Home

Lucasforums scandel! WE MUST KNOW TRUTH!

Divine Spirit

Not soon enough, the moderators decide to make a sticky rules thread and thats fine. i think its a great idea because so many people are getting out of hand....by why, may i ask, is one of those people getting out of hand our very own matt-windu?

2. Refrain from using profanity in your posts.

rule 2 is broken IN THE VERY POST he made the rule in! just look at his rank! in a short while i expect it to be changed so for all you who dont get to see it it says: Sneaky B*****d

scandel, sleaze, horror, disgrace and other such melodramatic words spring to mind. this story of corruption is on a Tony Blair scale!

at the end of the post it says:

They have been modified mainly by OnlyOneCanoli

so there are TWO moderaters involved in the power struggle over controlling the lucasforums as both failed to recognise the contradictions made by the rule! i know we 'commoners', as i may have heard a moderator call us, may not be within the law all the time but i think it is the role of the moderators to be a role model for the rest of the forums, dont u agree?

now the penalty.....as there isnt actually a penalty applying to matt-windus rule-breaking actions i would like to make a public plea for changing ur rank! im sure many young children view these forums and could be insulted or learn new words by ur horrible words and i dont think they are appropriate for this place.

therefore i make this thread:

mods.jpg

thank you all for your time!

Profanity is defined as use of profane language. Profane is defined as "1 : to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt : DESECRATE

2 : to debase by a wrong, unworthy, or vulgar use." Bastard is a perfectly valid word. It has a real meaning. It means someone born outside of wedlock. While I was, in fact born in wedlock, I am no more out of line then someone that has a rank reading 'Jedi' or similar. I suppose that rule could use some revising.

Thanks for the input...but I would hardly term this as a 'scandel.'

I wouldn't consider damn a profanity.

But a word like bast**d used OUT OF CONTEXT is what I would call profane language. Otherwise we will have people using these words well out of context, but claiming they are real words, which they'd be right to claim.

So, it leaves the forum rules being mocked by the mod who posted the sticky.

Isn't that getting a pit nit-picky? The rules are fairly simple, keep the profanity down. If you let one slip (I know, that's kind of technically impossible, but...), they aren't going to ban you. Just don't cuss like a dirty little you-know-what.

Not to mention, like it or hate it, they're the mods. We aren't.

Well, why not be picky, why leave large "grey" areas in the rules, so that people can flaunt them? It appears that some people on this forum when given an out, or an opportunity, will use it to the max. Personally I have been a little narked off over the last week with the apparent lack of respect and maturity shown by a few of the posters.

To let a profanity slip is intentional, so why not make those "marginal" words, the ones that have a legit meaning, but used out of context are ones people should be pulled up on and given a warning.

Are you suggesting that like TV, that we are letting what used to be classed as profane language to now be passed and used as passable language?

I just want to have some kind of clear interpretation of the rules made clear by the mods, that where there are some grey areas, before someone complains about being banned for something they considered the rules to allow.

To me, the rules are easy to follow, but as seen by many over the last week, there are more than enough posters out there that have no idea about what is acceptable..

I think you misunderstood, I meant the guy who started this thread was being picky... but now that you mention it...

I actually think that having some grey areas in the rules can be a good thing, as long as the moderators do what is right. After all, if we make too defined of rules, people will still find ways around them, then say that "it wasn't stated in the rules, and the rules are supposed to encompass everything, right?".

At any rate, what I was meaning to say was that the rules are appropriate, and that this guy is being picky and trying to find things to complain about.

It's simple people, USE COMMON SENSE. Bottom line.

Originally posted by matt-windu

It has a real meaning.

as said by dictionary.com

**** Pronunciation Key (sht) Vulgar Slang

v. ****, also shat (sht) ****·ting, ****s

v. intr.

n.

1. Excrement.

so as dictionary.com says, **** has a real meaning and it just so happens to mean exrement and this means, within ur rules, we can all use **** as a normal word

as said by dictionary.com

ass·hole Pronunciation Key (shl)

n. Vulgar Slang

1. The anus.

and also ******* has a real meaning. just the name for part of the human body

in fact, go to http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=******* and scroll down a tiny bit and you will see a list of words, all of them swear words, and in that list the word bastard is contained. just click on those words and you will see that they all have a real meaning

i could continue using worse language but i think u get the point

Oh, for the love of...

Divine Spirit, how old are you? Because I know that I learned to get over the whole "when it's appropriate to cuss" thing around age 12/13, at the latest. If you are this age, then I apologize. If you're older, grow up. This is a chat board on the internet, and they want to keep it clean. Use your brain, and don't complain.

I think that was my point I was trying to get acorss, that people will find a way if you give them one to be jerks on a forum.......

The original point of the thread was suggesting that the mod couldn't really keep within his own forum rules, which has now lead to the discussion of what we consider appropriate language....

The problem with that, BCanr2d2, is that if people don't know what IS and what ISN'T appropriate by now, then they really won't listen to you when you tell them what is. They will simply post dumb threads such as this one, and try to argue with you.

The simplest explanation is not try to be their mothers, and if they do get out of hand, ban them.

as i am starting to see flaming and directed abuse (rule 1) i am going to put an end to this thread

you have all misssed the point

cant you see that im joking? maybe i took things too far but can u guys stop taking this thread so seriously!

i said:

scandel, sleaze, horror, disgrace and other such melodramatic words spring to mind. this story of corruption is on a Tony Blair scale!

do u think i was serious?? does that not sound like a joke to you?

Originally posted by Divine Spirit

do u think i was serious??

No :) (when are you ever? :p)

does that not sound like a joke to you?

It does (and did) :D

I think that the second post you made was taking it too far, and certainly made it seem a lot more like you were serious...

Originally posted by MasterD-LeyAmas

Oh. Then my apologies. Your sarcasm was perhaps a bit too dry for me to catch. That doesn't happen often... maybe I'm getting a bit too preachy. :D

sorry for misleading you. i suppose a few [sarcasm][/sarcasm] things could have helped :D

Originally posted by Wacky_Baccy

I think that the second post you made was taking it too far, and certainly made it seem a lot more like you were serious...

sorry

er....its against the rules to make one word replies so ill have to turn this into something else....

so hows the weather at your place?

Originally posted by Divine Spirit

sorry

er....its against the rules to make one word replies so ill have to turn this into something else....

so hows the weather at your place?

Probably the same as yours :) (we don't live all that far away from each other, after all :p;))

It's typical Midlands weather, really - overcast, a bit windy, sun refuses to co-operate... :D

Lately I've just been moving and deleting threads, and not actually posting. It's the kind of maturity that you guys display that keeps me away from here some times...

But I can see this thread is going nowhere, hence i declare it closed. I'll be here a lot more often now. Actually got time on my hands now.

So behave. One more mod is back on the job :)

Archived