Home

Patch Thread

Vagabond

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Enhancement

First I'd like to point that I am foreign and there will be lots of grammar errors and the whole post may not be easy to comprend :p.

I did a depth-research on possible force unbalance and i found some interesting things that must be rebalanced if we wont cause some unfair and not funny things.

Force Drain: Dark Jedi should never heal, or if they can heal they can do only by draining large amounts of force. Imagine a Dark Jedi that continue escaping from a Light one. The Dark Jedi is damaged and continue escape and draining the light one. The Light one tries to spend all avaible force to avoid the enemy from healing himself. The problem is that a light jedi can use powers only if has 2 or more Force "bars". So the Dark Jedi continue drain little amount of force and after 1-2 minute of escape, is fully healed. So best option is to reduce a bit the force drain (just a little) and disable healing or reducing it a lot.

Saber throw: Well this is even more frustrating. I dueled with a friend and he continued escaping from me and throwing the saber. I never reached him, even with jump and forward+crouch (only with speed is possible, but is v hard). Lightsaber Throw range should be decreased or should force the thrower to stay immobile for a amount of ms. (just to give the possibility to the other one to reach him).

Force Push/Pull: They are good, but may need a little rebalance, mebbe they should not throw down a enemy every time (at lvl 3) but with a 85% of cases. As for pull this one may need a further rebalance coz if someone arrives near the defender, this one has the chance to throw down the enemy very easily, and so the attacker will be very very weak in front of this force pull.

Force Grip: The ability to move the enemy should be decreased into a max range. Example, Im on a bridge, the enemy is in front of me, behind me there is a jump of 500 mt :). I shouldnt be able to turn 180° or more and let the enemy go down, there should be a max degree range of something like 30-40. Force grip should do a little more damage at start coz, push vanquish it very easily and it is useless if it doesnt do at least a little starting-damage (15pt?).

Force Absorb: Should be decreased a bit the amount of force drained x second. Pretty useless atm.

Force Speed: Who use it should have a little protection against fire (5%?) coz is very hard to hit and sabering is very chaotic with it on, and of course you are weaker in front of enemy attacks.

As for falling down, the delay that a player has before standing up should be decreased a little.

I think I have finished, of course this is only my perspective, Ill be glad if someone discuss these rebalancement with me here, (more glad if a Raven guy discuss too :) ).

enhancement:

while playing on a duel server, i noticed one guy was using the "ultimate kill" trick in strong stance. He owned for many winning streaks because most people fight with medium or fast style and could not counteract the hits. i suggest that the kill trick is wither removed, or the damage is reduced so that it does a half or quarter drain on health, otherwise it gets tedious and very annoying.

BUG:

Changing powers and/or skins and anything else related to your player while on a Duel map bumps you to the bottom of the stack. Occasionally while doing this, you'll get bumped back down again when it's your turn rather than playing.

Enhancement:

Voice recognition for Force powers.

That would make this game a LOT easier. No more reaching for the F6 key and hitting F5.

There's a severe balance issue with Push/Pull and the heavy stance. I, like the guy above me, was playing on a server in which a guy would stand there waiting for you to take a swing, the moment your arms would move he'd push/pull you and you'd fall. Then he'd come running up and do a swing downwards from over his head (from heavy stance). This would kill a person every time. He played an entire 10 match duel session without losing once.

Force Auto-Accept Duel. Make it both a server option (make anyone who challenges anyone accept the duel) and a client side option (automatically accept any duels made) for those servers that have it off.

Bug-

1. Noticed that the probe droids often scream like either imp officers or some other un-masked human NPC when they explode...very funny, but little weird.

Enhancement/Bug Fix

- Having HUGE problems with a massive hit on framerate when there are multiple sounds going at once. Using an SB Live Value card, just installed the latest drivers, and it's still a massive problem. The same areas, when there's no one left in the area run very smoothly, so it seems to me to be an issue of sound. If it's not possible to improve the interaction of the game and the card, possibly implement an actual SHUTOFF for music (lowering the slider just makes it very very quiet, but still audible), or possibly a selector for how many channels to use?

First, the lightsaber should give off more light, like in the first jk. It could be used as a 'lamp' in the first one....another example of how a lightsaber is a jedi's "tool."

Also, a class based MP needs to be added. I LOVE the MP so far, it is so dang fun. But it would be great to have a class based game where each side had an objective, and the number of jedi/trooper/medic/engineer/whaterver, could be limited per catagory by the server. http://www.pennyarcade.com gives a good example of this from last friday's news post. A battle of Hoth type game. I'm sure some MODer out there will probably implement this anyways.

I'm not complaining, just respectfully suggesting. I love this game so far, missed a few too many classes already. =) Keep up the great work!

Enhancements:

There are several people, including myself, that would like the lightsaber to be a light source. If I'm walking around in the dark with the saber on, it should emit light. At least enough for me to see what's going on.

As far as Multiplayer goes, the Force powers definitely need some tweaking. Force Drain is way too powerful. Also, grip is a little bit too powerful as well. It is almost impossible to break a grip with Force Push. I can have a full Force bar, and i won't be able to break the grip.

When two people initiate a duel, they should be exempt from the rest of the people around them. I'm trying to have a saber duel, and I'm getting spammed by people with the FC-1 (Flechette).

As with Unreal Tournament, the FC-1 (Flak Cannon 1?) is a bit too much. This is a total spam weapon in UT, and has become in this game as well.

Personally, I don't really care about the skins. I consider myself to be a die-hard Star Wars fan, and I could care less about the skins. They're not anything more than a way to identify yourself online. This being said, I would like to see more skins. They don't have to pertain to the time period of JK2, just characters from the Star Wars universe.

Originally posted by Lord Odisse

Enhancement:

Hunt The Bounty Hunter, Team-based game where either an NPC or Human controlled Bounty Hunter (Jango or Boba Fett) have to run around the map avoiding being killed by a team of players determined to kill them and steal their precious loot, but to give the Bounty Hunters a chance they'd be decked out with all kinds of weapons ranging from Jetpacks to dual pistols (Like Jango Fett in Episode 2)

Also as to the Double-Bladed Lightsaber, giving it two modes of play would help the player using it, for example standard mode would be like the single blade Lightsaber but when you come up against more than one opponent you can use the enhanced mode which will give you the double blades, as to the concerns of those who don't want to be sliced to pieces by those who'd take advantage of this weapon a new set of options should be added to enable you to select which type of game style you want for the server: Single-Blade Sabers, Double-Bladed Sabers or Mixed Sabers (both types used)

A thought occurs to my addled brain after reading through this thread: combine these two ideas as follows...

Players start a FFA match with the usual setup, but somewhere on the level is a powerup that will give them a double-ended sabre and a new style to use with it. Other players then have to duel the sabre-carrier to win his weapon off him. Points are awarded for killing the dual-blade-wielder as well as time it's carried and kills made with it. Bring back memories of Flag Tag to anyone? I realise it would probably require some hefty re-coding, but hey, I can dream, right?

Bug?

I've noticed that on the prisoner rescue level when you go to take down the ion cannon shields, sometimes you will only get a supply key from the officers on the level rather than a security key, meaning you can't get through the locked door and drop the shields. It doesn't happen all the time, but it has happened to me on more than one occasion now.

-JH.

Well I saw so many ppl asking to alter force balancece that I became really anxious if Raven gonna change it .Most ppl who are content with balance don't write about it so consider how many are actually content :) Please don't touch the balance. Imho its perfect , heavenly perfect. I played for 4 days (mostly in duels) on light side . And I managed to have some massive winning streaks (about 30 :0 ) . Some ppl owned me , most were far from it .I played against heavy light/dark force users ,heavy stance users, gunners (haha I use guns sometimes too :) etc .And so far I can say that balance imho (at least for duels) is perfect . Well I think even if it's not we need sometime till most ppl learn to play (because all are newbs ,many dont even have a clue how to properly use the force ,and many just go nuts with saber instead of fencing). You can find a counter in a duel against anything(well except guns in some maps) - just use proper tactic.

You guys who whine about drain overpowered ..incert force or stance here ... just didn't get the idea .

Lightning /grips just useless against light .Point. One absorb and they are gone . Yeah sometimes they can bring you to zero with drains and get some luck with grip/lightning . But it reqires very precise timing (imho in the few cases that worked against me it was pure luck) .And happens not too often (cause absorb works at only 2.5 bars of mana ).Grip is very hard to use ( maybe I am just newb with dark ,but to me its incredibly hard to get anyone gripped ), even if its not enough grip is countered even with force push .So direct offence on dark is far from "uber" especially against light.

Yeah on first sight drains look overpowered. But you forgot that they need be close too you ,and they need to have at least 4 bars of mana to use it (light needs to heal the same ) .On most duel maps(things can get harsher on carbon chamber) get away from drain is possible .Light ins oppostition to dark don't depends of your adversary you can use it anyway anytime .You dont even think of force (just hit button - and you are healed ,protected ,or absorbing-very easy to use ),you can concentrate on your weapon , in contrast to dark who needs to be close to you ,target you and who is vulnerable during force use

( *CLOSE* too you - got the idea? -You can make a perfect counterattack with your gun/saber while he trying to drain/grip/lightning you).So I didnt see any lack of balance in fights against dark .Most of time saber mastery dedcide who is winner not force (as it should be when players know how to use force and its balanced). The only thing that looks little strange to me is light forces mind trick (complete crap - countered by 2 points in seeing by anyone ) and protect ( as one guy above said imho it's the same as heal except it works better) .

Some words about stances .That "uber" heavy is a very dangerous stance - you can be pushed ,sabered by thrown saber ,gunned -anything. its not uber stance and its very hard to master .I killed many heavy stance users with just medium , saber throw or weapon . So Its perfectly balanced -want to use heavy? -Be prepared for a harsh counteratack .Some heavy stance users owned me (I frankly remember only one who was so good at it that he killed me continously with heavy ,but it was before I mastered throw and push).And even in direct fight heavy is soooo slooooow , you can be sabered before you even make 2nd strike .

I only didn't see any successfull light stance user ,still I believe its not useless because you block much better in this stance .

What I want to see in patch :

1) MP dismemberment bugs fixed . And dismemberment on by default on server side.

2) New mode for a duel (tournament ) -when fights are going by olympic system .

p.s. I will be glade if someone could correct my errors in English .

Oops .Msg can't be too long here :(

So some words about mp with many ppl .I didnt play much of it ,but think that dark rule there with lighting only because most ppl are newbs and dont counter it with drains/absorbs .I was able to be n1 with light (ahead other ppl with dark ) many times .Just by going crazy with saber and slaughtering everybody .I saw only few ppl who actually were literate in force (and they were on top) , all others were just cannon fodder . BTW If you didnt notice light has a very yummy advantage on pit maps - absorb counters force push and pull.

Guns maps..... Well i think saber sucks there .And imho its supposed be like that because it is @gun maps@ . What is the point in saber if you see a guy with a flak? Just don't use saber .I found force pull is not very reliable in the way to steal opponent weapons (it could be a real counter vs gun ). So on gun maps just use gun when you feel its time for it .And please don't whine if you was killed with gun on ctf/ffa or even on a duel map.Guns are allowed .Point . If you don't like it go play saber only servers.

Everything I would of suggested has already been done so.

If you are going to do the double lightsaber thing though I'd suggest the following:

First: Make it server optionable as was said (either regular lightsabers, double only, or mixed)

Second: Make it a seperate skill, which costs a bit more than the regular lightsaber styles. This way people will have to choose if they want the more deadly double light saber (at least, potentially more deadly).

Also, as an enhancement. If we can get the double lightsaber, can we get the other type of "rare" lightsaber? movie fans won't know this, but those who've read the books probably know what I'm talking about. I think it'd be cool to get Variable Length Lightsabers. For those that don't know, basically you put more than one crystal in the lightsaber, and then with a push of a button (or twist of a knob or whatever) the crystal the blade is focused through changes giving you a longer blade. The two best examples are in the Jedi Academy Trilogy, and in I Jedi or the michael stackpole New Jedi Order books. In the Academy one, a Sith Lord spirit teaches one of Luke's students how to make one. and in I, Jedi, Corran Horn makes himself a variable length lightsaber as well.

Basically, it's just good for a surprise as you go to attack, the person barely avoids it by stepping back, and then, BAM your blade is a good foot or two longer and that bit he avoided isn't enough anymore.

Enhancement: This deals with a new control scheme idea for the lightsaber.

Instead of having it rely on what arrow keys you use (extremely unwieldy, I prefer to move with direction keys and attack seperately), utilize the buttons more. Make Saber Throw a seperate fire function (perhaps under the Force Power selection, though that would mean me binding another key to my setup ;)), and use two seperate attacks for Primary and Alternate attack buttons: Horizontal and Vertical. Coupling these in varying manners would produce combos, and giving a faster response would help immensly (back+attack for always doing the spin backwards twirl, and more quickly, would help fight circle-strafers a lot), and give a much larger feel of control to it all. The idea that was implemented was a good one, but was not very good in execution, too loose.

The switching between styles should have a faster effect as well. Instead of attacking, stopping, switching styles, attacking, etc, be able to switch styles in the middle of attacking, so that your next attack will be of a different speed (Before anyone says, "But you could drop a block with Heavy and attack with Speed immediately for quicker kills!" a down time from the heavy swing should be in place to help prevent that) and combo style. That will also lead to a better and larger selection of combos and attacking styles.

This is, of course, in addition to the suggestions of increasing the hit detection on the sabers, the clipping is far too heavy and frequent.

As another idea, perhaps have block as a seperate button as well (though this could hurt two-button mice users), but in return have more shots blockable (as well as better countering against blocked saber attacks), but perhaps narrow the cone of defense slightly, so one must still be aware of their attackers.

Thank you for your time.

enhancement:

1] Please make MP saber battles like SP.. ...pretty please :)

2] you should be able to challenge someone at at greater distance, and if you could make it easyer to target the person you want to challenge that would be nice to

3] an auto accept feature for challenges would be cool, often when i challenge someone, and they struggle to find their challenge key, i get slaughterd by a 3rd dude coz it takes too long.

4] if i get challenged i always accept, even if my hp is down to 4.. would it ruin the game totally if your HP was temperarely restored during FFA duels?

5] please tone down drain and lightning forces, they are just to powerfull to counter properly.

6] hehe, this would be so cool i think: a voice key chat feature... say like 30-40 different preprogrammed things to taunt and stuff, would be soooo cool to say "release your anger" just before engageing a duel :cool:

last but not least... you did a very, very good job with this game.. you are still #1 on my list guys :D keep it up

Enhancement

I'd suggest that the default running speed be lowered. There's nothing that says that JK II has to be as chaotic and "twitchy" as Q3A. At the moment, it's too easy to disengage from a sabre fight by just running around a corner.

Knowing that you can't just dash out of range of a swing will force people to desist from the Diablo-esque clickathon that is online sabre battles. Instead people can chose to try and block and counter, picking their moment.

It will also encourage the use of force powers as an adjunct to sabre-play, ie using push to disengage from a duel or pull to stop someone making an escape.

The speed will be there, people will be forced to actually invest points in force speed, this will help decrease the number of level 3 grippers.

Hobnail: You seem to forget gun and saber FFAs. If the default speed is lowered, you're also going to have to retune every gun, or else it will be like shooting ducks in a barrel.

Perhaps you might be able to think of a way around that?

BUG:

- stealth mission where you need to move from one room to the next in the dark. If you hit the switch once and do not sneak at that time, it will never work again. So if you saved after you tripped the lightswitch, then you will need to restart the level.

- problems in single and multiplayer where jump key will not work sometimes when I am trying to run and jump at same time. I fell off alot of platforms because of this problem.

ENHANCEMENT:

- make jedi bots more intelligent like they are in single player. Make them not run away when attacked, use force push to deflect/redirect rockets and weapons.

-make enemy ai stormtroopers more aggressively pick up and use weapons that have been force pulled from them.

- make enemy ai surround you if possible so you cannot deflect all their projectiles with your lightsaber.

- be able to zoom in with sniper rifle and move at the same time when walking or crouching.

Please make another addon mission pack quickly and with MUCH less puzzles! I think I liked the game the more I played it.

- who ever designed the AI for the dark jedi was really good. If you use anything other than a lightsabre on them, you are screwed.

* they will redirect grenades you throw at them (except for low level evil jedi I ran into earlier in the game. I actually thought I figured a way to kill all the jedi until the game progressed. Then the dark jedi started redirecting the grenades back at me! :>). They will avoid laser trip mines, they will knock over sentry guns, they will push away det packs. Really good job raven AI developer!

Not sure if this would be qualified as a bug, but in SP when fighting Stormtroopers armed with missile launchers, must they still desire to shoot at point-blank range? I hate suicidal fighters in games, and it doesn't make any sense here. I mean, I'm two feet away and they're launching rockets...

Bug:

The stats screen that appears just before you enter a new level should stay up until you hit Enter. As it is now you barely have enough time to read it before it goes away.

Enhancements:

1. Make bots voice taunt you like the single player jedi duels.

2. Make the combat more like the single player game. The bots don't seem to use force jump much and I've never seen saber lock like there is in the SP game. They also run backwards and away too much.

3. More skins.

4. An expansion pack. Pulleeze! This is wonder full stuff you have and I want more!

5. Make it so we have more control over bot jedi powers. Make their setup just like your characters setup screen so that we can craft bots with specific powers.

6. Darth Mauls Double lightsaber without the cheats. I would also like to be able to wield duel lightsabers like Anakin in the new movie trailer.

7. A menu, once you have completed the level, that allows you to quickly go back and battle vs the bosses again.

8. In came voice taunts and messages like in Halflife and quake III TA. This is essential for team play.

9. Bots that respond to a duel request.

10. Darth Vader skin and a battle with taunts.

First, now days everybody uses the heavy stance and use the double jump hacking technique to play the game. (Heavy stance, jump+fire, jump again)

The attack is undefeatable, and you can't block. Even if after the player lands, the lightsaber poke can kill you.

I think Raven should patch out this technique in the next JK2 patch...

and make more taunts!!

Originally posted by Jedi-TalonClaw

Bug:

The stats screen that appears just before you enter a new level should stay up until you hit Enter. As it is now you barely have enough time to read it before it goes away.

We wouldn't happen to be referring to the (default) TAB function, would we (just hold it down)? Or is there some other stat screen you're talking about?

I would enjoy the multiplayer aspect better if it were possible to use 3rd party skins/models online, without the server needing to host the skins/models.

This was somthing that we ALWAYS wanted in JK1, but alas, it was not available. But this Q3 engine has that ability does'nt it? I really think it should be implimented in a patch! Help us Raven! You are our only hope!

Also, if a patch is made soon, please fix the lightsabers so they light up a darkened area with their glow. I would think that you would have done that when you first started work on the lightsaber system. I'm actually surprised that it was missed, and I don't know if it can be changed now, but if it's possible...well anyway, that's my humble request. Thanks!

Kyp.

BUGS:

Hitting Tab will make my game stutter in MP. Which is a bad thing, especially when I'm being a server since that makes everyone else lag like crazy.

My logitech iFeel mouse's third (middle) button doesn't work. I know Black & White and Tribes 2 got it to work, so I know it's possible. That, and the actual wheel doesn't work either.

System stats:

1400 MHz Pentium IV

Memory: 384MB RDRAM PC800 Memory

Hard Drive: 40GB 7M Ultra ATA Hard Drive

Video Card: 64MB DDR ATI RADEON VE AGP Graphics Accel w/DVI and TV Out

CDRW: 12x/8x/32x Recordable/Rewriteable CDRW

DVD-ROM: 16X/48X DVD-ROM Drive

Sound Card: Sound Blaster Live PCI Sound Card

Modem: 56K PCI Voice Modem

Network Card: Linksys PCI 10/100 NIC Card Standard Height

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

Enhancement:

You should be able to sense where your opponents are, right? So in MP, why not add the option of little arrows that show where your opponent is on the side of the screen? As in, which way to turn and stuff. And if you enter a duel... of -course- the only arrow that would show up would be the person you were duelling. Otherwise, only people close to you would show up.

Archived