Home

Is this a dead forum?

Chase Windu

I think 'mistakes' are simply in the eye of the beholder. Nintendo is actually using excellent cautious tactics since they don't have the money to throw around like Sony and MS towards something that could turn up bulltripe like online play with a seperate modem or an online service, respectively. Delays? So what? Considering every Nintendo title produced in the past forever has been top notch, I'll wait as long as it takes for Metroid, Zelda, whatever.

That said, I consider my Gamecube to be a more complementary system to my PS2. My Xbox mostly collects dust since there's honestly nothing I want for it that's out right now that I don't already have or have for another system. If anyone is making a mistake, I'd say it's Microsoft and its super anti-mod chipping stance, pay-to-use-plus-maybe-more-fees online service, and, Sega aside, games that mostly appeal to a casual audience.

I'd like Halo a lot more if the single player didn't suck and I had someone to play with or against regularily.

...I'm just hearing reports of Final Fantasy moving back to Nintendo... exclusively... also that Nintendo is moving more towards teen gaming (just look at Metroid Prime) and Nintendo has announced that they are definately not out of the console race and will release a next gen console down the track...

Mercatfat is correct in saying that mistakes are in the eye of the beholder as Chase has shown us. :D

For someone that owns just a GC, Rare going to Microsoft would be much like getting spit in the face I imagine. But if you have a GC and an Xbox, there really isn't much reason to care.

Originally posted by Chase Windu

1. Look at the new Zelda game.

Looked at it. Looks great.

2. Look at Zelda again.

Okay. Looked at it again. Still looks great.

3. A lot of their games are for children yet they claim they aren't just for kids.

Ah, I see. You're one of those guys. Still, rather than instantly dismiss the rest of your list as the biased rantings of an idiot fanboy, I'll soldier on.

4. Look at their commercials. They suck. They don't make my excited for any of their products.

Commercials??? You were really desperate to pad this list, weren't you?

5. Mario Sunshine was a huge disappiontment.

According to who?

6. They dropped Rareware and then Microsoft picked them up the same day.

They dropped an underperforming second-party that was failing to make money, instead opting to put faith in promising second parties like Silicon Knights and Retro Studios. If Metroid Prime turns out to be as good as it looks, I think they'll be vindicated. I agree it's a smart piece of business from Microsoft, though.

7. Doesn't have integrated memory so you have to pay 20 bucks for a thing that doesn't have that much memory to save your games.

Okay, I don't know what "integrated memory" is, so I'll skip this one until someone can explain it to me.

8. Can't play DVD movies.

Yes, in order to keep the price down, Nintendo made a system that is only a game console, not a poor-quality DVD player. Big mistake.

9. Graphics cut down because of such a small disk. They cut 'em down to make it fit.

It doesn't quite work that way, Sparky.

10. They keep pushing game releases back. And game still sucks when released.

Pushing game releases back until they're finished you mean? I'd also like to say I love the way you're all "GayCube sux because the games are late", but you're excited about Rare developing for X-Box. Because Rare are famous for their punctuality.

11. When game cube came out had hardly any games for it out.

This was true of all this generation's consoles on release. Besides, you seem to be having trouble with your tense. This is hardly a mistake Nintendo are making.

12. Say games they are working on are going to be awesome but when they come out and everybody is excited fot it the game turns out to suck or not be as good.

I think this last one stands pretty well on its own.

I could go on forever with the mistakes they're making.

Really? It seems like you ran out half way through that list, then had to pad it out with stock entries from your "Resons why X-Box rulz and KiddieCube is tehSUCK!!!!1" list.

He smoked ya, Chase. :rhett:

Chase does bring up some things that I somewhat agree with though.

I love, no, adore the fact that the Xbox doesn't require you to buy memory cartidges to save games.

I think what Chase ment by "lowering graphics" was that cutscenes and movies have to be somewhat lowered in quality to fit onto Gamecubes discs. That's not so in all cases though.

[bitterness]I know they have other companies to put faith into but they still shouldn't have dropped Rareware. [/end bitterness] ;)

I hate many of their commercials too. :D Some are cool but others... frighten me.

After seeing to 2000 Zelda demo then seeing the new version unvieled I was quite shocked. And not in a good way. But now I'm ok with the look but I'd still like to see one like the 2000 demo showed.

Originally posted by Boba Rhett

Chase does bring up some things that I somewhat agree with though.

I love, no, adore the fact that the Xbox doesn't require you to buy memory cartidges to save games.

So this was a reference to the X-Box's harddrive then? Considering how much the hard disk adds to the X-Box's production cost, I don't think you could call the GameCube's lack of one a mistake. It makes financial sense.

I think what Chase ment by "lowering graphics" was that cutscenes and movies have to be somewhat lowered in quality to fit onto Gamecubes discs. That's not so in all cases though.

If this is indeed a reference to cinematics, then that is true. Damn, is the payoff worth it, though. The GameCube's load times are incredible.

[bitterness]I know they have other companies to put faith into but they still shouldn't have dropped Rareware. [/end bitterness] ;)

Understandable, although I'm not much of a Rare fan myself. I think the move is a good one for all parties, though. Nintendo just weren't seeing returns on their investment in Rare, while Microsoft badly needs quality X-Box exclusive releases.

After seeing to 2000 Zelda demo then seeing the new version unvieled I was quite shocked. And not in a good way. But now I'm ok with the look but I'd still like to see one like the 2000 demo showed.

I may have actually wept when I saw the version of Zelda shown at SpaceWorld. But the movies shown at the most recent E3 were amazing, and the next Zelda title has regained its rightful place at the top of my most wanted game list. And that's a list that also includes Metroid Prime.

For Nintendo they're making a good amount of money on memory cards and we're losing a good amount of money. That's good for Nintendo but not for us.

No, it's good for us because it means Nintendo get to stay in business. The cost of the hard-drive is one of the reasons Microsoft are losing money on the X-Box. Nintendo don't have the finances Microsoft do, they can't afford to throw money away fitting their consoles with a feature most prospective customers couldn't give a **** about.

Yes, I am. Now that you mention it, I'm also sick of throwing money away on games. When you buy a GameCube, you should get a coupon that gets you all the free games you want. I think Nintendo are making a big mistake by not doing that.

You really are a complete moron, aren't you?

Not giving a **** about? :eek: A memory card is twenty bucks a pop around here. Considering the Xbox is only 50 bucks more than the GC I'd say it's worth it just for the fact that it has a harddrive. Financial sense? It may make financial sense for Nintendo not to include a hdd but it doesn't make me happy. And why would it make me happy that they're saving money? :confused: Microsoft losing money in order to get me to buy their product? Swheet! I'd say Chase isn't the only one here who's being a tad fanboyish. ;)

Not giving a **** about? :eek: A memory card is twenty bucks a pop around here. Considering the Xbox is only 50 bucks more than the GC I'd say it's worth it just for the fact that it has a harddrive. Financial sense? It may make financial sense for Nintendo not to include a hdd but it doesn't make me happy. And why would it make me happy that they're saving money? :confused:

Because it allows them to stay in business? Nintendo don't have the deep pockets that allow them to throw money away like that.

Microsoft losing money in order to get me to buy their product? Swheet! I'd say Chase isn't the only one here who's being a tad fanboyish. ;)

You could say that, but you'd be wrong. I'm just applying a little of the common sense that Chase seems to be violently allergic to.

How would he be wrong?

Because my comments are motivated by my hatred of fanboyism, not by fanboyism of my own.

You're spending more money on memory cards than I am while not buying memory cards with a system that has a built in hard drive.

Yes, we've established you don't like buying memory cards. That's not really the point.

Finish this sentence for me: "Nintendo would benefit from putting a hard-drive in the GameCube because..."

I don't think I would be wrong. You're basically taking the standpoint that Nintendo can do no wrong. So yes, you are being a fanboy.

Nintendo made something like 6 billion last year. They have money to throw around. Sure not as much, but they have it to throw around.

Quit calling names as well. :tsk: It doesn't help you prove your points. It weakens your whole case and makes a person want to blow off anything relevant that you may have said.

Like it or not, you're both being fanboys about this. And it'll only get uglier if you keep fighting. So let's just stop.

I don't think I would be wrong. You're basically taking the standpoint that Nintendo can do no wrong. So yes, you are being a fanboy.

I'm doing nothing of the sort. Nowhere in this thread have I taken a standpoint anything like "Nintendo can do no wrong". I bought a Nintendo 64, I know that nothing could be further from the truth. I just happen to believe that Nintendo are making a damn impressive showing in this generation of consoles. For all the mistakes they've made, taking heavy financial losses by fitting all their systems with a luxury item at no extra cost to the consumer isn't one of them.

Nintendo made something like 6 billion last year. They have money to throw around. Sure not as much, but they have it to throw around.

Throwing around is one thing. Throwing away is another.

Quit calling names as well. :tsk: It doesn't help you prove your points. It weakens your whole case and makes a person want to blow off anything relevant that you may have said.

Considering the brand of Bizarro-logic Chase has been utilising in this thread, I think limiting myself to a solitary "moron" qualifies as an impressive show of restraint.

*Sigh*

Rhett, would you like to tell me again why it's wrong to call this guy a moron?

Answer me this Chase, are you so stubborn that you are unable to admit you're wrong, even after the logic behind your only argument has been torn apart? Or are you having such difficulty following this thread that you actually believe this tired point you keep dragging up has any relevance to what's being discussed?

Bizarro-logic? You're the one who want's to pay more for memory in the long run.

I don't. But what I want to do has nothing at all to do with what we were talking about.

In my opinion memory cards should be used for transfering saved games from one console to another and not for using them as a main source for memory for a single console. If you use memory cards for one console then in the long run you'll be wasting money.

Now, this is good. You seem to be familiar with the idea of "wasting money". Better yet, you seem to understand that it's a bad thing. So let's try this again:

Why is Nintendo deciding not to lose money on every console they sell by including a built-in hard-drive a mistake?

I'll give you a hint: "Because I like getting things for free, better than I like paying for them" isn't the right answer.

Why isn't that a correct answer? Xbox wants to get their consoles out there so badly that their willing to take that hit. The real money is made in selling the games. Not the consoles. That's what he ment when he said that Nintendo was making a mistake by not, "putting out" so to speak. ;)

Not having to buy memory cards was a large selling point for me personally. Oh well, everyone is different. That's why you two will never see eye to eye, and that's ok.

I don't want this to escalate any further and it's obovious that there's not going to be a resolution to this debate in the near future so I'll go ahead and close this and move it over to the Console Discussion board.

Archived