Home

Mac Monkey Island 3!!??

UniAce

Agh! Why wasn't Monkey Island 3 released for the Mac? Why 1, 2, and 4!?? What am I supposed to do with no 3??

Anyone have any suggestions? Did 3 (CMI) require a 3d video card? Because I could always run Windows in VirtualPC, but last I heard, VPC didn't support using a Mac's 3d hardware for Windows apps. However, that was a few version ago, so it might be different now. I've got a G4 733 so it might be able to handle it if the software's all there.

Also, the version of Windows I've got is Win98. Did CMI work okay w/ that?

Anyone ever try playing CMI on a Mac?

Please help!

I'm not a Mac user, but I've heard that you can run CMI fine in VPC. Here's a quote from LucasMacs:

EMI progress and The Missing Link

January 3, 2001

So, we have Monkey 1: Secret of Monkey Island, 2: LeChucks Revenge, and soon 4: Escape from Monkey Island. That leaves a nice gaping hole where 3 should go. For reasons unknown (other than an obviously poor (for Mac users) decision by LucasArts marketing) the third game, Curse of Monkey Island, was never ported, leaving Mac users with a hole in the story line, and more importantly unable to play one of the better adventure games ever made. Natively, that is.

Thanks to VirtualPC, a piece of software that emulates Wintel hardware, Mac users can get ahold of CMI and play it from start to finish. While not capable of handling 3D PC-only monsters like Half-Life very well, VirtualPC has very little problem handling 2D games like Curse on most new systems. My year and a half old G3 handled it with just minor skipping in cinematics and a twinge of sound lag (the sound lag decreased significantly when I upgraded from 3.0 to 4.0, but it was still present), but those owning G4's should get a near flawless gaming experience thanks to version 4.0's AltiVec/Velocity Engine enhanced code! The joy of being able to play CMI on your Mac comes at a hefty price, though. $199.00 to be exact, assuming you don't already own a copy of Windows 98. CMI itself is pretty cheap at the moment, though, selling for only $9.99 at Amazon.

The other big Mac EMI news of late is that Jesse Spears has reported to games.macnn.com that MacEMI has reached alpha status! Along with this news of progress is a full overview of the game. Likely if you're reading this site you already know the basic story and have seen the screenshots, but it's worth checking out anyway, if only to get that special Mac touch... or something.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I still haven't tried CMI on a G4, but if you have anything above a 500 mhz G4 and a very recent version of virtual PC (4 or later), you should be fine.

HOWEVER THIS IS IMPORTANT: Don't bother trying to run it in emulated XP, NT4, 2000, or Me. Use Windows 95 or Windows 98. Otherwise you'll probably have tons of annoying sound issues that all the later versions of windows have on actual PC's. It's not worth the effort! Just make a VPC disk image with a Win98b install on it and enjoy.

• 5 weeks later...

on my 1st post Gabez posted

Originally posted by Gabez

It’s best not to get people to e-mail you, as it makes this thread pretty pointless and puts helpers through the bother of adding the attachment.

iam sorry about my speling

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing

Archived