Home

The origin of my name?

leXX

Originally posted by BCanr2d2

cjais, you forgot that Dozer can easily "download" any information almost immediately into Lexx.

Now, you used LeXXX - is this the private XXX-rated Lexx?!! (Where's the video to prove it?! )

LMFAO!!! hahahahahaha!

Yeah... riiight....

Anyway, did you know that if you wrote leXX as "leXXY", she'd have a chromosome disease?

And for the record, I have a phobia of caps when they're uncalled for.... hence the leXXX (but could also refer to her immense amount of downloaded XXX-material, see that's what's *really* causing hermes to crash!)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Darth Clem

Girls XX

Boys XY

what happens if u have YY .... it must be possible for 2 men to have a child ... it does make me wonder

It actually IS possible for two men to have a baby (in a mother, who has had her egg-DNA removed), but the child won't live that long....

You could never have an YY baby. Why? Because you will always need a mother to give birth to it. If you implant a YY egg inside a mother, her dna is going to get passed through to the baby through the umbilical cord and the placenta, therefore giving the baby her XX chromosone. Therefore, a YY baby is not possible atm. ;)

Originally posted by Darth Clem

no lexx ur right it isnt possible in the standard (and more fun) manner

but with our technology we could make a YY baby (dread to think y ne1 would) its just a thought

It's sometimes done for cows - they use two sperm cells to fertilize an egg without DNA: the end resust is *sometimes* a YY calf.

More revealing still, the researchers checked for GM DNA only in the gut

contents, but failed to check if the DNA has passed through the gut into

the blood stream and blood cells. This omission is inexcusable, as a

series of experiments in mice dating back to 1997 had already documented

that GM DNA can pass through the gut wall into the bloodstream, to be

taken up by cells in the blood, liver and spleen. When fed to pregnant

mice, the GM DNA also passed through the placenta to be taken up by the

cells of the foetus and the newborn.

taken from http://www.organicconsumers.org/gefood/GMDNAinHumans.cfm

this proves dna passes through blood and placenta!

ok then .... how did they do dolly the sheep

they took the dna out of an egg .... they put the dna of the sheep to be cloned into the egg ... then they put it into a mother to grow to full size

surely this would work for YY babies 2

y on earth they picked a sheep to clone ill neva know ... "they look the same" ..... "but so does that 1 .... and that 1 .... and that 1 2!" THEY ALL LOOK THE SAME (ish)

Originally posted by cjais

That's all good n such...

But why oh why did you choose the latter part of the latin name for "cheetah" jub? Just because it sounded koolio? :p

Some years ago I was looking for a good handle to be used on the internet. I looked through an encyclopedia of animals, checked my favorite ones for a (at least to me) cool sounding latin name. Acinonyx Jubatus, a cheetah, was the one I found to be the best; has a nice sound to it in my ears....so there :)

Do I identify myself with a cheetah to any greater extent? Not really, though I do admire it. It's the fastest predator mammal on the planet yet it is so fragile. I learned from a nature program a cheetah needs to be in perfect condition to uphold its hunting capabilities; even a minor injury to one of its paws can spell certain doom to its hunting provess.

I took the name mostly for the name, not the animal it represents; that it was a cheetah was a side bonus :D But if you ask if I'd use the latin name for a hyena if it was cool sounding, then the answer is no - I simply loathe those carrion eating scum'o'de'earth.

In some instances I use Acinonyx, in others Jubatus and yet in others I use the full Acinonyx Jubatus.

That was a lot of explaining for a mere handle, no? :p

even if we had the technology to do it today (im sure we have it but there may be unforseen complications) i doubt it will be allowed by the government ... we dont know what would happen (well i dont ... if sum1 does a link would be nice) it would probably be cruel

As regards the use of hormones, using steroid hormones, induced females of T. mossambicais when crossed with male T. nilotica, produced super males with a "yy" sex chromosome combination. The "super males" crossed with female T. nilotica produced 100 percent male progenies which possessed the twin superiorities of being hybrid as well as male. The hybrids grew 38.5 percent faster than T. nilotica and the mass production increased by 43.4 percent. Although a sizeable gain, the difficulty in identifying the "super male" fish at fry stage is a major constraint to widespread exploitation.

http://216.239.37.100/search?q=cache:FbQThethORoC:www.fao.org/docrep/v4845e/V4845E08.htm+YY+chromosome+calf&hl=da&ie=UTF-8

This *should* end the debate, but I'll be happy to find more evidence. Fact is lexx, I'm writing a biology report where (among other things) I have to prove that a YY chromosome combination can exist. Sorry, I'm not very good at proving it, it seems.... *hangs head in shame*

I doubt the government would immediately ban it, as usual they would wait for someone to do it, then go "Oh no, better not let them do that" even though they were aware and probably gave funding to the technology that they ban.......

Hipocritical of them......

Xerxes became king of Persia at the death of his father Darius the Great in 485, at a time when his father was preparing a new expedition against Greece and had to face an uprising in Egypt (Herodotus' Histories, VII, 1-4). According to Herodotus, the transition was peaceful this time. Because he was about to leave for Egypt, Darius, following the law of his country had been requested to name his successor and to choose between the elder of his sons, born from a first wife before he was in power, and the first of his sons born after he became king, from a second wife, Atossa, Cyrus' daughter, who had earlier been successively wed to her brothers Cambyses and Smerdis, and which he had married soon after reaching power in order to confirm his legitimacy. Atossa was said to have much power on Darius and he chosed her son Xerxes for successor.

After quelling the revolt of Egypt, Xerxes finally decided to pursue the project of his father to subdue Greece, but made lengthy preparations for that. Among other things, remembering what had happened to Mardonius' expedition a few years earlier (his fleet had been destroyed by a tempest in 492 while trying to round Mount Athos), he ordered a channel to be opened for his fleet north of Mount Athos in Chalcidice. He also had two boat bridges built over the Hellespont near Abydus for his troop to cross the straits.

The expedition was ready to move in the spring of 480 and Xerxes himself took the lead. Herodotus gives us a colorful description of the Persian army that he evaluates at close to two million men and about twelve hundred ships (Histories, VII, 59-100). Modern historians find these figures irrealistic, if only for logistical reasons, and suppose the army was at most two hundred thousand men and the fleet no more than a thousand ships, but this still makes an impressive body for the time. Xerxes' expedition moved by land and sea through Thracia, the fleet following the army along the coast. It didn't meet resistance until it reached Thessalia, where the Persian army defeated the Spartans and their allies at the pass of Thermopylæ while, on sea, neither the Persian nor the Athenian fleet could win the decision in the battle that took place near Cape Artemisium, along the northern coast of the island of Euboea. Because of Themistocles' decision to evacuate Athens, Xerxes managed to take the city and set fire to the temples of the Acropolis, but his fleet was soon after destroyed by the Athenian fleet of Themistocles at the battle of Salamis (Herodotus' Histories, VIII, 83-96 ; a vivid description of the battle of Salamis may also be found in Æschylus' Persians, 272-510).

After this defeat, Xerxes returned to Asia via the Hellespont, leaving part of his army in Greece under the command of Mardonius. But the following year, after having taken Athens a second time, the Persian army was defeated, in September of 479, at Platæa, near Thebes in Boeotia, in a battle that lasted 13 days, in which Mardonius was killed (Herodotus' Histories, IX, 25-85) while, at about the same time, what remained of the Persian fleet was destroyed by a Greek fleet under the command of the Spartan general Leutychides off Cape Mycale, a promontory of the Ionian coast, north of Miletus, facing the island of Samos (Herodotus' Histories, IX, 90-106). This was not the end of the war between Persia and Greece, but it was the end of the incursions of the Persian army on mainland Greece. And without a fleet, Persia had to abandon control of the sea to Athens.

Xerxes died in 465, assassinated probably upon order by one of his sons, Artaxerxes, who succeeded him.

In the Laws, Plato compares Xerxes to Cambyses in that, as him, he was victim of his education at the court, unlike his father Darius, who was not a son of king (Laws, III, 695c-e). And he goes on to say that it is almost impossible for someone raised in an extremely rich family to become virtuous, and to explain thus why there was no other great king of Persia after Darius. But it is Xerxes who serves as an example to Callicles in the Gorgias to show that the stronger should have a greater share (Gorgias, 483c-e).

is that the one?

Archived