback level depending on the standard settings that Raven Determine (very easy to set).. and as the official faq states limbs will (presume arms) will be severed.

Most of you will know that the quake 3 engine can be changed a hell of a lot via the console with server side commands such as g_speed g_gravity...(we will see servers with lowgravity) and client side cg_fov xx etc etc... so its likely in production of these 2 videos they used differing parameters.

I still dont think we will see a 'darth maul' torso or head slicing effect though... but I dont think its necessary.

Those shell symbols (console variables) are Q3-specific. Raven could've removed/added any as they saw fit. I believe that since Q3 is a plain MP shooter, id added many controllable aspects in order to make games more interesting. JO, on the other hand, is a very specific game and I doubt will feature such options.

Are you kidding Fardreamer? JO will more than likely have more options in the console since it is more than just 'a plain MP shooter'. Just my thoughts :)

Now that I think about it, I think there should be a little knock back when sabers hit each other. Especially if the person blocking has no force power for the passive block skill..

Originally posted by Fardreamer

No I'm not kidding. I don't think Raven want players flying around in zero G on Bespin maps or fiddling with the Force power settings.

Force powers probably wont be in a server admin command pool.. No, they probably dont want players flying around on Bespin maps, but do you think valve wanted players flying around on 2Fort? Nope surely not :)

Fact is, developers cant really force you to play the game they want you to. They can hide the source, they can take anti cheating measures (these are extremes) you can lower things like gravity, friction, and give infinite force power (minor things). They are debugging tools, and if Raven is going to be supporting mods, these commands ought to be available to developers/server admins and the occasional player wanting to have fun :)

Debugging is one thing, game manipulation through the console is another. Debugging could be turned on by a comand line parameter or something like that. I just don't think Raven will allow modifying anything but the very basic playmode aspects of the game, like FF/NF, sabers only etc.

Originally posted by Fardreamer

Debugging is one thing, game manipulation through the console is another. Debugging could be turned on by a comand line parameter or something like that. I just don't think Raven will allow modifying anything but the very basic playmode aspects of the game, like FF/NF, sabers only etc.

Its also difficult to concieve Raven taking the time to remove/block commands that give admins more customizability over their servers that they spend money and time on :)

Fardreamer if jedi is built in the same way as Elite Force it will feature all the commands - they wont disable gravity and speed - im pretty sure about that..

Although Medal Of Honour also based on the Q3E has hardly any of the console commands.. so you might be right we will have to wait and see :)

Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]

Dismemberment was not removed.

In single-player, the lightsaber used to kind of erratically do an inconsistent amount of knockback several builds ago, but that was removed because it didn't seem right. However, I cannot be certain about whether or not the saber does knockback in multiplayer. This is the primary reason I haven't posted a "no, there's no knockback" or "yes, there is" because I'm not certain if there (technically) is or isn't any in multiplayer...

That is all.

Thanks for clearing this up

I'd like to know about MP though, I guess we will have to wait to know.

I didn't reply before because I was away...I looked at the time of the post and at the exact momen ChangKhan posted I was in the middle of 60,000 people listening to Brain Damage(I'll see you on the dark side of the moon ...) performed live by Roger Waters...amazing

And during brain damage a [i don't know how It's called in English, when a meteor enters the atmosphere and it looks like a falling star] appeared. Incredible.

Fardreamer, why would they want to do that? Changing speed and gravity and other server side console variables can be a fun change to a hard days fragging. It's safe to say that the most fun I ever had while playing CS (why do i always reference this game...) was when server admins came on and lowered the gravity and set negative air acceleration... For those that don't know, if negative air accel is set then after you jump you can just hold backwards and you can fly across the level. Combined with low grav this makes an exellent break to the monotony of the same game over and over.

I'm glad JO will have so many game modes, so if they do take out the server variables (for some odd, derranged reason) there is still something to keep me interested.

Incedentally, my favorite gametype in Tribes 2 was Seige, not CTF. I really applaud those that take the time to add fun and varied game modes to keep it interesting.

*applauds Raven*

Originally posted by Broode

Fardreamer,

For those that don't know, if negative air accel is set then after you jump you can just hold backwards and you can fly across the level. Combined with low grav this makes an exellent break to the monotony of the same game over and over.

Hehehe!!! I just got to test it now! I'll have to wait until my boss is gone, though... :(

Archived