Home

Small survey..

Hi-Jinx

When you played EMI, what kind of controller/controls did you use?

I have a microsoft sidewinder and I didn't find it that bad, I had the nearest top two smaller buttons for inventory and cancel decsion/switch/ object. (the remaining 3rd button had no use)

The two bottom buttons for select and examine objects and my direction pad. (the other 3rd button on that row had no use either.)

Even though I feel that the directional pad let me down a lot with thumbache. I didn't feel like this was one of the reasons that would make me feel frustrated at times with the game. It was actually the realisation of what could've made it that little bit better for me.

I actually wonder if it would be a better experience playing it with an Analog(ue) pad than my now ageing Sidewinder. (If only they made directional pads as sensitive as joysticks such as the now rare and partly extinct Speedking Pro I used to have for my Atari ST)

I've been observing a few posts by members of the MI community as a whole and it seems that the controller issue has a slightly major part in why the game 'sucked'

So, just a little poll really, what's your views about controlling guybrush and how did it affect your gameplay and experience?

I used the keyboard, which I don't mind really. There were some bugs of course, like when running in to walls and such, but I felt the controls worked well overall.

As for the claim that most of the community thought it 'sucked', I think it's more an issue of the people thinking it was a bad game being loud. I know I won't refend the game every time I see somebody complain at least.

I used a Logitech Wingman joystick. I don't remember the configuration too well, but like, the trigger was 'look' and the top button was 'use' and one of the buttons on the base was 'run'. The other buttons all did stuff.

It worked quite well, although having to move it so far to make Guybrush respond got to be a bit of a pain. So did being careless while holding the 'run' button and moving the stick, resulting in squashed fingers... but that's just because I'm stupid.

The controls weren't annoying per se, but Guybrush's tendency to bounce off things and run off in the opposite direction certainly was! Still, I prefer the good old-fashioned point-and-click. :)

That remind me, did you try playing it in the camera mode option? If I had to play any game with that option, It'ld drive me nuts.

RemiO: Theres a few I've seen that don't really give a reason why it sucks, so I went for the most commonly known excuse. *Shrugs* doesn't mean that I think the game is gospel.

I used the keyboard, and I personally didn't like it. I just prefer to use the mouse in adventure games. It's more comfertable and for some reason I tend to be able to solve puzzle when I'm not leaning over a keyboard trying to stop Guybrush from bouncing off walls(mabey it's just me). Sorry but I gotta do this:fett: :c3po::deathstar:deathii::lsduel::duel: wheee!!!!

Originally posted by Hi-Jinx

RemiO: Theres a few I've seen that don't really give a reason why it sucks, so I went for the most commonly known excuse. *Shrugs* doesn't mean that I think the game is gospel.

Yeah, and I didn't mean to suggest that you suggested anything else either (although it might have come out that way). I've just seen people slag off CMI and EMI loudly, claiming that anybody who don't agree with them aren't "true" Monkey Island-fans (whatever that is). Judging by the poll I posted it seems that most people support my point of view, which is good.

I used the Keyboard using the camera mode... i don't really mind cos i'm used to grim fandango, and loads of other games that use it.

I can't use Character mode cos i can't be bothered to turn and then walk.

Which is weird cos i don't mind in the RE games.

And i think the EMI controls are better Than Grims because he "locks" on a lot easier. I had to keep spinning round in circles in Grim until he looked at the right thing.

But i rilly don't mind the keyboard, but i still prefer mouse control...like CMI

I honestly didnt mind MI4's control's that much, yes they could be cumbersome and irritating occasionally but they were undoubtably the best control system lec could have picked for mi4.

I prefer mouse control on adventure games but there was no way that that would be possible on MI4 or indeed Grim Fandango.

I used a Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, but as some of you probably know its got a God-awful dpad that is an angle so when you press up you end up pressing left too. I then switched to using a playstation pad and that was much better.

A semi-positive EMI post, whats happening to me? :rolleyes:

I dont have a games controller for the PC, so naturally I used the keyboard. I thought the control system was fine, it certainly didn't ruin the game, in fact, it involved you more - because with EMI you actually are Guybrush, whereas in the other superior games you just tell him where to go.

I liked GF better though, it was less obvious and more realistic.

And I agree about the irritating sense of direction that Guybrush inherited from his father, John Wilkes Booth

Originally posted by bgbennyboy

I prefer mouse control on adventure games but there was no way that that would be possible on MI4 or indeed Grim Fandango.

Point-and-click can work in 3D, though! See Stupid Invaders or even (at a pinch) those awful RPG games (I played the demo of Farscape The Game for at least three minutes so obviously I know what I'm talking about! :rolleyes:)

As JRThomas says, the control system is to make the genre more like Tomb Raider and easier to port to consoles. Despite removing some of that classic adventure feeling, it's really not too bad. :)

EDIT:

Originally posted by scabb

...because with EMI you actually are Guybrush, whereas in the other superior games you just tell him where to go.

I was going to make this point, but then I couldn't be bothered. Now I can! Such a wonderful drink, tea.

I preferred controlling Guybrush (or any character) from a distance, actually. Having to maneuver characters around obstacles got to be a real pain in the arse. It was a lot more relaxing to simply tell him where to go and let him make his own way there, rather than holding his hand as he bumped into flippin' palm trees and ran off the screen in entirely the wrong direction. :)

Oh yeah, the controls in Stupid Invaders worked great! As with the rest of the game, they were just perfect! Just as amazing as all the jokes which usually ended with the word "poop"! Ho ho ho!

Couldn't you at least have used The Longest Journey as example? ¬ ¬

Originally posted by Huz

What? Such lies! Stupid Invaders was the perfect game! JA+ gave it an A (plus?) so it must have been good!

I forgot about The Longest Journey. Please accept my apologies. ;)

I'll let it slide this time. ¬ ¬ But you're right, JA+ knows adventures, which is why they had a glowing review of Grand Theft Auto 3 - the best adventure evar. Either that, or somebody's paying them off.

Archived